Tumbleweeds

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chuck j
Posts in topic: 973

Re: Tumbleweeds

Post by chuck j »

Zeke , Ed and Don came in for lunch . She quickly put her writing away on the mantle . She had let time get away from her , she put the dumplings on to heat . Zeke started talking about logging again and raising the logs they had on the starting of the new cabins . She said ...That's good ! In the future we will cut no more pecan trees unless it is to thin them , we are going to try and sell the pecans ...somehow .

They talked about it . Zeke said ...We use to pick them after frost in Georgia and the owners sold them local but they didn't bring much because everyone could pick em up on any creek . But I agree they would bring more up north ! It's just findin wholesalers to buy em . We just need to figure it out We got PLENTY of trees ! There is no limit to how many you could gather here on the river . Ed said ...They would have to be shipped by rail , closest rail is Fort Worth . Getting them cross river and to Eliasville would be the roughest haul , from there is a road to Fort Graham then to Fort Worth .

They talked as they had lunch and she felt better ...being distracted by the conversation .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She told them ...Our bacon is used up , the ham is gone and the dried meat is almost gone . The onions are gone and the potatoes . We have very little sugar and lard , the tea is near used up . But ! we have a lot of coffee , flour , salt , cornmeal and spices ! We have six catfish caught yesterday on stringers in the river ! We need to dry more meat , can ya'll go hunting ?

They all said ...Yes ! There was plenty of deer on the river . After lunch Zeke and Don set up the drying racks between the cabin and the garden hauling firewood from the tree trimmings on the other side of the cabin . They planned on hunting in the morning early , they looked forward to it . Ed cleaned his long double barrel rifle and Don asked ...Where in the world did you get a rifle like that ? Ed kept cleaning and said ...Took it off an outlaw I killed who killed a German settler and robbed him and got it . Don asked ...What caliber is it ? Ed said ...It's 69 caliber , it was made in Germany and it is very accurate at long range . I have used it for over forty years . Don said ...Is it a good hunting rifle ? Ed said ...Yes , I have hunted a lot of two legged vermin with it in those years , this time I'll kill something you can eat .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke got his new 1873 Winchester and was cleaning and oiling it , He retired his Spencer to the extra arms pile loaded in the corner by the table . They sat at the table all cleaning their rifles . Ed said ...Do you know how the Brazos river got it's name ? No one knew so he said ... The Brazos River gets its name from the Spanish. It is Los Brazos de Dios which means the arms of God. Texans just shortened it to ...Brazos which means arms . I'd say we are in the arms of GOD here , the river takes care of us .

She said . Amen !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

When the evening came and it cooled they loaded the logging tools in the cart to take downriver . Zeke and Ed went to the river on foot to fetch a few of the catfish for supper . Zeke took the shotgun and asked Ed ...You want to walk a bit downriver to the cattails and see it we can get some ducks ? Ed said ...Sure , I like duck ! Zeke loaded it with four shot and said ...We will take Nate , he loves to go hunting . Ed didn't really see taking a baby but didn't say anything .

They walked to the river and got to the same place Zeke had got the last ducks . Zeke propped Nate up on the same clump of salt grass talking to him ...Nate be quiet and watch . We're gonna see if there's ducks ! Pay attention son , Ed's gonna try and get us some meat . Zeke gave the shotgun to Ed and told him to slow crawl through the grass .

It took a while ...a good while and Zeke told Nate ...Bet he's getting em lined up son ! The sixteen gage boomed and Zeke got Nate and walked to the water . Ed was standing there and five dead ducks floating by the cattails ! Zeke told Ed ...You did a good job Ed ! You shot em so I'll fetch em . Zeke pulled his pants and boots off and went to get the ducks . Ed stood there holding Nate and said to him ...Your grandpa is teaching you good son . I'm enjoyin huntin with you too ! I never went huntin with anyone young as you .

