Tumbleweeds

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chuck j
Posts in topic: 973

Re: Tumbleweeds

Post by chuck j »

Wade was tired , he sat up and thought of all to do today . He gave up , there was too much ! He would take it as it came ! He dressed and went downstairs . Mrs Staley was making a big breakfast and she put a cup of coffee on the table for him . She said ...Ed is finishing pulling your first order , Simon and Juan are to be here early to finish the loading of the wagon and packs . Ed came in to eat and sat down . He said ...Your initial order is pulled and out back to load ! Wade told him ...When we get to the ranch I will send men back with the wagon and pack horses to haul the Ranger's order I placed . How long will it take to get the cookstove in ? Ed guessed three weeks .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Wade had breakfast with the Staleys . There was pleasant talk and she showed him different material for a dress saying ...I so wish I knew her size ! Several of us ladies could make her a very nice dress ! Wade didn't have any idea which material she would choose and told Mrs Staley ...We will discuss it later ma'am as he grabbed his hat and rode to Lucy's house to be fitted with clothes .

Lucy made him put on some of her dead husband's clothes to alter . They seemed way to big to Wade ! She said it could be done and she would have them ready at four in the evening ...he would come and ride to the meeting house with them . Lucy said ...Dang ! you sure look nervous , can you do this ? Wade tried to calm her and said as he rode off ...Oh Lord ! What have I got into ! He was feeling a lot of pressure !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

They worked all morning . She hauled three loads of trimmings as Ed stayed with her hauling logs to behind the shed . She knew they wouldn't let her get out of their sight . At the third load she told Ed ...Go on back and take the horse and sledge with the mule . I'll start lunch and ya'll can bring back a log and one more load of trimmings .

Ed hesitated to leave her but she said ...I'm just going to be in the cabin cooking . Go on and bring them back for lunch ! Ed still hesitated but gathered the horse and black mule and went to the logging spot . She was getting things out for lunch and heard the pup growl on Nate's pallet . She turned around and Jimmie Mc Call stood in the doorway with another man . He had his Colt Army pointed at her and said ...Well ! You sure are pretty today !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Wade Got back to the store . Simon and Juan his brother with Ed were finishing packing the wagon , it was loaded heavy ! Wade helped and said ...I hope we don't have to unload some on the prairie and have to come back and get it ! The wagon is overloaded . Simon said ...The wagon is solid senor Wade , the wheels are soaked and tires tight and we tarred the hubs . We will make it in one load if we are careful ...I think .

Mrs Staley took Wade aside to speak in private . She said ...I have talked to two of the best ladies in town at sewing . They want to help me make her dress ..I did not tell them anything about who it was for and said it would be a big surprise to them , they are excited ! It is a great chance for a hen party and I will not breath a word of your names ..I swear ! Let us do this please ! If she will not marry I will never tell who the persons were ..I promise! The mystery of this will assure a beautiful dress ! You two MUST be married in Eliasville , will the Pastor travel here ?

Wade didn't know what to say , this could be a huge mess if it didn't work out ! Things were getting more complicated instead of getting solved ! Mrs Staley was begging and unrelenting so he finally gave in . She said... Come in the store with me away from the others , I have to ask you questions since she is not here to be measured and what she would like ! Wade just kept thinking ...This is going to be a disaster ! She is going to end up hating me for shaming her if she will not marry me !

They went in the store and Mrs Staley had her sewing tape out . She said ...How tall is she ? Wade held his hand up gaging her height and Mrs Staley measured it . She said ...What is the width of her shoulders and her hips ? Does she wear jewelry ? What colors does she like ? How long are her good dresses ? How does she wear her hair ? Does she have a petticoat ? The questions went on and on . Wade had never thought about any of this and just knew he was giving bad information . He was so glad when she let him go back out to the horse lot !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She backed up against the work counter . There were knifes laying on the counter and she started talking and reaching behind her back ...Jimmie ! Don't do this Jimmie ! Zeke , Wade , Don and Ed Rawlins will hunt you down and kill you ! Jimmie laughed and said ...You touch one of those knifes and I'll shoot your worthless baby right in front of you then me and Sid will do what we want to with you anyway ! Sid smiled and said ...Yea ! We'll shoot that baby ! Sid started going through her storage boxes by her bed taking her jewelry , her and Hosea's wedding rigs and anything small and of value . The big pup was pressed up against Nate snarling and protecting him .

