Tumbleweeds

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chuck j
Posts in topic: 973

Re: Tumbleweeds

Post by chuck j »

Zeke and Wade got naked and in the river sharing the bar of lye soap and scrubbing the heck out of themselves and washing their hair . Zeke said ...Lordy ! I hate to get out of the water ! Wade said ...Zeke I ain't had a real bath in two years ! This is unbelievable , We got to get down here often ! They waded out and Zeke said ...No way I'm putting on them stinkin clothes just ta walk back ! I'll put my boots on but not them clothes ! Wade agreed ! They baited up and just enjoyed the shade and breeze . Zeke was just sitting on a rock buck naked fishing and asked Wade ...Wade whens the last time you went fishing naked ? Wade started laughing and couldn't stop , Zeke joined in and they laughed till they couldn't draw breath .

They fished for about three hours and headed back downstream carrying their filthy clothes , wearing their gun belts . Wade was following Zeke and laughing at him telling Zeke how crazy he looked . Zeke stopped halfway back and said ...Now you lead so I can laugh at you ! Wade took the lead and Zeke started laughing and said ...This IS crazy ain't it !

They called out to make sure she was dressed and she told them their clothes ought to be dry , they changed into them and she washed their dirty change of clothes with her nose turned up . She said ...We are never getting this dirty again ...it just isn't decent ! And it's all ya'lls fault ! Zeke and Wade looked at each other and Zeke said ...How come it's our fault ? She said ...Because it's always the men's fault !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

They ate their piece of frybread and drank tea passing the lard bucket . Nate even got some sweet tea and liked it . Zeke and Wade had caught seven catfish from one to three pounds and they put them on three stringers under the willows . If the turtles didn't find them they were good for four or five days ! The sun was near the horizon when they started back . They stayed as long as they could . The river was peaceful . When they got to the cabin Zeke and her carried the clean dry clothes and sacks in and Wade carried the still wet clothes to the line in back of the cabin . Darkness was on them , Zeke and Wade told her they really enjoyed the evening ! She said the same to them and Zeke and Wade lead the black mule to the pen . It was time for bed .

Zeke and Wade got undressed and in their beds . Wade said ...Zeke ! Zeke said ...Yea Wade ? Wade said ...Zeke I'm worried about what news of Hosea Captain Jack and Sam are going to bring when they come . Zeke said ...Wade we all are , she is scared ...I know she is scared . Wade said ...What will we do if the news is bad ? There was silence for a min and Zeke said … We will do everything we can !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She enjoyed going to the river . Enjoying the shade , the breeze , the river ,the bathing with Nate , the good time with Zeke and Wade and even washing the clothes . They must take advantage of the river more , as Wade had said when he first came , to look at the river from the cabin reminded him of paradise . The river gave them fish , game , plums , berries , pecans , greens , timber , firewood and water .

When Hosea started talking of moving to Texas because their hopes in Iowa seemed few he planned so much . Having her write and send off for maps and descriptions of the country , he sat up at night by candle looking at maps doing figures . They both talked and prayed . He thought hard about what they would need and managed their money well buying what they would need in this new land and building all he could himself . When they got here they still had basic supplies for over a year and means to survive .

He had been through the war , he was not afraid but she knew he feared for her and Jenny . It was hard country and unsettled , there were Indians , outlaws and they would be alone to themselves . Hosea was not afraid for himself , he had been through the war and being the good person he was it affected him . He loved her and Jenny , they were his focus . She knew he suffered his own memories but seldom said anything of the war . Jenny and her were his life ..his hope .

When Jenny died he held her small body after she had dressed her in her prettest dress to bury for half a day . They were under the wagon , it had been raining for three days . She made him dig a grave and she wrapped Jenny in their nicest quilt and tied it up . Hosea and her lowered her in the grave as rain fell , he could not talk and she said a prayer . She harnessed the mules and hitched them to the wagon . She had to force him to leave Jenny and she was afraid for him .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Captain Jack and Sam would be returning soon most likely and she struggled to pray for Hosea but knew if he were alive he would have done anything and everything to come back to her and Nate . Staying busy was the only thing that provided distraction for her , she had found support in Zeke , GOD sent Zeke ! She also had Captain Jack , Sam and Wade , new friends and good friends that would stand with her and Zeke . GOD was providing .

