Poll: Native or Transplant?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Native or Transplant?

Born and Raised in Texas and never left
36%
Born and Raised in Texas, left and came back
15%
Born in another State/ Country, but raised in Texas
15%
Born and raised in another State/Country and moved here as an adult
34%

Total votes: 143

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Poll: Native or Transplant?

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Born and raised in Texas, but left at 19 years old for a career in the USAF. After completing just shy of 21 years of service, we moved to the Metroplex for a while, and then moved to western North Texas for work. Been back for eight years now and don't have any plans to ever live anywhere else.

mot7981

Post by mot7981 »

Born and grew up in South Texas near the King Ranch. Went to UH and been here since. Still get "down south" about once a year.

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Due to circumstance beyond my control, I was born in California.
We left there when I was five, only been back once to visit Yosemite.
I believe pop moved us for any amount of a raise. Lived in, Utah, Michigan(x4), Virginia, Georgia(x2), Florida, Puerto Rico, and Texas three different times. Galveston, Kilgore, and finally San Antonio. Came here from Michigan in 1979 when I was 15.
I counted and came up with 14 different schools in 11 years.
Pop was BOI and mom was born in Kilgore.
My grandpa survived the Galveston hurricane and became a Galveston police officer in the 1930’s.
My mom’s uncle was a Kilgore police officer and his son became a state trooper.
Texas was always home, always will be.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

How about Conceived in Texas, Born in Oklahoma, back in Texas before a month old. Oklahoma was the closest hospital, 5 miles east of the Texas line. :coolgleamA:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Topic author
Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

OldCurlyWolf wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:21 pm How about Conceived in Texas, Born in Oklahoma, back in Texas before a month old. Oklahoma was the closest hospital, 5 miles east of the Texas line. :coolgleamA:
Sorry, didn't consider all possible options. You can claim to be native, if you didn't have to travel too far in utero, across another state line. :smilelol5:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

My dad always said: "Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. If not, well, you wouldn't want to embarrass him."
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

Please don't California my Texas.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I always say I was "born in the Navy", but we moved to TX the summer before I went into 9th grade.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

I had a ton of fun when the company I worked for sent me to Regina, Saskatchewan. I wore my "Don't mess with Texas" baseball cap.

It seemed like every Canadian I ran across just wanted to hear a Texan speak, so I pulled out the old Texas drawl and laid it on pretty thick. They ate it up.

The other company engineer that went with me (not a native Texan) mentioned, when we were alone, that I didn't normally sound like that. I explained that I was having fun, they were enjoying it, and it bought us a lot of good will.

One day at lunch one of the upper managers with the customer company asked me if I was a native Texan. My reply was, "Born and jerked up!" That too went over big.

It was quite a contrast because when I was in the USAF, people couldn't figure out where I was from until I told them. I had developed a very neutral accent.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

couzin

Post by couzin »

Born on Ford Ord (I will never acknowledge that it was in California) - came out olive drab green. Came here from Maryland in 1990 and Texas is my home (I even have my burial plot up in Henrietta). I do share an ancestor of Stephen F. Austin though (his 3rd g-grandfather is my 10th g-grandfather), maybe that gets me in the club.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

strogg

Post by strogg »

I grew up in Commiefornia. Indoctrinated into leftist propaganda by 18. Learned to think for myself by 21. Escaped and moved to America just over a year and a half go. I currently consider myself a Kalifornistan refugee living in Texas, but I think I may fit in well enough now that I can be considered a Texan/American citizen.

Slight sarcasm aside, I was born and raised in California as a traditional, American christian. Knowing what I know now about Texas, I really may as well have been a native North Texan. Moving here is the best decision of my life. I never really thought of any place as home until I got here. :txflag:

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Born in Germany. Parents taught for the DOD. We came home 6 months after I was born.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

joe817

Post by joe817 »

I've lived here all my life. So far I've traced my family heritage back 5 generations of Texans. My ancestors have lived here in Texas since 1847. But still researching genealogy to find that last generation of Texan. That would enable me to become a member of the Sons of the Republic of Texas. Something I hope I can discover before Father calls me Home.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Born and raised here and other than time in the Air Force lived here all my life. According to my Great Grandma (Mom's side), I am a descendant of one the first Texas Rangers under S. F. Austin. :txflag: One of these days I am going to trace my ancestory to see if true or if she was fibbing to us. Lol
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Born in Austin, spent my early years in South Texas, moved to Louisiana against my will when my parents divorced, lived there for three years until 1985, moved back to East Texas and have lived in Texas ever since.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Return to “Off-Topic”