Australia today, mass stabbing 6 dead

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 37

Re: Australia today!

Post by philip964 »

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/wa- ... 5a7r0.html

Western Australia ( State in Australia where Perth is located (real real outback)) Police Chief publishes a map showing where all the gun owners live.

This is to assist criminals in finding guns that the can steal.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

philip964 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:02 pm
Rafe wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:30 pm
crazy2medic wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:54 am
JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:41 pm Nah. Just power it down, wrap it in tin foil.....
No battery no signal
These folks make some pretty good products (just sayin'): https://mosequipment.com/. Available on Amazon, too; just search "mission darkness" or "faraday bag". Although the Faraday shielding beanies and caps are...uh, a little...much. :shock:
Cool site.

IPhone’s don’t have removable batteries. If you power it down does it still ping a location? Asking for a friend.
Just catching up to some old posts.

I'm curious about why would anyone worry about shutting off their phone or trying to hide it from being pinged while out and about when it can't be used if off or battery removed instead of just leaving it at home on or off. Have I missed something?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

C-dub wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:53 pm
JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:41 pm Nah. Just power it down, wrap it in tin foil.....
No battery no signal
These folks make some pretty good products (just sayin'): https://mosequipment.com/. Available on Amazon, too; just search "mission darkness" or "faraday bag". Although the Faraday shielding beanies and caps are...uh, a little...much. :shock:
Cool site.

IPhone’s don’t have removable batteries. If you power it down does it still ping a location? Asking for a friend.

I'm curious about why would anyone worry about shutting off their phone or trying to hide it from being pinged while out and about when it can't be used if off or battery removed instead of just leaving it at home on or off. Have I missed something?
Apparently you have. I have an iPhone and have decided to live with the downside. Too many upsides, and I'm pretty well a vanilla milkshake. Just can't imagine anybody will get anything actionable on me, even though I'm sure they know every where I've been since 2010. You can't remove the battery and even when it is "off" the network tracks it's location. When it's on, Seri is listening ALL of the time for activation phrases. We only have Apple's word that that info isn't recorded and monetized. Yeah right!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

BigGuy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:43 pm
No battery no signal
Cool site.

Apparently you have. I have an iPhone and have decided to live with the downside. Too many upsides, and I'm pretty well a vanilla milkshake. Just can't imagine anybody will get anything actionable on me, even though I'm sure they know every where I've been since 2010. You can't remove the battery and even when it is "off" the network tracks it's location. When it's on, Seri is listening ALL of the time for activation phrases. We only have Apple's word that that info isn't recorded and monetized. Yeah right!
Me too except I don’t have siri activated. Maybe she’s still listening, IDK.

I was just saying that if a person didn’t want to be tracked (I.e. out for nefarious reasons) they could just leave the phone at home.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

C-dub wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:42 pm
BigGuy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:43 pm
No battery no signal
Cool site.

Me too except I don’t have siri activated. Maybe she’s still listening, IDK.

I was just saying that if a person didn’t want to be tracked (I.e. out for nefarious reasons) they could just leave the phone at home.
Yes. It's my understand that you are correct.
I'm not sure what it says about me that I panic when I find I've accidentally left it at home. Part of that is conditioning. For 15 years I was head of the IT department for a newspaper and was on call 16/7. (08:00 to 01:00 when the press cranked up. I carried a pager years before cell phones. My job was dependent on being reachable during those hours. I was expected tp drop whatever I was doing and fix any problems that might endanger the next day's publication.
I'm now 65 1/2 and my life is 71. Kids have all moved to other cities and it's just us and the fur babies in that big-ol two story house. I still work 3 - 12 hr days (It will be November 2022 before I can go on full SS retirement.) and don't feel comfortable if she can't contact me. I'm trading freedom for safety.

But it goes even further. With cameras so prevalent now, hooking all that stuff together in a national database should make any privacy of movement impossible. Security cameras in stores, on streets, body cams, dash cams, ATMs, gas pumps, and who know what else can all be searched with facial recognition software and license plate readers. It's technically possible for the feds to track your movements outside out your house back for years. The infrastructure is already in place. All of those cameras.
Can Big Brother access them?
It's technically possible. We just have to hope that it's still illegal and they won't violate these laws. My opinion is no better than anybody else on whether or not that's true.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/21/australi ... index.html

Australia election moves country left.

May be due to strict Covid rules under conservative center government.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Two days ago from Colion Noir:
Response To Australia's Latest Mass Shooting Proves There Is No End To Gun Control

“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

There was a mass shooting in Australia!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-63952882

Yep.

Obsessed with guns.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

You will never convince a flaming libtard that the fault lies in their own goal to destroy family values and cultural norms. To blame the person, is to admit they are completely destroying society. One has to be a special kind of stupid to think a murdering crazed individual is going to follow any law forbidding firearms, knives or other weapon they may choose to do harm to others.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.insider.com/95-year-old-dem ... abc-2023-5

95 year old woman with dementia in a nursing home May have had a knife.

Police called, tasered her twice, before subduing her.

She is now in the hospital in critical condition with her family at her side.

Got to watch out for those knives.

May 24, 2023

https://nypost.com/2023/05/24/95-year-o ... p-charged/

95 yo woman has died from her injuries from being teased by police. Officer has now been charged.

She was approaching the officer with her walker when she was tased. She fell and fractured her skull.
Last edited by philip964 on Wed May 24, 2023 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AF-Odin »

And former President Obama thinks we should have gun laws like Australia. YGBSM
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Grayling813 »

AF-Odin wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:46 pm And former President Obama thinks we should have gun laws like Australia. YGBSM
FBO

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Grayling813 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:40 pm
AF-Odin wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:46 pm And former President Obama thinks we should have gun laws like Australia. YGBSM
FBO
:iagree:

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.9news.com.au/national/block ... 6f00db5818

Climate Activists have shut down three Australian ports in a coordinated protest. Australia has 1/3 of the world's coal reserves.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-25/ ... /102521500

Lose the 2nd then you lose the 1st.

Australian online misinformation commission to fine and punish.

Return to “Off-Topic”