She put on a clean patched dress , she brushed her hair in a long ponytail and tied it with a red ribbon and hung her nice clean bonnet on her back . She even cleaned her work shoes . She felt better !

Zeke and Wade finished with the chores and came in for breakfast . When Zeke walked in and hung his hat on the nail he looked at her and said ...Ain't you pretty ! You look like your ready to go to town ! Wade said ...I agree with Zeke ….you look EXTRA pretty today !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She blushed and said … Both of you would say anything to get me to cook more things like pie and plum bread . Zeke sat down and said ...Naw ! You ARE pretty ! Wade shook his head up and down and said ...Sure nuff she is ! Look how pretty her shiny brown hair is ! She turned to the fireplace to hide her blushing .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

They sat and ate . She made mush with plums and sugar in it . They had all they wanted , Nate loved mush and she was worried he didn't have milk . Zeke and Wade went to finish a few things and saddle the sorrel to pull the sledge . She filled their water buckets and got sacks . They set out with Nate on the sledge on the shawl arriving at the river just as the sun eased above the horizon . Zeke and Wade had two more trees picked out and set about carrying their tools to those . She wrapped the water buckets with wet sacks and put Nate on some soft grass under an oak tree . She started dragging trimmings to the sledge to haul .

They were sawing when she set out to the cabin with a load carrying the Henry on her shoulder . She got to the cabin and unloaded , there was going to be much firewood to cut ! But it was a blessing because it would all be used and they were accomplishing two things at once building the cabin for Zeke and gathering all this much firewood in the process . She started back to get another load .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She walked back to the river . Zeke and Wade took a break and sat down and were passing the water bucket . She sat down and got herself a drink . They had taken down four trees and trimmed three of them , they were working together and getting more done than before . They were all well pleased with the amount of work done .

She checked Nate and held him a while talking to him . He was such a blessing and such a good baby ! He seldom cried and was so easy to take care of . Zeke and Wade watched her play with him and they smiled at one another .

She started back with another load ...she was behind ! There was a lot of trimmings to haul . She started toward the cabin again , her walking was practically back to normal , she felt much stronger . She neared the cabin and saw horses tied under the mesquite tree , as she got closer she saw they were Captain Jack's and Sam's horses . All at once fear gripped her ! She froze not wanting to move and stopped staring at the horses . Perhaps Hosea was with them ...But perhaps there was bad news !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She backed the sorrel up and threw the bridle loop off to the sledge . She put her left foot in the stirrup and swung up ! She swung the sorrel around and turned him down river and kicked him in the ribs headed back to Zeke and Wade ! She was crying .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She rode hard back to the place they were cutting trees . Zeke saw her coming , him and Wade were trimming another log . She was coming fast and Zeke said to Wade ...Get your rifle Wade ! She is riding back hard on the Sorrel ! They grabbed their rifles but saw no one behind her . She rode hard and the sorrel slid to a stop with her pulling back on the reins . She slumped over the front of the saddle crying and they ran to her . Zeke laid down the Spencer on the run thinking she might be hurt and lifted his arms to take her out of the saddle .

She waved him off crying and stepped out of the saddle , she stood there crying scaring them . He took her by the shoulders asking what was wrong and if she was hurt !Wade was still looking the way she had came . Zeke lead her to the log they were trimming and made her sit down . She was sobbing and red faced , Zeke said firmly ...What's wrong ! Are you hurt ! She shook her head no and said ...Captain Jack and Sam are at the cabin ...I saw their horses . I rode back here , I'm scared Zeke ! I can't think right now and I'm scared !

Zeke glanced at Wade . He said ...I am here ! Wade , Sam and Captain Jack are our friends . We will all help you ! I know your scared and I know it's hard but we have to find out . I know what's on your mind and whatever happens we will help you . You are not alone . You know how much I love you and Nate ! Wade had got the water bucket and the damp towel it was wrapped in . He wiped her face with the damp towel as she stared down crying . He said … I'm here , let me help you . Take a drink of water . She did , Zeke was at her side with both hands on her shoulders .

