Tumbleweeds

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chuck j
Posts in topic: 973

Re: Tumbleweeds

Post by chuck j »

As they passed the cornfield she told herself that she had to finish chopping weeds there , with no rain would be the last time before gathering . At the cabin she carried Nate in and built a fire , while it burned down to coals to cook on . She unloaded the lambs quarter into a pot and what wouldn't fit she laid on the table .By cooking in the middle of the day she would have to rekindle another fire in the evening to bank coals for morning , she only had 5 Lucifers left so had to save them in case she needed them . She had a good grey flint and striker steel but it took time to get a fire going , easier to bank coals .

She rode the mule out and brought the cow in ..it wasn't far . She watered the mule and lead him back in front of the house under the mesquite tree . She gutted and cut the head and tail off the catfish , cut threw the rib bones on the inside so it would be flat . She took a forked willow stick from beside the hearth and hung the catfish with skin side by the fire . Went out and got the laundry and stacked it against the wall by her bed . Nate needed a new gown so she got her scissors and thread then sat down at the table with a clean flour sack . She cut head and arm holes in the bottom of the sack then hemmed them up while the catfish cooked . Nate would have a brand new gown when he woke up and she would have a 'new' cleaning rag .

She sat to rest and looked at the fire . She looked around her and thought . In a while she closed her eyes and said
Lord I'm sorry , I doubted you . I was scared I couldn't do what is put on me , I remember what you said .. Fear thou not for I am with thee be not dismayed for I am thy God I will strengthen thee yea, I will help thee yea I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
I am in your hand Lord , help and guide me , lead me to do what you would have done . Amen

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She got her big cast iron pot and packed all the lambs quarter she could get in it . Then she added bout four cups of water and hung it on the pot hook in the fireplace . She had to reposition the fish back a bit to slow down the cooking . Heaped the coals more under the pot and when she heard it start boiling she put on the lid for bout five min , took the lid off and added the rest of the lambs quarter . She lessened the amount of coals and let it simmer bout thirty min . She took them both off .

She and Nate had lunch , it was midafternoon . Nate ate like a pig , lol they were eating a little late and he loved the fish and lambs quarter ..it was the first lambs quarter he ever had. She was determined to get the corn chopped so got the mule and put the bridle on the saddle horn . Went back in and got her and Nate a half gallon clean lard bucket full of water ..chopping was going to be hot but Nate would be fine in the shade under his chaparral bush with this light breeze .

Getting there she put Nate and the water under the bush then leaned the rifle up against the chaparral and tied the mule to the other side . She picked up her hoe she left leaned against the bush and started chopping . It was bout twenty min later as bent over chopping she glanced at Nate and the mule . The mule had swung around with his ears straight forward staring at the river bottom . She turned and put her hand over her eyes , there was a man leading four horses out of the bottom and looked like the last one was limping . She dropped the hoe and ran to Nate , tied the ends of the shawl and swung him over her head and left shoulder . Untied the mule and leaned the rifle up against his left shoulder , mounted reached down grabbed the rifle and kicked the mule . He jumped , she never made him go fast but she kicked him again and he broke into a lope .

She pulled him up at the pen . Jerked the girt and dropped the saddle on the ground , opened the gate , took his bridle off and slapped him on the rump to go in . She ran to the house with Nate and the rifle and bolted the door. She put Nate on his pallet , unbolted the rifle port in front of the cabin cracked it open and looked out . The man was still coming very slow . She bolted the port and looked around ..she was trying to think . They had food for a while if they had to fort up but not much water , she ran to the well and drew up two buckets then ran as fast she could to keep from spilling it . She bolted the door and was trying to think of everything Hosea had told her . She unbolted the rifle port again and barely cracked it . He was still coming ..it was a black man !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

He wore a tan felt wide brimmed slouch hat , he had a short full beard . She guessed he was six feet tall , had on a leather hunting shirt and butternut britches like the confederate soldiers wore with pull on work boots .
She watched through the cracked gun port trying to remember all Hosea had said . The ports were tall enough to stand and shoot but Hosea said it was much better to kneel and rest the rifle on the sill to steady it and you gave a smaller target of yourself . She was scared as she watched him slowly get closer . The horse in the rear was a piebald and favoring his right front leg holding it up and hoping as he walked . She was shaking and scared , she waited till he got about thirty feet from the porch and threw the port open and laid the rifle on the sill .

