Poll: Native or Transplant?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Native or Transplant?

Born and Raised in Texas and never left
36%
Born and Raised in Texas, left and came back
15%
Born in another State/ Country, but raised in Texas
15%
Born and raised in another State/Country and moved here as an adult
34%

Total votes: 143

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Poll: Native or Transplant?

Post by TxRVer »

Native Texan born in Taylor. Not even the Air Force could get me to leave the state. I went from Lackland to Sheppard to Dyess.
Charlie

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

Born in Arkansas, Dad was in the USAF, so raised at Clinton-Sherman AFB Ok, Homestead AFB Fl, Wright-Patterson AFB Oh, Barksdale AFB La, Ellesworth AFB SD, then parents split. Mom, my sister and I moved back to Arkansas. After HS, I enlisted in the USAF and spent 5.5 years at Peterson AFB Colorado, 4 years at RAF Lakenheath UK, and 2 years at Moody AFB Ga. USAF went thru a RIF so I got out, moved to DFW, went to school, married a Texas Girl and been here ever since.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

allisji

Post by allisji »

I migrated from north of the border days after I finished college. I actually was born in Oklahoma but my whole life resided on the Kansas side of state line road. In November 2006 I accepted a job offer to begin my career in Texas, and upon graduating in May 2007 I found a new home in Texas about a week prior to my June 1 start date, which was on a Friday.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

Born and raised here and no plans to leave.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

Pawpaw wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:30 pm I selected "Born and Raised in Texas and never left", but that's not exactly 100% true.

I spent just over 22 years in the USAF. I lived lots of places but Texas was always home, in my heart and officially (home of record).
I also selected "Born and Raised in Texas and never left." I kept Texas as my home of record and voted absentee in Texas and National elections while on active duty.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

NJ_Expat wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:44 pm Moved here a month ago with my wife from Bergen County, NJ after she got promoted to her company's HQ in Irving. She was born and raised in Manhattan, and I'm from Jersey. We love it here already.
Welcome to Texas and the forum. I was born in Queens, NY and arrived at 6 mos of age when my mom and dad moved here. Mom was born in Farmersville, so I have some Texas genes. My dad was also from NY, went to A&M and had enough sense to return to Texas.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I was born and raised in Texas and never lived anywhere else. I am the 6th generation in my family to be born and raised in Texas, and I am not a youngster. I can trace my ancestry to a soldier who fought for the Republic of Texas under Sam Houston.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

The strangest thing about this thread isn't how much it makes me appreciate Texas ( :txflag: ) but rather how much California USED to be like Texas. It is so completely different compared to what you guy's that grew up there are describing. Pretty sad...

Born and bred here. Never lived anywhere else, though I have been blessed enough to travel pretty well growing up.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Was born at Keesler AFB, MS and was an AF "Brat." Dad retired from AF in 1963 and returned to Dallas area. Mom and Dad were both born and raised in Texas. Dad from Dallas and Mom from Greenville. Paternal granddad was born in MS, but moved to Texas in 1913 to practice medicine. Paternal Grandma was born in Mount Pleasant and her family had been in Texas since 1865 (moved here after Union Army destroyed family farm in MS). On Mom's side, family has been in Texas since shortly after Texas Independence. I graduated from HS and college in Texas and entered the AF, but kept Texas as Home of Record and had three assignments in Texas during my career. Spent a total of 14 years of my almost 30 at various places outside of Texas, but got back in 1993 and have stayed.

Therefore, using the same rules the US uses for citizenship; as the child of two parents both Native Texans who was born "abroad" as a result of parent's military service, I should be considered as a "Native Born" Texan.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

I was born in Clovis, NM. My parents lived in Progress, TX just outside of Muleshoe, TX. There was no hospital or Ob/Gyn in Muleshoe at the time, so they had to drive the 20 miles to the hospital in Clovis. I assume (but I never asked my parents to confirm) that I was conceived in the Progress house. So I consider myself a Native Texas, other than the first 3 or 4 days of my life was in NM. Other than the 8 years I was in the Air Force (Keesler AFB, MS, Wiesbaden AB, Germany and Cannon AFB, NM), I've lived all my life in Texas.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

kayt00
Posts in topic: 4

Post by kayt00 »

I will say that the one thing that I do not like about Texas is the huge lack of public lands...at least in this area. In Utah I could drive less than five minutes and be in an area where at a minimum I could peg prairie dogs or just shoot rocks off in the distance. Late summer and fall took me up into the Uintas which was a 30 minute drive, but only because we had to get past tribal lands. In contrast, unless you own acreage in TX you're paying heavy money to hunt a lease or go guided it seems like.
I had a bit of wonder-lust growing up in Cali, then moving at a young age to Oregon, Washington, Florida, Nevada, Utah, and finally home to Texas.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Born and raised and proud of it :txflag:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:06 am The strangest thing about this thread isn't how much it makes me appreciate Texas ( :txflag: ) but rather how much California USED to be like Texas. It is so completely different compared to what you guy's that grew up there are describing. Pretty sad...

Born and bred here. Never lived anywhere else, though I have been blessed enough to travel pretty well growing up.
I left Massachusets in 1988, I had a pistol Permit, and could carry just about anywhere. When I moved to Texas although I could buy any gun without the states permission, I had no legal means to keep and carry while away from my home. Over time Texas got serious about providing the ability of allowing her citizens the ability to protect themselves. While Mass. underwent a program of banning and eliminating these choices.

My point is things change. Texas was once a Democrats state, Massachusetts once valued freedom.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Born in Ohio, raised in Michigan, got to Texas as fast as I could with my young family - (3 kids under 5 yrs) for a Job move .

seems like such a short time ago, but now my youngest is 25.
NRA Life Member

Return to “Off-Topic”