Tumbleweeds

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chuck j
Posts in topic: 973

Re: Tumbleweeds

Post by chuck j »

They reheated the quail and rice for supper . The rice really stretched the meat out and Zeke was determined to get her ideas for others dishes to use it in . They sat outside on the bench in the cool . People that didn't live where it could get so hot in the day couldn't apricate a simple thing like a cool breeze . For her in Iowa the summers were much nicer but the snow in the winter was never ending . Here the winters were a lot warmer . But still the high winds and ice storms that froze everything in ice with the howling north wind .

They talked about Wade getting back . He could be here any time now with three pack horses of supplies ! They were worried about him getting through the prairie alone . She feared for him but at the same time she knew how resourceful he was . She would hate to be against him in a fight !

The sun was low and Zeke got her bucket of water off the coals and banked them . He carried it beside her bed and asked ...I can bathe you , it would save you bending and reaching ? She said ...No I can do it , it's mainly just my head that really hurts . Zeke sat down beside her on the bed and put his arm around her and said laughing ...Do you remember me telling you when you had the heat sickness that I had never told white people what to do before but you were going to mind me ! She laughed with him and said ...Yes ! And I did mind you !

Zeke had made her laugh so he stood up and said ...You sleep good ! Wade could be back even tomorrow ! He left and she bathed hating she could not wash her hair . She slept better that night .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

The horses were gathered and brought in . Lucy was making coffee and braiding Rosa's pigtails again . They had only one small barrel of good water and everyone was given a drink . Wade allowed the luxury of letting them have a cup of coffee to build their spirits . The neediest stock was given a small drink . Lucy harnessed the team adjusting the harness , the packs were loaded and they started north once more . There was no more water but they had eaten last night and had coffee this morning . The two young Rangers had offered to do little besides saddle their own horses .

Wade figured they would reach the last waterhole mid evening . In their worn condition he hoped they didn't run into Comanche . He still had Simon and Carlos riding to the west following the shinnery hoping to finding more water .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke was making breakfast when she woke . She was breathing better this morning and she sat on the side of the bed . She was still really sore and her whole head hurt . Zeke said ...Do you need to go ? She said ...No , later you can help me to the outhouse . Zeke was making rolled oats and fried quail left from yesterday . Zeke helped her to the table and gave her coffee .

Zeke was trying to be encouraging and said ...Wade may get home today ! She said ...I miss Wade , you don't understand how important people are to you until they are not there . Zeke shook his head yes . She said ...Wade is going to be mad that I was beaten and Nate was threatened Zeke . Jimmie and Sid are dead and I hope he doesn't take it out on you or Ed . You and Ed must be prepared for that . Zeke said ...Wade is not going to hurt us ...I don't believe that . She said ...I didn't mean he would physically hurt you but he may say hard things to ya'll . Be patient with him Zeke and talk to Ed about it . We can't let this affect our family .

Zeke kept cooking and said ...Yea..I think me , Ed and Nate need to go duck hunting this morning ! Don could stay here with you . Is that alright with you ? She said ...Sure , we get along just fine .

Ed and Don got the stock out and brought in clean water . The breakfast was good and she ate better . Zeke , Ed and Nate went hunting at the river and Don cut firewood at the cabin .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

They stopped twice to rest the stock . It was well over a hundred degrees before noon and the wagon team was laboring to pull . Wade had Juan and Lucy change them out with two of the pack horses . The stock needed water . Even Lucy and Rosa looked tired .

Wade rode ahead a ways and spotted the willows in the distance of the last waterhole and rode back telling them they were close ! He sent Juan to bring Simon and Carlos in .They made it to the waterhole . Everyone unpacked and unharnessed the team and let them drink . Lucy took Rosa down to the water and got them a drink handing her cup to the Garcia's when they were through . It was two hours till sundown and Wade said they would camp here and water the stock in the morning letting them rest overnight .