They went on and got two catfish to take back planning on having fish this evening and the ducks tomorrow to allow plenty of time to cook the ducks . They were carrying home a lot of food when they got to the cabin . She was excited about the ducks ...they were not an everyday thing to have . Zeke , her and Ed started cleaning the ducks under the big mesquite tree while Don cleaned the catfish and fileted them for supper . They put the dressed ducks in metal buckets and wrapped wet sacks on them to keep them cool . They had cornbread left over from lunch so had fried catfish and cornbread for supper and some hard fudge

As they ate she said ...The arms of GOD . I can't get that out of my mind . The river is a gift , we are in the arms of GOD here . Earlier today I felt like we were running out of food when I told you all the luxuries we were out of but we are blessed ! Our Lord has provided this fine meal and enough for tomorrow . We are just spoiled . Not that long ago me and Nate were to the end of all supplies and I worried for us but we never went hungry . He provided . Will I ever lay it to him and let him be in control . I feel ashamed as I eat to know how I looked at things this morning .

Zeke said ...It ain't just you ! It's all of us ! We need mark it in our mind ! He will provide . Ed said ...Yes . Don watched each of them ...listening .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke was silent a while and he up and said to her ...You know what you need ! She said ...What? He said ...You need a bedroom ! This cabin gets awful busy sometimes ! Yep ..you need a bedroom ! She laughed and said ...Everything is working fine . You are building three cabins and now you want to build me a bedroom !

Zeke sat up straight and said ...Yes ma'am ! I got big ideas ! But look how things are changing since it was just you , me and Nate ! Yes , things are changing and we are falling behind . Wade is talking about hiring help to put up fence and they can't sleep on the ground ! Yes ma'am...we are runnin behind .

She thought and he was right , things were changing . She said ...You are right things are changing but we will see about the bedroom . We have a full plate right now and more than we can do ...and I'm no good to work . Zeke said ...SHOOT ! I got to watch you like a hawk ! I seen you near kill yourself workin ! She got red faced and Zeke started laughing , stood up , walked behind her , held her and kissed her head . He took his hat off the nail and walked out laughing . Ed started laughing too . He got up and said ...He sure does love you . This place is having an effect on me I haven't felt in a long time ! Ed got his hat laughing walked behind her and asked ...May I kiss you ma'am ? She said ...Of coarse ! He kissed her head and followed Zeke . Don just quickly picked his hat off the floor and left .

She sat there and fumed a few min and broke into laughter . She kept forgetting Zeke was as smart as he was !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She got out her sewing basket . She had put it off long enough . She needed to make everyone some clothes ! She and the men looked like they were wearing scarecrow clothes . She ought to have been ashamed to send Wade off to somewhere civilized wearing what he owned for clothes ! She needed two work dresses and a jumper herself . She hollered off the porch for Zeke and he came quick thinking something was wrong . She said ...Come inside . She got her cloth tape and started measuring him . He said ...I'm good for clothes , mine are still decent ! She just said ...Be still .

When she was through she said ...Tell Ed to come here if he would . Ed showed up quick and she started measuring him too . He said ...Ma'am you need not trouble with making me clothes , mine are good . She said ...Everyone here is near naked . Your all due for clothes ! Ed was quiet . He left back to the shed when she was through .

She got the denim material from the shelf and unfolded it on the table . She would start by cutting out two pair of pants for Zeke then two pair for Ed . She started measuring and cutting with her scissors . She had two pair cut out by the time they came for tea . She told them they would have coffee since they had plenty of it . They sat on the porch and drank coffee . She said ...I miss them . Zeke said ...Wade will be back pretty soon . She said ...They are camped now and eating whats left of the dumplings . Zeke said ...They will be fine , who could do those three harm ?

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Wade chambered another cartridge into the Henry using the high edge of the sink hole to rest his rifle on and gently pulled the trigger . The Comanche's horse went down . Sam was laying ten feet away slowly and steadily firing , he had dropped two Comanche off their horses . Captain Jack laid several feet from Sam holding the horses trying to keep them from bolting , firing when he could .

