Texas gets away with highway robbery

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Texas gets away with highway robbery

Post by cmgee67 »

Just had to renew/address change my DL as well as change my address on my LTC. 60 some odd dollars later I’m waiting on the new plastics to arrive. It’s crazy to me that those two cards cost so much.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas gets away with highway robbery

Post by srothstein »

And here I thought you were talking about your car registration. Registration serves no purpose other than to collect a tax from car owners. And now you have to pay a service charge when you renew, no matter how you do it.

A service charge to pay your taxes seems wrong to me. But we have no choice on it.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Oh I agree about the registration tax as well. I also hate they make us pay for inspections. I understand why the inspections are there and to a degree it makes sense. But you just have to follow the dollar and the real reasons usually show up.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Im not a fan of the address changes either... I just use my mom's address and have my mail routed there since i move around around twice a year. if i did addy changes on my plastics every 6 months that'd be more money than i'd care to spend just so the govt can keep track of where i live... if they wanna know they can just ask lol.
NRA Member

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

It's an ill wind that blows no good! Look at the bright side, No Income Tax in Texas!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

jason812

Post by jason812 »

If you have a CDL, its $60 just for that and has to be done in person.

Registration is just another of the many ways the man has his hand in your cookie jar.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I do feel your pain, I have filed all the necessary paperwork for my level 3 security card, everything is done but my fingerprints, had a frustrating talk with the lady at DPS explaining they have a copy of my fingerprints from when I got my LTC, she told no we don't, I said yes tou do! After a 3 ro 4 minute circular arguement, she made me realize i'm talking to a State minion! So I'm going today to get my fingerprints done! Best thing to say about dealing with the State is "AAAAAAAAAGH!"
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

crazy2medic wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:21 am I do feel your pain, I have filed all the necessary paperwork for my level 3 security card, everything is done but my fingerprints, had a frustrating talk with the lady at DPS explaining they have a copy of my fingerprints from when I got my LTC, she told no we don't, I said yes tou do! After a 3 ro 4 minute circular arguement, she made me realize i'm talking to a State minion! So I'm going today to get my fingerprints done! Best thing to say about dealing with the State is "AAAAAAAAAGH!"
They have your fingerprints, but they're in a different office down the hall! :mrgreen:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

bblhd672 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:52 pm
crazy2medic wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:21 am I do feel your pain, I have filed all the necessary paperwork for my level 3 security card, everything is done but my fingerprints, had a frustrating talk with the lady at DPS explaining they have a copy of my fingerprints from when I got my LTC, she told no we don't, I said yes tou do! After a 3 ro 4 minute circular arguement, she made me realize i'm talking to a State minion! So I'm going today to get my fingerprints done! Best thing to say about dealing with the State is "AAAAAAAAAGH!"
[/quote

They have your fingerprints, but they're in a different office down the hall! :mrgreen:
They have at least four sets of my finger/palm prints.....not to mention the different Federal Agencies. New day every time ;-)

talltex

Post by talltex »

cmgee67 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:37 pm Oh I agree about the registration tax as well. I also hate they make us pay for inspections. I understand why the inspections are there and to a degree it makes sense. But you just have to follow the dollar and the real reasons usually show up.
The State is constantly looking for ways to raise more money, and they can be shameless about it. In the car business, since 2007, they have: (1) instituted a monthly inventory tax that dealers have to pay on each vehicle sold. (2)Where the plates used to stay with the vehicle until the expiration date on a used vehicle the dealer now has to remove them and dispose of them (even if they are less than a month old) and pay the full price for a new set. (3) Instead of the heavy cardboard "buyers tags" we used for years and filled out by hand, (get a years supply from local print shop for $50), in 2009 they made us start printing them out through the DPS system at the time of sale, and we have to purchase special "E-Tag" form to print it on, a special "E-Tag" plastic bag to put it in, and they charge $5.00 for everyone you print. (4) In 2016, they "just out of the blue" informed us that any vehicle sold by a dealer would have to be re-inspected and get a new sticker if the current one on it was 90 days old. That's 3 months, so they just arbitrarily decided to collect the state inspection fee twice on 75% of all the used cars sold in Texas by dealers. When you have both the authority to make the rules, and the power to enforce them, you are in a strong position. :rules:
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

Return to “Off-Topic”