She said in as steady and forceful voice . STOP ! I'll gut shoot you quick ! Turn around and get ! There was silence .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

He stood there then looked down to the ground as he took off his hat and held it with both hands in front of him . He said ...My name is Ezekiel , my mother called me Zeke . In Hebrew the name Zeke means ..he strengthens .

I am not here to harm you or anyone ma'am . I guess you might say I'm a wandering trader but right now I have trouble ma'am . I been travlin up river and yesterday my old horse Pie stepped in a hole and we both went down . I kicked out of the stirrups quick enough I didn't get rolled on but he is hurt ma'am . I had to help him up this morning and took us seven hours to get two miles to here . I saw your place from the bottom and knew GOD provided help for us .

All we need is water and maybe let Pie stay in you shed a spell while I try to fix him up . I think highly of him but if you are determined to turn us away let me leave him and you take him out on the prairie and put him down . Without your help I can't help him . I don't even have a gun to put him down .

GOD has put you in my path . Please help us ma'am .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

The man stood with his head down , his lips were moving but there was no sound . She looked down at Nate on his pallet by her left side as she knelt there . She lifted her eyes to the man again who waited for her reply . She laid her forehead on the rifle stock and closed her eyes .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She slammed the bolt open on the cabin door . She kicked the door wide open as she strode out . Zeke lifted his head , she walked straight toward him looking at his face . She held the rifle across and close to her body with both hands , Zeke lifted his hat a bit . She stopped eight feet from him and slowly looked at him from his head to his boots and back up again .

She stood there , five feet and four inches , her long brown hair was in disarray . Her bonnet hung loose on the back of her worn patched dress . Her face was frozen as she clutched the rifle close and she spoke .

Welcome . I will help you . You can use the shed for your horse and yourself . There is hay for your stock and bedding . The well is yonder , take all the water you need . If you need food I will share what I have . I will help you doctor your horse . You are not to harm or hurt what is mine . She looked him in the eyes .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke was turning his hat in his hands . He said ..Ma'am I want to work for my keep ma'am . You was choppin that cornfield when I come up . I was born choppin weeds ma'am I'd be beholden if you would let me do round here . Maybe I can help you too , it's the way it oughta be ma'am , GOD wants us to help each other .. Thank you ma'am .

She said ...We will see , get settled in and we will see what we can do with your horses leg .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke walked his pack string slowly for the shed and she turned and walked into the cabin . She poured up a little less than a gallon of water in a metal bucket and sat it inside the fireplace by the coals . She stacked a few chunks of oak on the coals to start them slowly burning .

She got her half sack of mustard seed and measured a third cup full . She poured it in a crock quart jar and took a wooden spoon using the flat handle end to start breaking and grinding the seed to powder . That done she measured a cup of flour , it was last years flour and had weevils so she sifted it then threw the weevils in the fire . She did not use the flour for eating but it would work fine for what she was making , she sure missed not having good flour for bread and cooking .

She mixed the flour and ground mustard seed in a bowl and set it aside . She laid out a clean flour sack on the table and counted out six more . She walked to the stock pen , Zeke had picked up her saddle and blanket and set it on the split rail fence with the bridle hanging on the horn . As she saddled the mule Zeke stepped to the opening of the shed and asked if he could help . She said no and that she would be back quick .

She lead the mule to the cabin and got Nate , the rifle and a flour sack . She started for the river , Nate had been asleep but was happy to get active ..he was making sounds . They reached the spot were she did laundry , she dismounted with Nate and the rifle and walked to where they had tied their catfish .