Jimmie started to her saying ...Step away from that counter or I'll just shoot you in the leg ...NOW ! Sid slid his pistol out and loosely pointed it down at Nate and the pup . She stepped away from the counter with her hands in front of her . Her 1851 Colt was laying on the bed , the spare guns were in the far west corner of the room . She had nothing !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Jimmie said with a smile ...Yea ... Yea ! That's good ! Now throw your belt knife to the far end of the room ! She slowly pulled it out trying to convince herself she could get to him fast enough with it but he had the Colt thumbed back and pointed at her . She would never make it !

She thought to let them do what they would to her and maybe they would spare Nate but Jimmie's eyes were crazy and full of hate . Sid acted the same but was interested in stealing everything he could first . She just didn't have any options ! The men wouldn't be back for a while , they wouldn't expect anything to be wrong . Jimmie and Sid might lay up and even bushwhack all of them . She had to do something !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She drew and pitched her belt knife to the far end of the room still looking for some kind of hope . Jimmie walked slow to her and said ...Now see ? That was easy ! He took a quick step forward and hit her in the side of the head with his pistol . She went down on the floor hard ! She came to and Jimmie was astraddle of her holding her by the hair beating her head on the floor screaming and laughing .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She was unable to think good . His pistol was laying to her left side but she couldn't reach it . Then the pup was there . He leaped and got a full bite on Jimmie's face and was shaking and tearing at him hanging on . Jimmie was screaming and trying to pull him off ! Sid swung his pistol on them but was afraid he would shoot Jimmie !

Ed burst through the door with an 1851 Colt in both hands ! He swung the Colt in his right hand to Sid and fired two rounds into his chest . The pup let go and Ed kicked Jimmie in the head as he reached for his pistol on the floor . It was all a blur to her . Jimmie rolled off her and Ed fired both pistols into Jimmie from three feet away and then fired another two rounds point blank . Ed wheeled around and Sid was trying to kneel and rise , Ed used the pistol in his right hand and put two more balls in his chest !

Ed walked to Sid and kicked him in the face . Satisfied he was dead he did the same to Jimmie . He knelt down and held her head up talking to her , telling her it was over . The pup was back to pushing against Nate protecting him and snarling at Jimmie dead on the floor ! Ed cleared the bed then gently put his arms under her and picked her up placing her on the bed . He got clean sacks to put under her head . He got a bucket of water and clean sacks wiping her face gently and the gash on the side of her head . She was bleeding a lot !

Ed was scared ! A blow to the head could be serious ! He folded a damp sack for her forehead and held pressure on the wound trying to stop the bleeding . He needed Zeke and Don to get back !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Ed grabbed her Henry rifle by the door , went outside and fired fifteen rounds into the air . He set it back and got the sixteen gage shotgun and fired it toward the east downriver hoping Zeke and Don would hear it !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke and Don were halfway back to the cabin when they heard the shots . They both broke into a run ! Coming on the cabin Don's horse with the sledge still hooked on the horn and the black mule were standing in the yard not tied . Something was wrong ! They hollered out and Ed waved them in the cabin door . There was blood everywhere , Jimmie and Sid still lay on the floor . She was in the bed with damp towels on her face with blood pooled up on the sacks Ed had put under her head .