The Comanche had come out of nowhere as they started to unload the pack saddles watering the cows and horses and going to sleep the night at the waterhole . There were around ten of them , Sam had hit two of them and Wade had shot two horses out from under a couple .

The sun was going down , it didn't look good .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke had set her a metal bucket of water by the coals in the fireplace . Ed and Don left to get ready for bed . Zeke and her went inside . Zeke got the bucket of warm water and put it by her bed as she picked things up . He stopped her and told her to go to bed , it would be there in the morning . She said ...I'm going to miss Captain Jack and Sam so much Zeke . He said ...We all will , we will see them again ...You will see! Now get some sleep the morning comes early . You know I'm close if you need me . He pulled the door closed as he left .

She bathed and put on her gown sitting on the side of the bed she prayed for them on their journey home .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Wade , Sam and Captain Jack Sat and talked looking into the darkness . Wade said ...It's unlikely they will be back tonight , there's no moon . They think we are just some drovers moving cows , they don't know they are up against a superior force ! Sam and Captain Jack laughed .

Captain Jack agreed they wouldn't try to attack in the dark and said ...Wade ! How bout you and me walk east a bit and ease down that dry creek we crossed a quarter mile back . I bet they hole up there tonight and we could steal or shoot their horses . They can't do much without horses ! Sam could move off in the grass and lay for any that might come here but I'm not seeing that .

Wade said ...We wait a while , put the packs back on the horses and be ready to leave quick first light or earlier ? Sam said ...Sounds good to me , if we don't they'll dog us an pick us off one at a time . They wont be looking for us to come to them being as how we are outnumbered . Captain Jack got up and started putting the pack saddles back on the horses in the dark .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Captain Jack and Wade got the horses ready then they sat and watched . In around three hours they walked east then cut back toward the dry creek . Getting there they moved as quiet as possible in the dark . Wade laid his hand on the Captains shoulder and there down the creek there was a dim reflection in the trees in the creek bottom . They eased their way there and found the Comanche , they were in the bottom and had a very small fire for light .

They knew the horses would be tied at the top of the creek bed but most likely had a guard on them . They moved slow and found the horses right above them in the bottom . They took a chance and started cutting the ropes on the horses slowly collecting six of them . They started leading them out on the prairie and hollering started in the bottom . Wade had three horses and so did Captain Jack . Wade mounted one bareback and Captain Jack did the same . They started back to Sam . Shots rang out from the dry creek but it was too dark for the Comanche to see them . They had to keep it to a fast walk in the dark pulling two horses apiece !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She woke and got dressed , there was much to do today . She must stay busy and she had plenty of sit down work with the sewing . She hadn't ever attempted this much sewing at a time . Her hands and fingers would be sore tonight and for a while . She and her mother had always enjoyed sewing during the Iowa winters when there was little to do on the farm . Her mother took in sewing for extra money time to time from town women who were too lazy to do the work . She needed to make Nate a stocking hat for this winter , she would keep him well . She would not lose another child like she did with Jenny !

She didn't know what Zeke would do today . He really wanted to build the cabins , Don seemed to like working with wood . Wade and Sam were gone now and they were the ones with the most experience building from timber . She really didn't want Zeke logging without her there to watch him . She actually thought about it and moderation in work was a great weakness for both of them .

She did a lot of thinking as she made mush , she was sad all the bacon was gone . They were out of a lot of things , Wade had a really big list of supplies to bring back . So much she didn't see how he could do it by himself with only three pack horses . They might not be able to get to Eliasville again before winter set in . But there was hay and corn for the stock . She wished her cow could have been bred , buying milk in cans seemed crazy to her and the canned milk was second best to use for cooking .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Wade and Captain Jack found Sam in the darkness calling to him when they figured they were near the sink hole . They figured they better get moving though through the darkness it would be hard . Wade had shot two of their horses and they stole six so the Comanche would be practically afoot . They would be despite to get their mounts back and would come at daylight , Wade , Sam and Captain Jack were still outnumbered and couldn't get penned down at the sink hole . Wade and Captain Jack strung the stolen horses and tied them to the pack horses , Sam was going to have a hard time leading so many horses in the dark .