Wade had Tomas and Simon find some meat and they brought back three jackrabbits . As they all ate their share Wade cheerfully announced they would be at the ranch at noon or before tomorrow ! Everyone was smiling ...they were almost there !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Ed , Zeke and Nate went to get some meat , Zeke was walking ahead with the shotgun held across his body waiting for a covey of quail to break in front of him . Ed was carrying Nate and talking to him , He said ...You watch grandpa Zeke son ! He's bout to get us some more quail with luck . You got to be ready with quail because it happens all at once when you bust em . You got to get that shotgun up quick !

A covey broke to Zeke's right side and he swung on em firing and two went down . Ed smiled and said ...See there son ! It happens quick , you always have to be watching and ready ! Zeke was reloading and gave the shotgun to Ed . Zeke took Nate and followed telling Nate ...Now Ed is looking for stragglers Nate ! A few of them quail land too quick and hold still ! Grandpa Ed is tryin to walk em up ! Two broke and flew to the left , Ed fired and got one . Zeke said ...See there ! Grandpa Ed done good ! One more quail on rice for us !

Zeke and Ed talked about Wade getting back and finding her in the shape she was in . Ed said ...He's going to be crazy mad at the world Zeke and your the one to calm him down . Wade is going to feel great guilt , shame and pain taking all the responsibility on himself . Zeke told him ...She wanted me to talk to you . She doesn't want this terrible thing to case any of us trouble . Ed said ...I understand it all Zeke and it will only case us grief if we let it . You are the one to talk to Wade ...he will only listen to you .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke , Ed and Nate ended up with two mallard duck and eight quail . They cleaned em beside the cabin and Don washed the meat off at the well . Zeke made more rice and quail just like yesterday , they had really like it . They saved the ducks for tomorrow in wrapped buckets , there was plenty of duck to make a lot of dressing . Zeke was thinking about cooking them in rice like the quail . Don had cut a lot more firewood and stacked it , they had a lot of firewood . If they got the cabins built they would need a lot !

After a lunch of quail and rice Ed and Don went to work making boards again . Her and Zeke sat outside on the bench and he washed dishes then started washing clothes . She was worried about Wade , she wanted him back here . She was thinking she should have never let him go . But she knew that was stupid because she could not just keep him here . She knew he would have some stories and news , she wanted so bad to go to Eliasville .

She had Zeke help her in and get her sewing , she worked on Zeke's new pants till near time to heat up the quail and rice . She finished them and gave them to him . He bragged on her sewing was as good as his mother's ! They had another good meal for supper and they sat on the porch as the sun went down drinking coffee . They just talked about Wade coming home , he was sorely missed . Don mentioned doing some logging but Ed shook his head no and said ...No . Not till Wade gets back , we stay here by the cabin .

Don and Ed went to clean up and get some sleep . Zeke got her warm water set by the bed and clean sacks to dry with . he told her ...Thank you for my new pants . You worked many hours on them , I never dreamed of having a daughter like you , thank you .
She was tired and went to sleep after praying for Wade to get home safely and soon .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Everyone got up in a mood of anticipation ! They would finally get to the ranch today . The prairie had seemed endless with the fear of running into Comanche war parties . They were all happy the end was near to reach their destination . Wade compared it to Captain Jack , Sam and him crossing the same distance and this trip was almost easy . Wade had learned a lot about the route , water and those you travel with . The next trip would be even easier bringing only a few extra mounts that could double in harness . He didn't want Lucy and Rosa to come but they both pulled their weight and gave encouragement to the rest . The Garcia's had done as he asked without question and he knew they could be depended on in a fight . The two young Rangers were his only disappointment , they were lazy without leadership skill and wanted to use their badge for privilege . THAT would change quick of he would simply send them back to Fort Graham and write them up . The Rangers under him would lead and pull their weight .

They started getting into a little rougher country getting closer to the Brazos , They started leveling high spots and filling in low spots , cutting down brush and small trees to make a wagon trail through to the river . Juan , Simon and Carlos were shoveling hard to fill in a low place for the wagon and John and Steve sat their horses watching them .

Wade rode in and dismounted telling them to take a break . He pointed at Steve and John and said ...You are letting these men do all the work ! You shame me ! GET OFF THOSE HORSES AND RELIEVE THESE MEN...NOW ! They scrambled to help Wade and Steve said ...We will do it Captain , you don't have to help sir . Wade stopped and said ...You don't get it ! Everyone works together ! I'll not ask anyone to do anything I'll not do myself ! You will lead , you will be the first to offer your work or last drink of water ! You men are Rangers and will set the example for others ! John and Steve were properly shamed and were the first to offer any help all the way to the ranch .