Zeke said demanding ... WHAT HAPPENED ! Ed told him and Zeke was mad at Ed ! He said ...You should have never left her ! Ed said ...I know , I got halfway back to the logging spot and came back . Ed detailed what he saw when he came in and did . Ed told Don ...Get this human trash outta here son , just pull em out in the yard and we will drag em off for coyote food later ! Zeke looked at the two inch gash on the side of her head and said ...It's got to be sewed up Ed . Ed said ...I know .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Wade had lunch at the café with the Staleys . He wanted to spare her the trouble of cooking and do something to show them he apricated all their help and kindness . The supplies were ready , the Garcias were ready and he was ready to get to the cabin on the Brazos . He was tied of town and worried about them at the ranch . He brought supplies and new men to help with defense and work . He had spent two thirds of their money on land and supplies ..it was time to get to work !

At lunch they talked and planned several things , Ed was a blessing for Wade . He agreed to check on several things and ideas for the ranch and the Rangers . Ed said ...Oh ! Wade I meant to tell you ! The Overland Stage is rerouting through Elaisville ! The Café will be a stop every other day on the road to West Texas ! The post will move really fast now , things are changing Wade .

The wedding was at four in the evening giving a chance to cool down a bit . It would be at the meeting house , they were no established churches in Eliasville . Everyone had to deal with their neighbors well enough to worship together , Wade liked that . Wade rode to Lucy's house after lunch to check on them and his new clothes .

When he tied Bud in the shade out front he heard loud talk from the house . He knocked on the door and Lucy came saying … Faye and him are goin at it preacher ! They both got the last second jitters ! They won't listen to me ...YOUR GONNA HAVE TO TALK TO EM !
Wade cringed as they walked in the kitchen where they were arguing . Thinking ..This is one bunch of hard heads . They didn't even shut up when he and Lucy walked in . He listened to their childish ranting for a second and said loudly ...I'll walk out of here ! I will not marry anyone that can't get along any better than you two ! I'll not make you two an example of love and devotion to anyone and you have wasted my time ! I'm leaving !

Faye and Stan looked scared and Faye said ...No preacher don't leave ! We are not mad at one another ! The wedding is planned and people are coming ! Stan said ...Yea preacher we still want to get married !

Wade stood there a few min holding his hat then he jerked a chair out from the table and said … Then you will sit down calmly and convince me that you will love each other unto death ! You will make me know you will commit this union to God and will work through him ! You will make me understand you know your wedding vows are a covenant before GOD . I give you one hour and I leave . Lucy ! You go find something to do outside ! Faye and Stan sat down quick and started talking quietly .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Ed said ...Where is her straight razor Zeke ? Zeke got up to get it while Ed sat a half bucket of clean water on the coals in the fireplace . Don was dragging the bodies out in the yard . Ed got her sewing kit and picked out two needles , he stropped the razor testing it on his arm . Zeke was mopping blood up by the bed with sacks to keep from making an even bigger mess .

Don got the bodies hauled out in the yard and Ed told him ...Don go get me ten or so long tail hairs from your sorrel horse ..get long ones ! Ed got her small scissors . Him and Zeke gently started cleaning her hair with sacks and warm water . They knew she would have a fit later if her hair was full of dried blood and it would be heck to get out . Plus she couldn't wash her hair till the stitches were taken out . Don ran in with the tail hairs and Ed put them in the boiling water in the bucket on the coals .

Ed dipped the scissors and razor in the boiling water and laid them on a clean sack on the bed , he did the same with the two needles . Her face was turned blue and purple now and swollen but her nose was not broken . Zeke and Ed were worried , Don was scared

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Wade sat and listened to Faye and Stan , they were talking hard to get him to stay . He held up his hand to them and said ...I don't matter ! You two are what matters ! Explain why you want to marry the other one . Hear one another , don't try to convince me ! Show one another your love for them . Tell them you will never go to bed angry with them because you will talk it out before . Tell the other they can always depend on you . Tell that you will work together through GOD .

They had to think but Stan spoke first and said ...I love you Faye , I think of you all the time at the ranch . I want us to do good and I'll probably mess up sometime but I'll depend on you to help me . Faye started crying and talking . Wade thought ...Oh praise you Lord !

