Tumbleweeds

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chuck j
Posts in topic: 973

Re: Tumbleweeds

Post by chuck j »

Everyone cleaned up in the cabin , washed dishes and did what needed be done . The men went to the shed picking up a bucket of water on the way . Zeke stayed and got her warm water off the coals and sat it by her bed . He sat down with her and told her how happy he was they were getting married . He said ...I'm gaining a son in Wade , he is a fine man . They hugged each other and he put his hat on walking to the shed .

Lucy was putting her and Rosa's gowns on and told her ...Sweetie I envy you ! You have good men in your life . She said ...Lucy they are all in your life now too . They all like you . She laid awake for a long time thinking about the commitment she had made to Wade .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Lucy lit the lamp and kindled the fire . She woke up and sat on the side of her bed . Lucy got the coffee started and sat down with her . She without thinking picked up her brush and fixed her hair . She did the same for Lucy today . They both got dressed and started slowly fixing breakfast . They were having rolled oats with milk , butter and sugar , fried ham , and toast made of quickbread .

She stopped while slicing ham and looked at Lucy saying ...Thank you for helping me yesterday morning Lucy , you were a blessing to me . Lucy said ...We are both a blessing to one another sweetie ! She said ...We need to pray every morning , there is so much to pray for . Lucy wiped her hands off and sat down . They gave thanks and prayed to GOD asking for his help in many things .

It was seemingly a bit cooler the last few days although plenty hot . Wade and Zeke were concerned about taking care of everyone this winter . They MUST get the cabins ready and supplies in . When the rains and ice storms came they could be locked in for long periods . Wade wanted to get the fencing started . The livestock shed needed to be expanded with all the stock they had now for cold weather . Crossing the river when it froze over would be impossible . Much more firewood needed be cut for all these cabins . Things needed to get done

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Everyone did their daily chores for the morning and sat down bragging on the food . Expectations were high for getting even more done today . All the logs were in so two more men could work on the cabins . Wade announced that ground work would start on the bedroom for her cabin . Everyone started laughing , she blushed and held her hands over her face . Wade laughed too but said ...The reason is I want this part of the cabin to be a community room where we can eat and such . Plus most of the cooking will be done here with the new cookstove and food supplies kept . We are fast outgrowing this cabin .

Everyone stacked dirty dishes on the porch and picked up . Lucy and her were getting the meal times pretty well organized . Rosa and Lucy washed dishes with the pup and Nate outside on the porch . Wade sat working in his daily logbook while she picked up and simmered dried meat for lunch .

Wade closed and put his book away . Him and her sat and talked , they knew Lucy was staying out of their way so they could be together . Wade said ...Zeke talked to me alone yesterday and he is really happy we are getting married . She smiled and said ...He told me the same thing , we all owe Zeke more than we can repay . Wade said ...Zeke is a steady driving force you don't notice and take for granted . He encourages everyone and is always there . Ed tells me he is going to room with Zeke when the cabins are finished . She said ...That's wonderful ! They will get along great together ! I was wondering where Ed would end up but now it's settled !

Wade asked ...What about Lucy ? Is she going to stay ? She said ...She talks like she will but she hasn't committed to it yet . Wade said ...Well she will have to make a decision before we make the next trip to Eliasville .

They agreed .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Her and Lucy with Rosa had cut material , them showing Rosa how to measure . They would start Wade's new pants today . Rosa was quick to learn and was really trying to learn words in English ! They would try Lucy's dried buffalo and rice for lunch with cornbread and butter . It was a blessing to have a wet cow again .

The chopping , hammering sounds were coming from the new cabins and Juan , John and Simon were leveling the ground behind her cabin . It was practically level already but it had to be perfect . Wade and Zeke wanted to double the size of the cabin . When she first thought that seemed too much but then she thought about how fast things were happening and what might be needed in the future .

Then the black mule brayed .

She dropped her sewing and told Lucy ...Get you shotgun or pick a rifle ..they are all loaded ! Tell Rosa to keep Nate on the floor behind the bed !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

All the men came running from behind the shed . Wade directed ...Don ! Check north behind the cabin and see what's happening ! John and Steve saddle your horses and mine ! Ed you might ought to saddle yours too in case , tie em in the shed . Zeke and Juan stay in the cabin with the women . Simon you and your brothers get your rifles and fort up in the livestock shed .

