Tumbleweeds

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chuck j
Posts in topic: 973

Re: Tumbleweeds

Post by chuck j »

They moved steady south across the prairie , there was a small stand of mixed hackberry and mesquite ahead . Wade said to Captain Jack ...We better rest the stock in the shade ahead Captain , we got a long time to go to get to water . Captain Jack said ...That's what we will do , we will see if we can do some changing on the mounts and pack horses . I'd rather see the Comanche horses be hard put than our own , we have a long way to go . Wade agreed and rode up to tell Sam . Sam just shook his head and Wade fell back to ride drag pushing the cattle forward .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke and Don came in in the late evening . She was about to send Ed to look for them , she didn't know to be scared or mad . She assumed Zeke was working too hard but something could have happened . Finally She and Ed saw the cart coming through the grass and she was relived . They put the cart and black mule up then coming into the cabin . She asked Don ...How many trees did you fell ? He said fourteen . She was mad ! She said nothing at supper but what she was asked . Shortly after eating Ed said ...Don help me grain the stock . And they walked to the shed .

Zeke was soaking wet with sweat sitting there . He said ...I am sorry . She stood up and said ...I watched Hosea work till he could hardly stand ! I saw him destroying himself and it scared me to death just like you are doing to me now ! I am trying to take care of myself for Nate and you though I would rather be doing the hard work ! You scare me ! Do you not think of Nate and me ! I love you Zeke . I will not see you kill yourself over ..LOGS ! He stood up and said ...Don't hate me , you know I love you and Nate . You have given me more than anyone else has offered me .

She softened and said ...I just want you to take care of yourself ! I don't know what I would do without you ! She sat down and started sobbing . Zeke squeezed her shoulders and said ...Please don't cry , I am sorry , I told you I wouldn't work too hard and made myself a liar. Zeke sat beside her and held her .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

They were resting the stock . Saddles stripped and allowed to graze but the cows and horses were needing water bad , they had been pushing steady . Captain Jack unpacked an 1873 Winchester and handed it to Wade saying ...I actually meant to let you use one of these till Fort Graham . You need a better rifle . He gave him a cartridge bag with a hundred rounds to go with it .

Sam said ...Riders comin ! Wade and Captain Jack looked to the north and three riders were coming . Wade said ...They must have found one of the horses Sam shot the two riders off of , I figured they would have two left . Captain Jack said ...They will try to keep us from moving till the ones on foot get here . Wade said ...Get the horses loaded , I'll keep em busy a while . Wade saddled quick and rode Bud west in sight of them . They veered off in his direction , he was alone . They got near enough to shoot and he slumped over the front of the saddle clinging to the horn then fell in the tall grass telling Bud ..GO! Bud moved off and they closed to where he had fallen .

When they cautiously approached he rose kneeling firing at close range . He shot two out of the saddle and the third took off back north . Wade walked to Bud and remounted , he caught the two rider less horses and went to the trees . Captain Jack said ...Dang it son ! You take such chances ! They might have actually hit you ! Wade said nothing except ...Are we ready to move out ? The ones on foot will be coming and we need be far from here come dark . Captain Jack said ...Lets get em moving .

Wade and Captain Jack had a hard time getting the cows moving , they were thirsty and ragged out with a lot of ground to cover .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke in a while got up and got her a damp cloth to hold on her eyes . She had stopped crying . She said ...I feel powerless to protect you against yourself Zeke . Our lives are so good and we give so much to each other because we care but we fail in moderation of ourselves . You have lectured me as I have you , our common fault is obvious ! We must protect ourselves to protect the other . We lack temperance , we prove no more worth to ourselves just because we are willing to kill ourselves with work . Our lives are to be balanced as in all things .

Zeke said ...I know your right . In Proverbs it says ' a false balance is not good' . We will work on our like failing together . She shook her head yes .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

They had been pushing for a few hours and Wade rode up to Captain Jack , they had put their saddles on Comanche horses saving their own . Wade said ...Sam is not looking good Captain ..I'm worried about him sir ! Captain Jack said ...I know ! He has just had a bad wound and been septic with blood poisoning only a bit ago but he will not complain till he falls out of the saddle . He needs water and rest , we have pushed hard and will reach water in the morning by bedding the stock shortly after sundown and starting early in the dark . The Comanche are on foot and worse off than us .

Wade said ...How bout I drop off here and lay for em Captain ! I could take a few of em and slow em down then catch up to you ? Captain Jack said ...NO ! You would be on foot and outnumbered , if Sam goes down I'd be alone to tend him and try to keep the stock together ! No , we will stay together ! Wade said ...Your right , I guess we keep moving .