She took the big one , they walked back to the mule then rode to the cornfield . She pulled twelve big ears of green corn and put them in her sack . She rode back to the cabin , took Nate and the corn inside and laid the catfish on the porch . She walked the mule to the pen and unsaddled him , Zeke had filled the water trough and his three pack horses were staked not far off . She walked back to the cabin and turned her plums before going in . The water in the fireplace was getting hot , She put six ears of the corn in the bucket to soak it a bit in the hot water . She went out to the porch , gutted and cut off the head and tail of the catfish , cut through the rib bone like the other and trimmed it down . It was a big fish , there would be a lot of waste because it was too warm to save it till tomorrow so she just trimmed it to the best part . She scattered the oak chunks that were turning into coals and hung the fish with the forked stick .

She took the corn out of the hot water and shook it off and laying it on the cooler coals in the shuck. She got her flour and ground mustard seed mix and added water , stirring it good to a thin paste . She took a flour sack and wet it then squeezed it out till it wasn't dripping . She folded it long wise twice and started covering one side with the flour mustard mixture rubbing it in the cloth good . When she was through she folded it over one more time .

She got the extra flour sacks , the bucket of hot water and the poultice she had made and walked to the shed .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke was leading in two of his pack horses from grazing . She stopped at the gate to the shed till he got there and she told him . You can put one of your horses in the pen with mine every day so there will not be any fighting as they get use to one another . Tie the others up to the fence outside the pen . I'll not have my mule and cow kicked up , they will get use to one another pretty quick . Zeke said ..Yes ma'am that's a good idea . He tied up a big sorrel outside of the pen to the fence and put a black horse in with the black mule and cow .

She said ..I got towels and hot water to wrap the knee on your horse and made a mustard poultice . I'll help you , lets wrap his leg with hot towels first then I'll help you bind the poultice on . They went in the shed and she looked at the leg , she said ...That knee is swoll up bad and it's swoll up to his shoulder ..it don't look good but it's not broke . Lets bind hot towels on it , she dropped the towels and went to a spool of cord cutting off about five foot of cord . They wrapped hot towels from the knee to the shoulder and bound them . He said ..the knee is twisted bad ma'am , I'm sure thankful for your help .
She said ..if it helps it will take a while before he can be ridden . I have to check food cooking , keep dabbing hot water on those towels till you run out ..I'll be back directly ...

She went to turn the corn and set the fish back while she checked Nate .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She put two plates on the table and cleared her sewing and other mess off the table putting it all where it belonged . Nate had his new flour sack gown on and was making a lot of sounds that made her laugh . She thought and took the rifle from by the door and laid it on the other side of the bed made of dried cattail out of sight . She still did not know this man .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She pulled the corn out of the hot ash , brushed em off with her hand and set them on the hearth close to the coals to keep them warm . She took the catfish and plated it and set the pot of lambs quarters on the table ..it was plenty hot . She set the small salt bowl on the table and dipped out two glasses of water from their drinking water bucket . Hosea had made their table of cedar because it was pretty wood , there was a cedar bench on both sides .Zeke would be the first besides them to eat at their table .

She stepped out on the porch and saw Zeke trying the pen gate , he had hayed the stock and coming to the cabin .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She hollered and waved for him to come on . He hollered back he had to wash his hands . She went back in and put all the food on the table . She sat down to wait and in a few min he knocked on the door frame . She told him to come on in .

He stepped in and took his hat off , looked at her and the table . He said ...Oh lardy look at that ! Ma'am that is a feast ! You don't know how special it is for me to have a sit down meal in such a nice home as this ! I eat jerky on horseback or just make do with a dry camp and move on ...I thank you for having me .

About that time Nate made a sound and waved his arms . Zeke turned around to his right and saw Nate on his pallet . He said ..Ma'am you have a baby !! You have a baby ! Lord have mercy ! He took two steps to Nate's pallet and stood holding his hat looking at Nate laughing . He asked ...Ma'am what is your baby's name ! She answered ...His given name is Nathanial and we call him Nate .

