Courtrooms

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
spectre
Posts in topic: 3

Courtrooms

Post by spectre » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:49 pm

A friend says it's illegal to carry a pocket knife in a courtroom. I know we're not allowed to carry our handguns or location-restricted knives in a courtroom. (TX Penal § 46.03) However, I can't find anything in the penal code that prohibits shorter (not location-restricted) knives in a courtroom. Logically, a prohibition on a specific category of knife in courtrooms implies that other knives aren't prohibited.
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society,
over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it
and a moral code that glorifies it. - Frédéric Bastiat

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Courtrooms

Post by warnmar10 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:53 pm

Topic author
spectre

Post by spectre » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:00 pm

warnmar10 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:53 pm
Not if I don't get caught.
over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it

jonmo1

Post by jonmo1 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:22 pm

I can’t quote a law, but They wouldn't let me into Jury Duty with a 2.75” pocket knife. It was a lockback, maybe that was a difference.

Topic author
spectre

Post by spectre » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:39 pm

jonmo1 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:22 pm
I can’t quote a law, but They wouldn't let me into Jury Duty with a 2.75” pocket knife. It was a lockback, maybe that was a difference.
I think that's the root of the misunderstanding. They are enforcing a policy but that doesn't mean their policy has the force of law. For example, a movie theater can have a policy prohibiting people from bringing in food and drink, and they can take action if they observe somebody violating their policy, including telling them to leave. However, I don't think that policy makes it illegal to have a granola bar concealed in my pocket.

ELB

Post by ELB » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:08 pm

Judges write their own rules and claim legal force. It will take a specific act of the legislature to make them do otherwise.
USAF 1982-2005

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Lewisville, Texas. (Metro Dallas/Denton County), Home of the Fighting Farmers.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:26 pm

Someone I know has been granted access to the Nacogdoches County and Travis County
courthouses while wearing a chain wallet.

Denton County courthouse LEO's would not allow that, so he had to go back to his car and disarm, I mean dis-chain??? :-)

SIA
Arms discourage and keep the invader in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...
Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of them.

Thomas Paine, 1737-1809

Keith B

Post by Keith B » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:01 pm

It's in 46.03, but it is a 'location-restricted knife'
Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, location-restricted knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court;
Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(6) "Location-restricted knife" means a knife with a blade over five and one-half inches.

(7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument.
So, while they are prohibiting all 'weapons', the law would only be broken if it was a 'location-restricted' knife.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

bigtek

Post by bigtek » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:34 pm

warnmar10 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:53 pm
:iagree:

It's like driving while black. It's not actually illegal but they can make trouble for you anyway.

J Wilson

Post by J Wilson » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:36 pm

Probably they will find it when you go thru the metal detectors and you empty your pockets.Friend of mine got sent back to his car for a Leatherman Tool.

Return to “Off-Topic”