Wade fell back , he was having to ride up and slap the straggling longhorns on the rump with his rope to keep them moving . In a bit a cow stumbled and went down , he rode to her and dismounted . She had broken a front leg , he pulled his Colt Army and shot her in the head . He remounted and kept them moving .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke held her hand . He looked at her hand , it was so small . He said ...Forgive me Lord ! Forgive me and help me . Help us Lord . Put it on our mind to measure all things in our lives . Give us to consider ourselves as those who love us do and not selfishly only by what we do to please our self . Help us to consider those who love us first in all things . Help us both measure out the strength you give to not waste your gift foolishly . Help us be mindful of our failings that we need not repeat them ! Thank you for what all you have given . Amen

She squeezed his hand and pulled his head down to hers .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

The sun was down . Wade and the Captain sat on the ground , the cattle were too tired to wander far and the horses were staked to graze though they ate little . Sam lay asleep or passed out with a saddle bag under his head put there by Captain Jack . Wade assessed their situation , it wasn't good . Captain Jack was completely worn out and looking drawn , Sam needed water bad .

Wade told Captain Jack ...I'm going to take our horses and go south to water . I'll take all the containers she put supplies in and bring water back . Captain Jack said ...That's crazy to take off cross prairie in the dark Wade ! Wade said ...Sam's got to have water and your goin down too Captain ! I can get back with the horses watered and get ya'll a drink . We don't even know if Sam is going to be able to ride come daylight . You stay put and tend Sam , I'll go fast as I can .

Wade emptied all the lard buckets she had packed things in and took their horses while he rode a Comanche horse south to try and get water . If Sam and the Captain had to leave they still had horses .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Her and Zeke both did not sleep well . They each felt bad in their own way .

She woke up and eased up putting her clothes on and brushing her hair . She must lay down her worry for what seemed like everyone ...worry was not fixing anything . Her side was a lot better and was healing well .

She made rolled oats with sugar for breakfast and cinnamon frybread . They would like that .

Zeke came in early and washed yesterdays dishes as she finished breakfast . He stacked them on the work counter .

Ed and Don came in from staking out the stock and Ed said ...Sure are a lot less horses to put out to graze , doesn't take any time at all .Don said ...If the back was fenced like Wade was talking about we would just open a gate to let all of them out to graze .

They talked of where the fences should be and she said ..I never want it fenced from the cabin to the river . It is too pretty to put up fences there . They all agreed .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Wade was dead tired . He was having trouble staying awake . The stars were out and a sliver of moon was bright . He kept the Comanche horse headed south . Captain Jack said there was a spring fed small creek that ran west to east , he figured it ran into the clear fork of the Brazos somewhere east . Wade had only been riding for about an hour and the horses ears pitched forward and he let them lead . They found the creek in the dark a lot closer than Captain Jack figured !

Wade let the horses drink enough before they water foundered and tied them still together while he filled the lard buckets and put the lids on . He drank what he wanted and let the horses get another drink then headed back north .

He found them , He gave the Captain a bucket and sat Sam up to drink . Sam came awake and drank till Wade told him to take a break , that they had plenty of water . Wade put the saddles on their horses and mounted gathering the cows best he could . Captain Jack helped Sam in the saddle and they started to the creek . There was a light breeze out of the south and the cattle smelled the water speeding up . They made it to the creek and Wade made Captain Jack and Sam eat some cookies and dried cornbread . He pulled the packs and saddles . They bedded down .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Daylight came . Wade made coffee in a lard bucket . They sat on the ground and drank out of the same cup passing it around . Captain Jack said Eliasville was only two miles away to the west . They ate more cookies and some jerky then loaded the pack horses and gathered the cattle . They had made it through with eleven head . Sam was up but awful weak . Wade doing for him . They rode into Eliasville .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Elisville was just a community . A store with a post , a café , a blacksmith , a small livery , small church and residents most of which provided one small service or another . It was a quiet and beautiful place on the river . The biggest business was the mill which made flour and cornmeal employing several . The millpond on the river for the mill looked like it came out of a picture .

Wade choused the cattle off on a wide open pasture by the river till he found a place to keep them . They rode to the store and dismounted going in a man was moving dry goods on a set of shelves . He got off his ladder and walked up front holding out his hand saying ...Captain Coffee ! I'm so glad to see you again sir ! They shook hands and started talking . Wade asked ...May our friend sit down ? The owner Ed Staley said seeing Sam did not look good ...Of coarse ! and drug a chair from behind the counter . Sam sat down and Mr Staley said ...Mr Wallace you look sick sir ! You could lay down upstairs if you would like to ! Sam thanked him but said ...Not right now but thank you .

Captain Jack explained what had happened and Ed Staley hollered at his wife upstairs , she came down and listened . She went to make them tea . Captain Jack finished the story and Mr Staley said ...You must be our guests tonight ! We have a room upstairs with four beds . I insist you stay with us ! Captain Jack said ...Thank you sir , your kindness is certainly apricated !