Wade took the bucket and set it down , he stroked her head and said ...We need to go find out what you have wanted to know for a long time . We have to do this , you know that . We will all be there for you , wait and see if there is a need to cry . Zeke said ...He's right ! Rest a min and we will all go ! Wade picked up the damp towel off the top of the bucket and wiped her face and arms .

She raised her head and set her mouth . She said ...Yes ! We have to go . She stood and Zeke brought her the sorrel and gave her a hand up . She said ...Please let me have the towel . Wade gave it to her and they walked to the cabin . She rode and they lead the team .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke and Wade carried their rifles leading the team as they neared the cabin , she silently stared ahead holding the reins of the sorrel keeping pace with the team . When they got close they could see Sam standing in the doorway of the cabin and he turned speaking to someone in the cabin . He started walking out to them taking long strides .

He met them at the edge of the yard and greeted them . Sam said ...We made it back , Captain Jack is inside . Sam looked at Wade , he did not remember him it had been thirteen years since they had seen one another . Sam said ...Zeke why don't you and her go inside . Me and him will put up the stock (nodding at Wade) . Zeke shook hands with him and she dismounted . She hugged Sam saying nothing and started walking to the cabin with Zeke , she was carrying Nate .

Sam asked Wade ...Will you help me put up the livestock ? Wade said ...Sure ! Be glad to ! They lead the team and sorrel to the pen and unharnessed the team hanging the harness on the pen fence . The two outlaw's horses and pack horse of Zeke's Captain Jack and Sam had taken were tied at the fence with Zeke's pack saddles . The pack saddles were bulging full and there were two extra burlap bags on top of each pack saddle .

After taking care of the team and sorrel Sam said ...Would you mind helping me unload these packs in the shed ? Wade said ...I'd be glad to ! They lead the horses into the shed and neatly lined the packs against the wall . Wade was a little surprised when they went in the shed there were six chickens in a small cage but he said nothing .

After everything was done Wade said ...Sam you don't remember me but it's been a long time . Sam looked hard at Wade and in a min said ...It can't be ! ...Wade McLellan ? Wade smiled and stuck out his hand . Sam was speechless ! He grabbed Wade's hand and drew him close !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Captain Jack stood in the doorway as her and Zeke walked to the cabin . When they stepped on the porch a blue eyed cow dog heeler half grown pup ran out the door beside Captain Jack and stared at them . Captain Jack hugged her and shook hands with Zeke . He said ...Lets sit down at the table , I am so glad to see you both !

She laid Nate down on his pallet and they sat down . Captain Jack had his leather writing case and many papers on the end of the table . He said ...I hope you don't mind we came in and made a pot of coffee , by the logs and tree trimmings around here it looks like there has been a lot of work going on . We figured you were down river working because we didn't see anything coming from the ford upstream except some cows on that deep bend . We knew you put them there . The blue eyed heeler pup ran back in and went straight to Nate . They all started to stand up worried . The pup went all around Nate smelling and nudging him with his nose then laid down beside him on the pallet licking Nate's feet .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Captain Jack said … Ma'am I am saddened and heartbroken to give you this news . I consider you and Zeke family . Your husband Hosea was murdered ma'am . I am so sorry .

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by BigGuy »

I thought that was where you were going. As an author, I've killed characters to the sadness of my readers, and myself. It's a hard decision, but sometimes a necessary one. I hope you realize how good this is. Remember that Tolkien was a linguist, not an author. His work is full of "mistakes." I can only dream of being such a "Failure." You, my friend, are on a similar track. I both look forward to reaching the end, and dread the day when I have no more wonderful chapters to read. I can only hope that you will start, or continue, another story at the end of this one.

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Thank you for the kind words BigGuy .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She broke down . Zeke pulled her to him on the bench and wrapped his arms around her and her head on his shoulder . She held him and sobbed . She could not talk . Tears ran out of Zeke's eyes as he held her tight . Captain Jack got up and wiped his eyes , walked over behind both of them and laid a hand on each one's shoulder . He let them grieve .

Return to “Off-Topic”