Courtrooms

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
spectre
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Courtrooms

Post by spectre »

A friend says it's illegal to carry a pocket knife in a courtroom. I know we're not allowed to carry our handguns or location-restricted knives in a courtroom. (TX Penal § 46.03) However, I can't find anything in the penal code that prohibits shorter (not location-restricted) knives in a courtroom. Logically, a prohibition on a specific category of knife in courtrooms implies that other knives aren't prohibited.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Courtrooms

Post by warnmar10 »

Topic author
spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

warnmar10 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:53 pm Image
Not if I don't get caught.

jonmo1

Post by jonmo1 »

I can’t quote a law, but They wouldn't let me into Jury Duty with a 2.75” pocket knife. It was a lockback, maybe that was a difference.

Topic author
spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

jonmo1 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:22 pm I can’t quote a law, but They wouldn't let me into Jury Duty with a 2.75” pocket knife. It was a lockback, maybe that was a difference.
I think that's the root of the misunderstanding. They are enforcing a policy but that doesn't mean their policy has the force of law. For example, a movie theater can have a policy prohibiting people from bringing in food and drink, and they can take action if they observe somebody violating their policy, including telling them to leave. However, I don't think that policy makes it illegal to have a granola bar concealed in my pocket.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Judges write their own rules and claim legal force. It will take a specific act of the legislature to make them do otherwise.
USAF 1982-2005

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Someone I know has been granted access to the Nacogdoches County and Travis County
courthouses while wearing a chain wallet.

Denton County courthouse LEO's would not allow that, so he had to go back to his car and disarm, I mean dis-chain??? :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

It's in 46.03, but it is a 'location-restricted knife'
Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, location-restricted knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court;
Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(6) "Location-restricted knife" means a knife with a blade over five and one-half inches.

(7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument.
So, while they are prohibiting all 'weapons', the law would only be broken if it was a 'location-restricted' knife.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

warnmar10 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:53 pm Image
:iagree:

It's like driving while black. It's not actually illegal but they can make trouble for you anyway.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

J Wilson

Post by J Wilson »

Probably they will find it when you go thru the metal detectors and you empty your pockets.Friend of mine got sent back to his car for a Leatherman Tool.

Return to “Off-Topic”