The Captain introduced Wade as part owner of the new Black Mule Ranch and that he and Sam would vouch for him in any way . They shook hands and Wade said ...I will be discussing our account with you sir and have a large order to fill . What you can not fill I will get at Fort Graham but we prefer to do business with you . Wade said ...Sir I have left eleven head of cows on the river coming into here do you know where I could keep them ? The storekeeper said ...Yes ! You can keep them right here . I trade livestock at times and have a large pen and shed out back . Please feel free to use it !

His wife brought them a glass of tea and they stood at the counter talking . Captain Jack said I have letters to all that sent their condolences to Hosea's wife from her . May I leave them here for you to hand out ?

Much was discussed , information given and advice sought . Captain Jack asked ...Does the café serve lunch ? Mr Staley said ...Yes sir ! They will be serving just shortly , the food is good too ! Wade , Sam and The Captain walked three doors down and ate lunch .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke and Don were going to cut logs , she was silent . Zeke said ...We will cut and trim Five logs this morning ...No more and be back for lunch . They left and she worked at her sewing . She was making good time at it . She walked on the porch and called Ed . When he came in she said ...Could you get us some fish from the river and cactus for lunch ? He said ...Sure ! And left for the river taking a flour sack and the shotgun . In a bit she heard the shotgun and figured they also had supper .

Ed cleaned the fish and she hung them to roast by the coals and prepared the new cactus pads wetting and coating them with flour . He had shot a jackrabbit and cleaned it , she started boiling it for rabbit and dumplings at supper . She worked at the sewing in between

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke and Don rode in and Don tended the horses . Zeke went in the cabin and put plates on the table . He was not soaking wet like yesterday , he said ...We cut five trees and trimmed them ...that's all ! We may go back and haul them this evening when it cools some . She didn't say a lot .

They all ate and there was not a lot of talk like there usually was . When they finished she put leftover hard fudge on the table and everyone had some . Then Ed asked Don ...Don would you mind if I talk to zeke and her alone ? Don said ...Sure ! I have a few things to do .

Don left and Ed stared at her then stared at Zeke . He said ...I'm trying to be calm !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Ed said ...I'm trying to remain calm ! I had to force myself to come back here ! In my mind I was taking a great gamble trusting people enough to want to be close to them . I trained myself long ago to find evil in all people and sort ones that needed to be put down like a rabid coyote . In the process of looking only for evil you yourself will become an evil also ! I have shunned becoming close to anyone ..to love them .

To give love to someone you can be hurt ...your takin a chance ! It better mean something to you and you better be willing to be hurt to keep that love , at least to a degree . When I came here first I thought I saw something here and it scared me . I thought I saw people that cared for each other only by choice , you two scared me . It went against everything I wanted and made myself believe . You two were the examples to everyone else to do the same . I'm not sure now , the evil side of me is telling me to get out of this place !

Why can't you work together on this small thing when you can fight Comanche , tend others needs , work together or anything else ! That is a question and I want an answer for myself right now to know if I need to get out of here .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

They ate at the café . There were a few people there and they met them and talked asking them about the country . They took Sam to the store and got him upstairs . Mrs Staley went to draw and warm him some water to bathe and Wade got him his clean clothes out of his saddlebags . Wade and Captain Jack rode to the cattle downstream and drove them to the pens behind the store taking care of the horses and putting their gear in the big shed . Captain Jack went to check Sam . Wade finished up at the pens . Mr Staley came out to the pens and looked the cattle over saying ...I buy livestock at times , I wanted to see what your asking for your cattle .

Wade and him started a haggle . A friendly haggle takes a deal of time or trading selling stock as everyone knows ..it is the nature of 'horse trading' . They were a bit apart on price and Wade said ...If you buy the cattle I will put all the money toward credit at your store so you would profit through the normal profit on what we would buy and also you are out no cash in hand as all will go to us buying from you . I think I'm being VERY fair , we will always be fair and expect the same in kind . Perhaps in the future we can both do well with livestock dealings ?

The storekeeper saw the potential in it and said ...I'll take all the cattle right now at your price and credit it immediately to the Black Mule Ranch account ! You may purchase at any time toward it . They shook hands and it was done ! Wade , Sam and the Captain were shut of the cattle and didn't have to trail them to Fort Graham plus Wade got at least fifty percent more than he figured the army would pay plus Mr Staley said he would keep the horses they need not trail to Fort Graham till Wade returned ! They were free of dealing with the stock and could just ride to Fort Graham .

Mr Staley had about an eight acre patch of land with the pens and shed on it fenced with barbed wire to the river .Wade said ...Tell me about the barbed wire sir and do you deal in it ? Mr Staley talked much of the wire and said he could probably have it in a month or so if it were ordered . He said ...Texas is going to be completely fenced in time sir ! This wire actually works ! He told Wade that they would eat supper with them and in the future they were welcome to stay with them when they came . Wade generously thanked him .

Return to “Off-Topic”