Wade and Ed were trying to sight anything that was not normal . Finally Ed said ...There ! On the western horizon . Wade had to look a second and saw it . Wade said ...What do you think Ed ? Ed studied it a while and said ...One man on a horse . But there could be more behind we can't see yet . They watched a bit and Wade said to Don ...Get Steve and John , bring mine and Ed's horse . We go to meet them !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke stood to the porch with his 1873 Winchester Looking to the west like Ed and Wade . Wade called to all of them ...Me , Ed , Steve , John and Don are riding out to meet them . Right now it looks like one rider . Be alert all around you . They mounted up and eased up to a gallop to meet a threat before it got to them . Wade knew Zeke , the Garcia's and Women would be capable of holding their own .

Lucy was kneeling by Rosa reassuring her and telling her to stay down .Lucy asked her ...What's happening sweetie ? She said ...They think it's a lone rider coming slow , they go to meet them .

The Rangers got close enough to see it was two men riding double . The horse was limping bad on the nigh front leg . The man sitting in the back was holding the reins and holding the other on slumped over the saddle horn .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke stood to the porch with his 1873 Winchester Looking to the west like Ed and Wade . Wade called to all of them ...Me , Ed , Steve , John and Don are riding out to meet them . Right now it looks like one rider . Be alert all around you . They mounted up and eased up to a gallop to meet a threat before it got to them . Wade knew Zeke , the Garcia's and Women would be capable of holding their own .

Lucy was kneeling by Rosa reassuring her and telling her to stay down .Lucy asked her ...What's happening sweetie ? She said ...They think it's a lone rider coming slow , they go to meet them .

The Rangers got close enough to see it was two men riding double . The horse was limping bad on the nigh front leg . The man sitting in the back was holding the reins and holding the other on slumped over the saddle horn .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

They drew near the men riding double , neither had a hat . The horse was laboring and limping blowing blood out it's nose . The men looked used up . Ed said ...That's Claud Tomlinson in the back ...Rangers ! Ed kicked his horse ! Ed got there first and stepped off his long legged horse grabbing the bridle of the limping horse , Wade and the others dismounted and Wade said ...Help the man off the back first ! Hold the other in the saddle ! Ed and Don helped the back rider slide off and he groaned loud . Wade and Steve were holding the man in the saddle and John helped Steve get him off and lain on the ground . He had a bullet wound in the upper arm and one in the right thigh . He was covered in blood . He was younger than the man in back .

Ed knelt down and said ...What happened Claud ! Where are you hurt !

Claud's face was drawn up and he said ...Broke ribs ! Ed said ...Do you know me Claud ? Claud looked at him through pained eyes and said ...Ed I thought you was dead ! Ed said ...Not yet Claud . Ya'll made it brother ! We are getting you to help . Claud said ...You got any water Ed ? Ed said ...I'm sorry brother but you will have some soon ..I promise you that . Just hang on old friend !

Wade said ...Don ! You and John ride hard and get the cart on the black mule NOW ! Tell the women there are wounded ! Don and John took off at a run !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

It seemed like forever but Don came driving the black mule as fast as the cart would go . They carefully loaded the men in the cart and dove it as fast as they could without hurting them anymore than they were . Don pulled the cart up to the door of the cabin . The Garcia's carried the men in . Wade said ...put Claud in her bed ! Put the other on the table .

Her and Lucy had cleared the table . They were heating water and had white clean sacks laid out . They had two paring knifes , tweezers , scissors , whisky and anything they thought might be needed . Lucy pushed Rosa to Simon and said ...She don't need to see this . Simon took her outside , her carrying Nate . The men started undressing the young Ranger . He had never woke up , it was easy to see he had lost a lot of blood .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Claud was laid in her bed . Ed said ...He needs water ...Now ! She dipped a half glass of water and held it for him while Ed and Juan held him up some . He was hurting . They laid him down and she told him ...Just wait a bit and you can have all the water you want I promise ! He choked out ...Thank you ma'am . As they slowly laid him down .

Claud seemed a little better . Ed asked him ...Who is the young Ranger Claud ? Claud thought and slowly said ...Ray Mc Cain .

