Are our glory days behind us? Yes, I think they are.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

flowrie
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Are our glory days behind us? Yes, I think they are.

Post by flowrie »

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2018/06/ ... -stations/

Just a matter of time, some leftist fanatic will seriously hurt someone or worse.
All motivated by the leftist pols.
Just afraid it will get worse before it gets better, if ever.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by crazy2medic »

Scary part this is politically motivated violence, sooner or later there is going to be blood letting, once that happens the genie will be out of the bottle!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Scott Farkus
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Scott Farkus »

crazy2medic wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:35 pm Scary part this is politically motivated violence, sooner or later there is going to be blood letting, once that happens the genie will be out of the bottle!
There already has been blood letting - last year at the Congressional Republicans softball practice. It's a miracle nobody was killed, although Scalise almost was. But I agree, there will be a triggering event that will set things into motion. What that event is, I don't know. But I think we're getting closer every day.

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Smokey613 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:25 am I think our courts have done a lot to corrupt our Republic. I am no attorney nor highly educated individual but I like to think I have good common sense. For over 30 years I have held the opinion that " Case Law" is unconstitutional. I do not believe our founders intended our courts to create law but we have allowed them to do so without rebuttal. Okay, off my little insignificant soap box. Yes, this is one of my pet peeves.
You are correct. The left has corrupted just about all of our institutions from the universities to the government bureaucracies to the media, and that all plays a role but their corruption of the courts is, in my opinion, the single biggest cause of our current political and cultural strife and dysfunction, for the reasons you mentioned. The left has figured out that they can get from the courts what they can't through the legislatures, and because there is essentially no recourse they have no incentive to even attempt compromise, civility or tolerance any more.

This is not by accident, it's been decades in the making. The courts were never, ever supposed to have this much power. I honestly don't know how you fix it other than to keep electing conservatives and pray they appoint solid judges, but even under the best of circumstances that's going to take a generation to correct. And as we've seen far too often in the past, those judges become susceptible to liberal creep once they ascend to their ivory towers.

I don't know. We're in a very dangerous place as a country right now.

edited to add: the left has also made significant inroads into the boardrooms of major and not so major corporations, which used to be the very definition of status quo stodgy conservatism. Largely in an effort to avoid the wrath of the SJW's, but also because the liberal indoctrination has now permeated even the business and STEM-related academia worlds that produce these leaders, corporations are interjecting themselves into social causes - invariably on the liberal side - far more than most people would have thought possible even a decade ago.

It's real bad.

BBYC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BBYC »

Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

flowrie wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:32 pm http://www.breitbart.com/video/2018/06/ ... -stations/

Just a matter of time, some leftist fanatic will seriously hurt someone or worse.
All motivated by the leftist pols.
Just afraid it will get worse before it gets better, if ever.
Maxine Waters doesn’t have Trump Derangement Syndrome- she is and has been just deranged.

Careful Ms. Waters, what you seek may be a boomerang headed in your direction.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtsch ... e-n2494043
Only liberals can choose not to go down the road to widespread, systematic violence. But if they choose poorly, Normals are ready, willing, and able stop them. Last month, Normal Americans bought over two million new guns. They’ve got 400 million already. Normals are sitting on a towering mountain of lead-launching freedom.

But we’d prefer the option the liberals have ignored – a return to a society where disputes are resolved via the processes outlined in the Constitution and the individual rights set forth within it are respected.

Don’t go with violence, progressives. It will end badly.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

wil

Post by wil »

EastTexasRancher wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:43 pm I sit here as a 55 year old person, looking at today's political, moral, and economic landscape. I truly fear that our country is in decline, and we're not far from collapse, if we're not already going down that slippery slope on a greased slide. It truly saddens me as to what I see going on today. A differing opinion has you labeled as a hater, being successful has you labeled as privileged, being a gun owner has you labeled as crazy, etc.

I think we're there: the stupid people have brought us down to their level, and are now whipping our rear with experience.

The only solace I take is that I retire here in a few short years, then will retreat to the woods where hopefully I can find refuge with like-minded folk.

My father would be exasperated if he were alive today.
Glory days as defined how? Nowadays compared to a previous time in our nations history? What time-frame and why?

Glory days as defined by what the country was founded on and /or stands for?

Collapse? Collapse of what? Civic institutions? Economic? Civil standards? Cultural standards?

