Are Police Able to Do This Just Because They Want To?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 2

Are Police Able to Do This Just Because They Want To?

Post by thatguyoverthere »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/05/be ... tests.html
Police said the list of banned items at Civic Center and Ohlone parks included: metal pipes, baseball bats, glass bottles, pepper spray, knives or daggers, shields and slingshots, KTVU reported.

Police said they were also banning people from wearing masks, scarves or bandannas or anything covering their faces unless they’re for religious or medical reasons.

Violators face citations and arrests.

Ok, I get it. I personally think these are all good things to do in this situation to help keep the peace. Good, that is ... IF ... there is a law on the books giving the police the legal authority to impose and enforce these requirements.

But that's my question: is there some law there which allows the police to enforce these requirements? Does anyone here know or have any info on that? I'm assuming the police and/or city wouldn't just arbitrarily tell everyone: "hey y'all, we decided to ban these things for this weekend only. It's for your own good. Trust us. And do as we say."

Again, good ideas. But I really hope they haven't just kind of skipped over the little detail of actually having... you know, a law...?

Or am I just being silly and hypersensitive and all?

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Are Police Able to Do This Just Because They Want To?

Post by OneGun »

This link suggests that the City Council passed an Urgency Ordinance that allowed this.

https://www.californiacitynews.org/2017 ... ests.html
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Ah, ok. I missed that. Thanks.

But even at that, I can see a lawsuit coming over at least some of those restrictions; especially the banning of face coverings. Might be interesting.

threoh8
Posts in topic: 1

Post by threoh8 »

thatguyoverthere wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:50 pm http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/05/be ... tests.html

Police said they were also banning people from wearing masks, scarves or bandannas or anything covering their faces unless they’re for religious or medical reasons.
Wouldn't filtering out tear gas be a medical reason? ;-)

... and for paid protesters, it would be PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), provided by their employer!
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Return to “Off-Topic”