Ham Radio Information Seminar

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Ham Radio Information Seminar

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

On Friday, June 29th, I along with a good friend will be giving an information seminar about ham radio. It's really a "What is Ham Radio" seminar targeting kids and their parents. It will be at PSC Shooting Club, Inc. in Friendswood from 7:00PM to approx. 8:30PM. This is a free seminar, but registration is required so we don't overbook the classroom. (The limit is 40 people.)

This seminar will also offer registration for the free Technician Class course Eric and I will teach on July 19 - 20. The only cost will be the course material that people need to purchase from W5YI before the class. Again, the target audience is young folks, but parents are encouraged to participate as well. While we can set 40 people for the seminar, we can only accommodate 24 people for the class.

I'm posting this message for Forum Members who have kids who may be interested. The last time this was offered, it was for Club members only. Again, parents are welcome also, but we need to limit these two events to adults who are bringing kids. We will be discussing the Texas Youth Amateur Radio Club and how kids can get involved.

Click Here to register for the seminar.

Chas.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Ham Radio Information Seminar

Post by mojo84 »

This is a good idea. Any chance you may be willing to do a webinar on this for us not so young folks that are not in the area? I have been kicking around the idea of getting my license and have been somewhat indecisive about it because I am trying to get a better understanding of it's practical uses and advantages. Something like this and the other threads on this subject might give me the nudge I need to move forward.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mojo84 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:39 am This is a good idea. Any chance you may be willing to do a webinar on this for us not so young folks that are not in the area? I have been kicking around the idea of getting my license and have been somewhat indecisive about it because I am trying to get a better understanding of it's practical uses and advantages. Something like this and the other threads on this subject might give me the nudge I need to move forward.
I don't know how well that would work, but I don't mind giving it a try. The PowerPoint presentation I prepared it geared toward kids, but it will get the information out.

Chas.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

No biggie. Just seems like there are several on here that are considering getting licensed and are still on the fence. We probably just need to make a decision and move on. Thanks for your willingness to give is a shot. Maybe some others can chime in with their thoughts.

Hope it goes well with the kiddos.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jason812 »

mojo84 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:39 am This is a good idea. Any chance you may be willing to do a webinar on this for us not so young folks that are not in the area? I have been kicking around the idea of getting my license and have been somewhat indecisive about it because I am trying to get a better understanding of it's practical uses and advantages. Something like this and the other threads on this subject might give me the nudge I need to move forward.
I've been lurking on the HAM threads and y'all have me leaning towards getting one too. I would be on board for a webinar.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LTUME1978 »

Anyway locals (PSC members) without kids can attend? If not, any chance of a class for older kids :-) . This sounds like something that would be worthwhile but I know nothing about the subject and would be interested in getting some base knowledge.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

LTUME1978 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:46 pm Anyway locals (PSC members) without kids can attend? If not, any chance of a class for older kids :-) . This sounds like something that would be worthwhile but I know nothing about the subject and would be interested in getting some base knowledge.
It will depend on how many register. I suspect the answer will be yes but remind me on Thursday.

Chas.

Return to “Off-Topic”