Wade and the Captain gathered all the cattle they could and got them following the horses behind Sam ...it was a mess but they got headed south .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke came in and put bowls out for the mush and sat the sugar on the table . She said ...Sugar is about gone , we need to tell them so we can stretch it out as far as we can . Zeke just shook his head that he understood .

Ed and Don came in and got a cup of coffee and stayed out of the way of her and Zeke getting breakfast ready . She handed Nate to Ed and said ...Will you start feeding him ? Ed stuttered a little and said ...Sure . Ed got a spoonful of mush and tried to get Nate to take it . Don said ...That's too much ! Give him a third of that ! Zeke and her smiled at each other .

Ed was talking to Don and said ..Me and Zeke are teachin him to hunt ! He's doin really good too ! Don cut his eyes at Ed . Zeke said ...Yes sir ! Nate's a big help ! He just needs a little more size to him and we can just rest up while he does the heavy huntin round here ! Don was silent .

As they had breakfast Zeke asked Don ...I'm thinkin to do some logging today , you want to come ? Ed could do around here , there is plenty to do . Don said ...I never cut logs but I'll surely go with you .

Ed said ...I'll start cutting some of these limb trimming to he west side of the cabin to firewood lot of firewood there . Don and Ed left to hook up the cart to the black mule and Zeke helped her clean up . She said ...You will go slow cutting trees Zeke , I need you . Do not overwork yourself ! There is time to get the cabins up for winter . Zeke promised he would .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

They pushed on through the night . At first light they halted to take stock . There were no Comanche following they could see but they were leaving a broad trail behind them through the prairie , they could not hide .

They talked . Captain Jack said ...I can't believe they will not try to get their horses back ! I think we got the jump on them pulling out last night but figure they are following fast on foot with a couple of horses they didn't get shot or us taking . Wade and Sam agreed . Captain Jack said ...The sinkhole was the last water for a day and a half ride going the speed we are now . We have to keep moving and pushing the cows or they will go back or wander looking for water . We push em till after dark tonight before we stop to rest . We might be able to trade the pack saddles out to the stolen horses if they are saddle broke or at least spare our own mounts . The next two days are going to be hard !

Sam said ...Lets get movin ! Slow and steady till after dark then rest the animals . They mounted and got the cows moving . They had lost three cows in the dark last night .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke and Don Got to the place downriver where they had quit felling trees . Zeke explained a few things to Don about the kind of logs they needed and they went to clearing and felling . They had taken two lard buckets of water with them . By near noon they had eight trees down but needing trimmed . They drove the cart back to the cabin for lunch .

Ed had really cut and sawed a lot of firewood and stacked it head high against the end of the cabin when Zeke and Don came back taking the black mule to water and unhooking the cart under the big mesquite tree . She had put the ducks on early and made cornbread dressing with only boiled eggs and spices . It was ok but not her usual dressing but it was what they had .

She had the two pair of pants cut and basted to sew the legs up . She had cut and already sewn the front pockets in , the rear pocket would be when the waistband was whipped and stitched . She was enjoying the sewing now that she had started and driven to finish them .

They all came in and she pushed her sewing mess to the end of the table . Zeke got plates and forks as she put the food on the table . She said ...Zeke will stand for me that I usually make better dressing than this ! I am ashamed of it but it's edible and the best I could do with supplies what they are . Ed said ...Ma'am since being here it's been like eating in a restaurant ! I have been eating my own slop for years , eating was just to survive . I think I'm gaining weight since I came !

Zeke laughed and said ...The dressing will be good , she always wants everything perfect . When I came here I told her same as Ed ! I just ate jerky or a roast rattler to get to the next dry camp to sleep .

Well the dressing was good and they rested an hour or so talking . The men were tired but revived quickly . Ed went to check the stock and gather eggs , Don and Zeke hooked up the cart and went back downriver .
She sewed steady with no breaks !

Return to “Off-Topic”