Simon rode up to Wade later and smiled , he said ...You did well to shame those lazy young Rangers senor . Wade told him ...Help me with them Simon . If they do wrong you tell me ! Simon said ...Si senor but they will learn , they are just young !

They slowly moved northwest to the ford . The trees got thicker the closer to the river they got .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke was there with the lamp burning on the table reading the bible when she woke up . He saw her stir and helped her sit up . He said ...Your breathing normal again , your swelling is a bit better ! She said ...It still hurts to move my head really bad Zeke .He said ...I know but your getting better every day now . He helped her get dressed and get her shoes on . He gave her the brush so she could play with her hair to make her feel better . He tied her ponytail with a ribbon and said ...You look pretty ..just like always ! She knew better than that and said ,...I hate for Wade to see me like this ! I wanted to talk to him about being closer than friends .

Zeke told her ...You let him talk for a while , this will all work out ! You have to believe me ! He smiled and said ...I told you before I'll always see you in your patched dress with your hair everywhere with your bonnet hanging on your back kicking that door open ! Walking defiantly out in front of me with that old muzzleloader held across you and looking me in the eyes . You scared the heck out of me !

He said ...When I die I want you to wear that same outfit to bury me ! They both laughed . Then she said ...I'm still wearing it , it's worn out and I need clothes just like ya'll do ! I will start Ed's pants today , his are going to fall off him pretty soon . Zeke said ...Then you got a job for a few days then and Wade's ain't no better !

Zeke was making fry bread using water and said ...The milk for Nate is gone and it worries me . She just said ...I know but he can do on real food till we can do better ..he has to . I have got to get my cow breed ! Ed and Don came in and got coffee refilling her cup and she told Ed to come here . She measured him and told him he was next to get pants ! He scowled a little but just said ...Thank you ! They had eggs and frybread that wasn't very good for breakfast .Zeke would stay with her so she asked him to get her sewing kit and material for the pants . Zeke fetched it and rolled the denim out on the table for her to measure and cut .

Don and Ed went to split logs for more boards .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

They made it to the ford on the Brazos . Everyone was excited and ready to ford the river ! Wade had told them the ranch was only two miles east from the ford ! There was still much to be done to get across the river . Wade asked Lucy if she thought the wagon would be able to make it across on it's own ? She asked about the depth , bottom and current . Wade told her it was stirrup deep and the bottom was gravel and sandy , the current was not that strong . She said ...As heavy loaded as we are shouldn't have a problem but I want Simon and Juan hard tied and ropes on the double tree on each side if I need a pull before the wheels sink in . Wade waved them up and Lucy went to pointing and telling them what to do .

Wade had the pack horses split up between everyone else to one each in case a horse balked of went down . He rode close to the wagon and told Rosa to get on behind him . Everyone was ready and Wade lead across . Rosa was smiling with her arms around Wade holding tight . Wade entered the river and slowly walked Bud over to the other side .

The pack horses all crossed over one at a time . Lucy had tied the milk cow to a tree and she eased the wagon down the bank holding back on the brake so to not let the wagon roll down the bank too fast The neigh horse balked and she whacked him on the back with the reins to get him in the water . The wagon lurched around in some potholes but Simon and Juan kept a steady bind on their ropes . The wagon pulled up on dry ground !

Wade put Rosa down and she ran and got back in the wagon . Wade told Juan and Simon to get a rope on the calf and lead the cow over . He told the two Rangers to make sure everyone taken care of and was safe and take their time two miles east and they would see the cabin . Wade broke Bud into a lope to the cabin . He had to prepare them for this crowd of people coming ! He was a little worried about their reaction . They were waiting for just him and three pack horses !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Wade went as fast as he could to not wear Bud out . The cabin came in sight and it made him smile , he wanted to be home ! He walked Bud into the yard and Zeke was coming from the shed with eggs in his hands . Zeke looked around and to the west then ran to Wade . Wade thought he was glad to see him but Zeke said ...Where are the pack horses ! Wade said ...I have really big news Zeke ! Zeke shook his head and stopped Wade talking and said ...Wade I have bad news about her brother ! Wade said ...What ! What is wrong ? Tell me Zeke !