He is beautiful ma'am ! I have not seen a baby in a long time ...can I touch him ? She said ....Of course , You may hold him if you want . He has never seen anyone except me and his father . Zeke said ...Oh Lord ! I'm the first to see and touch him besides his parents . Ma'am this is a special day for me , Could you pick him up and hand him to me ? She got up and picked up Nate handing him to Zeke , Zeke just looked at him holding him in his arms as Nate waved his arms staring at Zeke . In a bit Zeke said to him ..Nathanael answered and said to Him, Rabbi, You are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!

Ma'am this is a special baby and he will make you proud ! She thanked him and said ..Lets eat . She sat down and took a piece of fish and gave Zeke what was left . He said ..That's way more than I can eat ma'am . She said ...I figured as much but eat what you want , I don't save fish till the next day in warm weather because it's not worth risking getting sick . He agreed . She said we have lambs quarter and green corn , I'm sorry I have no butter but we still have salt . They sat and ate , she fed Nate off her plate chopping his fine .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

They sat and ate , Zeke ate a lot . When they finished she rocked Nate till he went to sleep then put him on his pallet . Zeke kept going on about the baby like it was amazing to find Nate here . She asked...Do you have any children ? Zeke said ...No ma'am ! Chose not to . If I had a son or daughter they would have been a slave and property of someone when they were born . I didn't think it right to do that to my children . I never married ma'am .

I was owned by a good family , they treated us right . We had good clothes and good food . They gave bible service on Sunday and taught us that would to read which was against the law . We had nice cabins and what we needed . As a child I played with their children , They loved us and took care of us . I spent nearly my whole life on that farm only leaving a few times . We knew that other farms blacks didn't have it like we did .

On our farm we grew food ...no cotton . Grain , berries , vegetables , pecans and fruit . Laughing he said... yes ma'am ..we ate well ! The war came and we were hard put , all our food went to the army and the family that owed us worked hard in the fields with us even though the Confederate government could not pay .
At the end of the war they were behind in their taxes . The army and Federal people were taking land and farms then selling them to friends and for profit to punish those that supported the south . We had martial law , the union army was in control and it was terrible . The family that owned us lost everything . They told us they couldn't help us and left with what they could carry .

Our farm was just outside Atlanta , the Yankee's had shelled the city and many town folk died . No one knew what to do ma'am . The black folks hung around the union army camps thinking they would take care of them . But the camps kept pickets out to keep them run off . A rumor went around that all black men would get forty acres and a mule . I left there walking west to Louisiana , I was told it wasn't so bad there but it was a mess there too . I worked for a man there for three months for ol Pie and a wore out saddle . Then I went to Texas !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

I got to East Texas , there was a good amount of people there . I learned to stay away from cities , The white folks were mad that the state government was took over and being black was a not good in the cities . I drifted around doing labor and saved my money and went to Mexico . I bought things to trade or sell out where there wernt all the hate there was in towns . I bought more horses to carry more . That's why I came here ma'am because it's not too settled but I didn't know there were so few folks ! I was a slave for fifty one years and have enjoyed doing what I want and traveling around to see so many things . Today was one of those times ma'am , you threatened to kill me this morning but I had supper with you and your beautiful baby this evening . GOD is amazing ma'am .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Now ma'am I don't want you to take offense and please don't think I'm telling you what to do or getting in your business . But I have looked around and there is much to do here , you have a beautiful place here . I have seen few places like it but there is much needs be done ma'am and since I'll be here a while I want to repay part of the kindness you have shown me . I know how to work a farm , let me help you and Nate . I'm use to working and would thank you , I can't just sit around ma'am ...I would go crazy .

She sat and thought . In a while she said ...Yes you may help but I'll not expect it , we can work together and I will not ask you to do anything I would not do myself .
In the morning you could water and stake out the stock and milk the cow . I will make breakfast and fix up a big batch of poultice mix and get hot water ready to wrap Pie's leg . I'll turn the plums and draw water for the day . Then we will finish chopping the corn and go from there .

Zeke just said ....Yes ma'am !

Return to “Off-Topic”