Civet Coffee

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 3

Civet Coffee

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Just wondering if any of you guys have ever had a cup of civet coffee? Supposedly the most expensive coffee in the world at about 30 dollars a cup. Where it comes from you wouldn't like it.

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Civet Coffee

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Never tried or had the chance to try, but would not be my cup of tea
NRA Life Member

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

I don’t drink coffee, ever. But I have been down to the island to Sumatra and the island of Bali where they make this and I visited with some of the people that actually harvest it I’ve had friends of mine who tried it and said that it was the best coffee they’d ever had.

Google “kopi lewak “ for more detailed information about it
Last edited by Vol Texan on Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I love fresh roasted coffee, I wish I had the time, skills and equipment to do this. Green beans seem pretty hard to find too. For me I settle for Sam's club Columbian. Most of the time.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Take Down Sicko

Very interesting. I will stick with BRCC's coffee. Other coffees taste like battery acid to me.

NJ_Expat

Post by NJ_Expat »

Liberty wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:13 am I love fresh roasted coffee, I wish I had the time, skills and equipment to do this. Green beans seem pretty hard to find too. For me I settle for Sam's club Columbian. Most of the time.
My wife actually found a place, I believe near her office in Irving, that sells green coffee beans. I have some on my kitchen counter right now.

As for equipment, all you need is heat (fire or otherwise), a skillet (ideally cast iron), and an outdoor space (it gets VERY smokey). I stir them in the skillet over the heat source until they hit my desired roast, and they're done. Takes about 20 minutes. This is how the cowboys did it back in the day, and it yields a great cup of coffee with a nice smokiness to it.
Not a liberal.
Not a conservative.
Equal parts well-meaning free-thinker and misguided madman.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Take Down Sicko wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:58 am Very interesting. I will stick with BRCC's coffee. Other coffees taste like battery acid to me.
:iagree: Love BRCC Just Black. Also recently bought some coffee from another veteran owned company https://www.deespressoliber.com/ which is as good as Black Rifle.

Those are about as expensive as I'm going to buy.

But if someone else is paying, I'll try the Civet. Then again, maybe not:
Kopi luwak (Indonesian pronunciation: [ˈkopi ˈlu.aʔ]), or civet coffee, is coffee that includes part-digested coffee cherries eaten and defecated by the Asian palm civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus).[1] Fermentation occurs as the cherries pass through a civet's intestines, and after being defecated with other fecal matter, they are collected.
Harvesting sounds like a crappy job. :biggrinjester:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

flechero

Post by flechero »

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:58 am Also recently bought some coffee from another veteran owned company https://www.deespressoliber.com/
I've been a customer of De Espresso Liber for a good while... IMO, best coffee around!! Roasted to order and top notch service! Usually arrives at my door, 2 days after roasting... never had fresh coffee in my life until I started buying from DEL - and I will never go back to old stale coffee again. :cheers2:

Topic author
Take Down Sicko

Kopi luwak (Indonesian pronunciation: [ˈkopi ˈlu.aʔ]), or civet coffee, is coffee that includes part-digested coffee cherries eaten and defecated by the Asian palm civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus).[1] Fermentation occurs as the cherries pass through a civet's intestines, and after being defecated with other fecal matter, they are collected.

OH yummy!
Seems like someone would get a disease from that stuff.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

A UF group made cat coffee by recreating the civet cat's digestive enzymes, but went out of business. I've tried it but it's nothing special.

My issue is mostly that they keep the poor civet cats in tiny cages and force feed them coffee beans all day. I have no issue with humane slaughter, but deliberate cruelty for the sake of profit rubs me the wrong way.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I've had some. Kopi Luwak.
Was OK, but not worth the vig.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

No thanks on cat poop coffee.
Psalm 91:2

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Community Coffee is as expensive as I will go!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

SQLGeek wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:05 pm No thanks on cat poop coffee.
Monkey poop. Still icky.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

This coffee's not for me, but I do eat escargot and other revoltin stuff, like tongue, so such coffee, while not for everyone doesn't faze me...

Return to “Off-Topic”