Zeke quickly told him what happened and said ...Don't blame Ed Wade ...Blame me if you have to place blame . Ed killed em both and is taking good care of her . Wade said ...Where is she ! Zeke told him ...She's in the cabin sewing , she is still hurting and sore Wade . Her face is beat up bad and swollen black and purple . She is afraid for you to see her like she is .

Wade's eyes were narrowed with rage .He told Zeke people were behind him with five pack horses and a wagon but to keep them outside and quiet until he talked to her . Wade walked fast to the cabin and went in . She was sitting on her bed with her back to him sewing and said ...Were there any eggs Zeke ? Wade stood there and she turned her head , seeing him she gasped and covered her face .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She started to cry and sobbing covering her face with her head down almost in her lap . Wade stood there looking at her back clenching and un clinching his hands . He walked around the bed and jerked a seat in front of her sitting down . He slowly reached out and sat her up then gently pulled her hands away from her face . She was shaking and sobbing . And he held her .

She said softly choking ...I'm sorry ! He held her and said ...You have nothing to be sorry for . I should have never left you ! They did this to you and I want to kill them but Ed took care of that . Don't cry , talk to me . I have waited a long time to talk to you , I have missed you so much !

He wiped her tears away and kissed her face . He pushed the seat back and knelt holding her hands and asked ...Would you marry me ? I have had it on my mind and worried over it asking because you might refuse me . You need not give your answer now but will you consider me ? I'm not a good enough man for you but I will try to make you a good husband ..I love you ! Please don't make me beg you .

He held her face and said ...You will always be beautiful to me ! Your face will heal , the scars will be on the inside . I'll try to help you heal those scars if you will have me .

She slowed up crying and said ...If you take me you take Nate too and Zeke too . Wade said ...I have already taken him ! I want to raise him with us together ! I love Nate . I love Zeke as well and you know that ! At least tell me you will consider me . She said ...I already have . You are a good man and I want to marry you but we must talk and get everything right between us . Wade kissed her and said ...Thank you !

Wade smiled at her and said ...I have many surprises for you ! You are about to meet new people I have brought here ! There is a new wagon loaded with supplies and five more pack horse loads ! You will love them all ! You stay right where you are!

Wade heard the wagon rolling in the yard and voices .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Wade ran out the door . The wagon and everyone was safe and at the ranch ! Ed , Zeke and Don were amazed and trying to figure out what the heck was happening . Wade ran up and talked to them all and explained she had been attacked and beaten . He quickly explained things to Ed , Zeke and Don . They said ...Your a ranger captain now ! Wade tried to get everyone settled down to meet her one or a few at a time . He lifted Rosa down from the wagon box and told them to get to know one another till they could have a big talk .

He held Rosa's hand and took her inside saying ...I have you a great gift ! He put Rosa in front of her and she said ...A beautiful little girl ! I have not seen a little girl in so long ! She hugged Rosa and Rosa smiled and hugged her back . Wade said ...You have to teach her English . Rosa pointed at Nate and she said ...Yes and pushed Rosa toward him . Rosa picked Nate up and ran out the door to show him to everyone .

Wade said ...Do you like Rosa ? She said ...Oh yes ! She is lovely but where did you get her ? Wade laughed and said ...Her father and her three uncles work for us now . Stay where you are ! Wade called Simon and his brothers in and they stood holding their hats and told her how sorry they were for her troubles . They all touched her head and held her hand . Wade told them to have Lucy come in . She said ...Who is Lucy ? Wade said ...Lucy will grow on you ! And he laughed and said ...You must promise me you will not start dipping snuff . She said ...What ?

Lucy stormed in and saw her . She came and sat down by the bed brushing her hair down with her hands . She said ...I'm so sorry those pieces of trash hurt you ! I'm gonna be doin the cookin and such till you get better ! You just tell me what needs done and me and Rosa can do it . You are so pretty ! And you have pretty long hair , GOD has blessed you sweetie . Me and you are gonna do just fine takin care of these heathen men here . I'll have them put everything exactly where you want it ! Lucy went out hollering at the Garcia's to start bringing in the food .