The wedding was nice ! It being still hot it was held in the shade of the pecan trees by the meeting house . Everyone brought food and ate on the ground sharing with each other . Stan and Faye were the center of attention and a good time was had by all . Wade's clothes fit well and he came away with a nice pair of dress pants and shirt with a vest . He thought to himself ...Heck ! I actually own a preaching outfit !

The Garcia's were all there and Wade met the last two brothers Carlos and Tomas and all their wives . They were all big men and friendly ! Simon came up to Wade with his oldest daughter and said ...Senor Wade this is my oldest daughter , she does not speak much English yet . He looked troubled and said ...I wish to take her with us , she says she will run away to find us if we leave her here . She says GOD wants her to go and me and her mother can not reason with her ! She is twelve years old and very smart , she would be a big help to the Senorita at the ranch . She can cook and work for nothing , my wife is scared to death she will run away onto the prairie looking for us . I hate to burden you with this but we are afraid for her . May I take her ?

Wade sure wasn't expecting this and said … Simon the Comanche are everywhere right now brother . I can't be responsible for taking a child out there , it's dangerous ! Simon said ...I will take the responsibility ...I have no choice . Wade put his hand on her head and asked ...Como te llamas ? She looked up and said ...Rosa !

Wade was between a rock and a hard place ! They were leaving in the morning . With great hesitation he told Simon she could go but she must do all she was told ! Simon assured him she would !

Lucy Burnet had heard them talking and said to Wade ...I heard that ! You bunch of heathen men ain't gonna take that sweet little girl out there by herself ! I'm goin with you ! It ain't decent for her not to have a woman there ! And you can't find a better mule skinner than me , I hauled freight with my husband for years .

Wade was shaking his head . It was getting worse ! He told Lucy ...No Lucy your not going , the crossing will be hard most likely . She said ...Don't tell me what ta do ! I don't care if your a Ranger , preacher or whatever else you think you are ...I'm going ! She spit a stream of snuff juice on the ground and stared at Wade .

Wade gave up and said ...Be at the store come sunup .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke and Ed got her hair clean pretty good . Ed and Don Held her hair out of the way and Zeke started shaving the edges of the big gash trimming the dead skin or what would make proud flesh with the small scissors . Ed had threaded a tail hair on a needle and Zeke carefully sewed it closed . He did a really nice job so not to leave any more of a scar than need be . She never woke up , that was not good . They want her to wake up even though they knew she was going to hurt from the beating . Ed cussed Jimmie and Sid and told them ...Drag their worthless corpses out on the prairie and be done with that evil . Go through their pockets and find their horses , I spect they tied em in the bottom . I'll start cleaning everything in here to get rid of the filth they left behind .

Zeke got a shovel then him and Don drug em to where the other two outlaws were buried to the east . They put em along side them .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She had cut up dried buffalo on the counter . Zeke quick boiled it and made tortilla dough to use for dumplings , the dumplings were sorry compared to hers but they ate them . Don volunteered to get fish off the stringer in the morning and clean them for breakfast . The pup got the rest of the dumplings . Nate was fed and they all held him , it made the pup nervous he wanted Nate put back on the pallet .

Don said ...Have you ever notice she doesn't name anything ? Most women do ! She likes that black mule ..I think she would shoot you if you hurt him , she likes that dry milk cow too . She has had this dog a good while and the chickens but none have names . Zeke looked at Ed and said ...Tell him why Ed , me and you already know . Ed had a hard time starting but said ...Because when you give them a name it's personal then . And she is afraid they will die and leave her . It's the pain son , your afraid of the pain . Zeke said ...Yes !

Zeke said ...I will stay with her tonight . Ed said ...No you will not . This is my fault , I take this on myself . Don said ...No one is to blame and we all take a turn . Zeke looked at Don and said ...Son that's the most responsible thing I ever heard you say . Ed shook his head yes .

They did take turns . They could not wake her to drink and she never moved .

Return to “Off-Topic”