This is not to ridicule or insult your question or your observations. Only to define what is a bonafide comparision and why?
Have things changed for the worse? Yes, they have.

Are things changing for the better now or is there a genuine prospect of that happening? The start of that has happened depending on how one defines 'for the better'.

If 'for the better' means the country remaining as-is, no, those days are coming to a close and that phase of the country's existence is ending.
If that's coming to an end, what comes next is better? That has a lot of factors involved and what is better needs to be defined and why it is the correct definition.
Based on what I see going on now what comes next will be better than now although not for the country as it exists now.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

This post reminds me of a song. Here's a bit of the lyrics.
Stop rolling down hill
Like a snowball headed for Hell
Stand up for the Flag
And let's all ring the Liberty Bell

Let's make a Ford and a Chevy
Still last ten years like they should
The best of the free life is still yet to come
The good times ain't over for good.
People thought it was bad back in 1982 when Merle Haggard wrote that song. But there have been a lot of good times since then. The times ahead will certainly be different, but I have to have faith that my grandchildren will stand up to the powers that are trying to destroy our country.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

bblhd672 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:38 pm https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtsch ... e-n2494043
Only liberals can choose not to go down the road to widespread, systematic violence. But if they choose poorly, Normals are ready, willing, and able stop them. Last month, Normal Americans bought over two million new guns. They’ve got 400 million already. Normals are sitting on a towering mountain of lead-launching freedom.

But we’d prefer the option the liberals have ignored – a return to a society where disputes are resolved via the processes outlined in the Constitution and the individual rights set forth within it are respected.

Don’t go with violence, progressives. It will end badly.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

I praying for a great revival! Jesus is America 's Only True Hope!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

EastTexasRancher wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:43 pm I truly fear that our country is in decline, and we're not far from collapse, if we're not already going down that slippery slope on a greased slide.
according to history, the USA as a country has been overdue for a collapse for awhile now. within the next 10-20 yrs i think we'll all either be speaking chinese, arabic, or russian
NRA Member

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

This thread makes me think some. I can remember when my generation was 18-28 from 1979-1989 and how the older group of "old Farts" constantly talked of fearing for the future because of us.

Now that we are the "old farts" we speak of how it is all going to hell in a hand basket. But somehow, somewhere along our paths in life, we got our minds right.

I have the same hope that this new generation of youngsters will do the same at some point.

wil

Post by wil »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:53 pm This thread makes me think some. I can remember when my generation was 18-28 from 1979-1989 and how the older group of "old Farts" constantly talked of fearing for the future because of us.

Now that we are the "old farts" we speak of how it is all going to hell in a hand basket. But somehow, somewhere along our paths in life, we got our minds right.

I have the same hope that this new generation of youngsters will do the same at some point.
Generation Z, as they're referred to, is coming. Judging from the information available, they are going to be the political lefts' worst nightmare.

What is it about them? What our generation grew up learning about politics later, they've lived it from childhood.

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:53 pm This thread makes me think some. I can remember when my generation was 18-28 from 1979-1989 and how the older group of "old Farts" constantly talked of fearing for the future because of us.

Fair points, I've often wondered the same myself. However I see a lot of differences between now and then, among them an ingrained and ultimately unsustainable sense of entitlement from a critical mass of the population.

When I was growing up, there wasn't much of an appetite that somebody else should pay for our family's health care. Welfare existed but it wasn't something that anybody really expected to make a career out of - you used it if you needed it briefly and then expected to get back on your feet. It's now so pervasive that it's pretty much woven into the fabric of huge sections of our population. Just look how quickly the liberal wolves descend on those who dare suggest any of it be reformed.

Back then, there was essentially no expectation that a restriction of gun rights was even a possibility. We had a few things creeping in here and there but nobody realistically thought bans, much less confiscations, were in any way acceptable. Sadly, a lot of it started under Reagan and a critical mass of people now expect that they could actually come in and start taking away "assault rifles", just because. And the courts don't appear eager to slap them down.

Not to mention things like immigration that for various reasons we've allowed to get out of control. The jobs I did in high school and college are now largely filled by immigrants. I don't buy this notion that they do the jobs Americans won't do - in fact, it makes me angry because I most certainly DID do those jobs. They don't do them now because far too often we pay Americans not to.

And on and on. I realize that every generation gets old and says we're going to heck in a handbasket, but I truly think it's different this time. The ground has shifted.

Return to “Off-Topic”