Wade said ...Like I said ...she will grow on you .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

It was a mess with all the supplies to be put up and no organization . Wade told Ed to show the two Rangers where to bed down and have them start taking care of the stock . He told Zeke to organize the unloading and putting away . He went in the cabin and helped her to the table . He hollered at Rosa who was still carrying Nate around with the pup jumping up and down around her nervous about Nate . Wade got her two biggest pots and sack of dried meat . He told her ...We have to start organizing all these people , you and Rosa make two big pots of meat and beans . You make her do the work , she is really smart ! You can do work and direct from this table ! Do not be walking around !

Wade took his five point star out of his pocket and put it on . He said ...I forgot to tell you ! I'm a Ranger Captain now and the ranch is a Ranger outpost field command . Her mouth dropped open then she said … You are a Captain in the Rangers ! Wade was getting a sack of beans and said ...Yes and we are a Ranger headquarters here . She said ...WE HAVE TO TALK ! Wade laughed and said ...It's a good thing for us , I will tell all of you about it after supper this evening . But for now these people have had little to eat for four days and we have to feed them .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Everything was put away , there was more food in the cabin than any of them had ever seen there ! But now there were twelve people to feed , just preparing meals would be a two person job . The livestock shed would hold what men they had now but a bunkhouse needed to be built . The Garcia's were a blessing , they needed little direction and worked together well . Rosa and Lucy would stay in the cabin ...Wade hoped Lucy didn't drive her crazy before she got use to her . Zeke , Ed and Don were a little overwhelmed with all these people here but they would get use to it .

It was noon so they stretched the duck and rice out with a lot of cornbread and sweet tea from the new supplies . She heard a calf bawling and Wade told her they had a milk cow again and Nate would have milk . They would have butter and milk for cooking ! He handed Zeke a twelve gage double barrel he had bought him , Ed and Zeke smiled . Beans with meat were cooking for supper . It was working out .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Wade let all the new people rest and get use to the ranch after lunch . He called Zeke .Ed and Don into the cabin with him and her . He explained his field commission in the Rangers and what this field command was and how it would operate . He said he saw it benefiting everyone , the ranch , the Rangers and the settlers . He assured them he was still part of the ranch and their family here .

He told Don he would be over the new Rangers but to come to him , Ed , Zeke or her to get advice . He told Don he had a lot of faith in him and that he had really learned to work with others in a short time . It made Don happy for Wade to speak well of him .

He told Ed to handle any Ranger problems that he deemed needed attention , he told Ed ...I wouldn't dare doubt your judgement Ed .

He told Zeke to just do everything like he always did and they all laughed .

He told her , you are the boss on anything just like Zeke . You will be listened to ! You make these men wash clothes , dishes or anything needs to be done just like all of us here have always done ! But we all depend on you for good food and Lucy will be a great help with Rosa .

We will get this figured out quick and get it done like we always have taking care of each other . I am not obligated to go afield for the Rangers . I am to handle rest and command of the field Rangers , they will most likely be coming in soon and I think the bunkhouse should be a priority to hold our hands and the Rangers .

Zeke , Ed and Don ...ya'll figure in out and just let me and her know . There are many things I don't know about where the Rangers are in the field and such but it will become more clear over time . I don't know if Lucy will stay or go home when we go again to Eliasville in two to three weeks .We will have a cookstove coming , another load of supplies and maybe one hundred rolls of the barbed wire ! They all said ...Where are we going to put it all ! Wade said ...As I said ...the bunkhouse needs to be a priority .

That gives us all thought and a place to start . PLUS ! I would like to announce to you my family that I have proposed to her ! If she will have me we will be married soon and I want each of you to talk her into it ! They all got up and were shaking Wade's hand and hugging her especially Zeke . They left happy and to tell the Garcia's that tomorrow they would start a bunkhouse !

Wade looked at her across the table and said ...Lets talk about anything you want to . Just you and me .

Return to “Off-Topic”