Lucy and her were gently cleaning the blood and wounds Ray had . He just lay there . He had bruises on the left side of his face and body . Wade said ...Ed ! I need you ! He went to the table and Ray laid there . Wade said ...What do you think Ed ? Ed examined his wounds and said ...He doesn't have much blood left in him . Run a rag in the holes and pray . We could just be tormenting him trying to save him , you call it Wade . Wade thought hard ! During the war he had seen this so much . Did he make this man suffer more to try and save him or let him die peacefully as he could like it was ?

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Wade thought hard . He never thought he would have to make this decision again . He went to Claud and laid his hand on his shoulder . He asked ...Is Ray married ? Claud said ...Yes . And he has two children .

Wade straightened up and turned saying ...Zeke cut two long switches ! Ed cut the rags ! We will not let him die , we will leave it up to God after we do all we can . Zeke took off for the mesquite tree as Ed cut white bag strips . Wade told everyone ...Pray . Pray for this man now !

And keep praying . He is going to need more help than we can give but our Lord is merciful . Pray !

Wade and Ed told the Garcia's and Don to hold him down . Steve and John watched as Ed started working his finger into the thigh wound .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

It took some time but rags were run through both wounds twice . Ray didn't really struggle against them working on him . He moved and made sounds but was too weak to struggle . He was bandaged and carefully placed on a pallet by the wall . They managed to force some water down by using a spoonful at a time . He would be given water slowly around the clock .

Claud was completely worn out and hurting bad . His broke ribs were really hurting him to breathe . They propped him up some in the bed to relieve the pressure on his side . He drank more water . Wade sat down beside him and laid his hand on Claud's shoulder , he said ...We know your hurting bad Claud but I have to know what happened . You don't have to give the whole story but cut it short and tell me . Take your time brother .

Claud wasn't thinking all that good , it was easy to see that . He was exhausted and hurting and by the look of his horse they had come a good ways . Claud started saying ...Comanche laid up for us . We rode right into em . We was pinned down . They shot Ray's horse . Waited till dark ...rode all last night to here . Wade said ...How far from here Claud ? Claud said ...Maybe twenty..thirty miles west ...don't know .

Wade said ...You rest Claud . Someone will always be with you and Ray . You did an amazing thing getting Ray here Claud . Claud asked for Ed . Ed said ...I'm here Claud ! Claud said ...Ed put my horse down for me . He's used up ...his lungs are stove in . Had to use him hard . Put him down Ed . Ed said ...I will brother ..I will .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Wade motioned Ed outside and said ...I hate to lay this on you Ed . Can you take Don , Steve and John back trail Claud's horse and find out what happened ? The Comanche will be gone but follow their trail a ways to see where they were headed . You need not engage them unless you have to . Get back as quick as you can .

Ed just nodded yes and went to round up Don , Steve and John . Ed told them ...Take a blanket , at least two hundred cartridges and nothing extra . Ed told Juan to take the saddle and bridle off Claud's horse and just put a rope on him .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Lucy and her gathered jerky in a sack and put cornbread cut up in a small lard bucket for the Rangers leaving . They could eat it in the saddle . Lucy took it to the shed and gave it to Ed . She handed him a plug of Brown's Mule and hugged him saying ...You be careful old man ! I'm praying for you and these boys Ed . Ed kissed her head and swung up stopping to take Claud's horse from Juan . Ed lead them west a ways then told them to keep going . He got off his horse and patted Claud's bay on the neck saying ...You did good old son . Don , Steve and John heard the shot and Ed loped up to them .

They went where they found Claud and Ray ...They started back trailing Claud's horse through the tall prairie grass west .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Claud went to sleep after a while just from total exhaustion . Ray was motionless and breathing shallow but his wounds quit bleeding soon after they had bound and bandaged them . They would continue to spoon all the water in him they could , they were both watched constantly .

Her and Lucy took the food out on the porch for lunch . Everyone was being quiet so not to disturb the wounded . Rosa would not put Nate down , she was still scared and wouldn't eat . The Garcia's all said they would take the night shift to relieve the ladies...They insisted ! Everyone was carrying their rifles where they went , the threat was not over .

Wade told them ...This is why we need the bunkhouse and cabins ! We need them right now ! We need to get them up fast as we can and still do a good job . Simon said ...Rosa can stay with us in the shed . She said ...No . Rosa will do better in the cabin , she will adjust . Lucy and me will see she is taken care of , she is not a problem at all . They all talked and planned how to best deal with the new situation . They worked together

Return to “Off-Topic”