Tumbleweeds

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chuck j
Posts in topic: 973

Re: Tumbleweeds

Post by chuck j »

Sam got through giving his report except for more paperwork before they left for home . Sam also said ...Captain I told them I would accept a commission , I hope I get it . Captain Jack and Wade congratulated him on his decision ! Captain Jack said ...You will have it ! I will make sure you have it ! The Rangers are running out of experienced men like you Sam and you owe it to your family to take it . Wade and the Captain were glad he would be able to be home more and not have to live on horseback .

They celebrated with Wade and Captain Jack buying his supper at Granny Ruth's , they all had enchiladas , beans and rice . They talked of tomorrow and the courthouse , Captain Jack had a lot of recommendations and assured Wade he would be there to witness and help . Wade told about talking to John about the windmills . He said ...I nearly bought a couple but I have to talk to her and Zeke first .

Captain Jack said ...While we are talking about her ...When do you plan on starting to court her ? Wade choked on a mouthful of beans and said ...Who said I was courting her ? Captain Jacks eyes got narrow as he looked Wade in the face and said … What the heck is wrong with you son ! She is smart , she works hard , a good cook , she is a GODly woman , she is faithful , merciful , she fights outlaws and Comanche , she is a good mother ...what the heck are you wanting she ain't got ? Sam said ...She is the prettiest woman in North Texas ! Your going to mess around and someone will take her in a heartbeat !

Wade said ...What about Zeke ? Captain Jack said ...So ! What about Zeke ! He has already been treating you like a son , you must be blind Wade ! Zeke would love for you two to get married . Sam said ...Yep , don't be stupid Wade , your not going to even get a chance with another woman like her ! We want ya'll to get married !

Wade was confused , he never thought they would bring this up ! He always thought she was too good a person for the likes of him . He had been nothing but a failure .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

They kept working with the buffalo meat , the racks were full by noon . They put the cut up strips in buckets wrapped in wet sacks .They were trying to cool it the best they could . Don asked about the hides and Ed said they might keep them for repair material but they didn't have time to work them into robes , it took a lot of work .

They stopped when the hump roast was done and had some for lunch . It was tender and they agreed it was good ! They just kept taking care of the meat . The coals would have to be tended all night into tomorrow .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She had put two tongues on to boil in salt water and made a pot of beans using the old dried venison . They could have all the fresh meat they wanted to eat for a few days . Her and Hosea had gotten here in early spring before last . She remembered their first summer here and she thought they would die from the heat . They had to get the cornfield plowed and planted first to have corn for themselves and the livestock . Spring here was nice , they enjoyed building the livestock shed and pen . They lived in the shed until the cabin was finished .

But summer came and the intolerable heat , they were not use to it . It sapped the strength out of you . Hosea made her rest but he never stopped working . They would go to the river in the heat of the day at times , it was always nice on the river in the shade of the trees . She dreaded living in this place though it was so beautiful because of the terrible heat . This was her second summer here and she had not suffered . She adjusted her activities to the time of day and it felt normal though still hot . She looked forward to them all going to the river when the meat was finished and put away .

She wanted to take a shift tonight keeping the fires going but she knew the men would not let her . They always tried to protect her and Nate . She still worried for Wade making the trip home ...this WAS his home now . He always did more than his share , Zeke never had to tell him to do anything . It felt wrong that he was gone , Zeke and her already depended on him .

She would talk to GOD before she slept to bring Wade home safe . He was most likely in Fort Graham by now if the cattle hadn't slowed them down too much . It was dangerous to be separated without the others and she feared for him on his way home .

Tonight she would come out in the yard a few times to keep whoever was tending the drying and help them pass time .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

They rode back to the Ranger headquarters and got their beds ready . Steve and John the two young Rangers were playing cards on an old beat up table by the door . They introduced themselves to Captain Jack and Sam , they were excited to meet men as famous as them . They asked to be told the story of the fight at the river . Captain Jack humored them and told the story . When he got to the point Wade rode across the river in a hail of gunfire they reevaluated Wade staring at him . Wade saved us by crossing the river he told at the end . If he hadn't they would have gotten one or two behind us and had us in a crossfire .

They talked a bit outside when it was near sundown . Sam said ...I bet they are watching the sun go down at the ranch just like always . Wade missed Her , Zeke , Ed and Don because they were home to him . He knew why Captain Jack and Sam wanted to get to their families as fast as possible . He thought how happy she would be to have the supplies and new things . He thought about what Captain Jack and Sam had said about courting her . It scared the heck out of him , what they had now was comfortable .

They turned in after bathing and he laid awake thinking about it .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

They all enjoyed supper , the meat was all cut and just the drying remained to be finished . The buffalo tongue was tender and good , she had made mustard sauce and the beans to go with it . Zeke and Ed had taken turns watching the coals all night , the amount of dried meat put in doubled flour sacks was growing . Having this much meat to fall back on was an amazing thing ! This winter the meals would be limited in variety and no fresh greens available . The meat was a back up when the ice storms came and the wind howled making it impossible to hunt . GOD had provided .

She had high hopes for her garden , she would plant many vegetables that would keep a good while into the winter and they could dry them too . The firewood to be cut from the log trimming was really piled up at the cabin and more on the ground where they had been felling trees . It was August and the work done now would make it easier when the bad weather came . There was still much to do .

She had slept in her clothes last night . She had came out and spent time with Ed and Zeke as they tended the coals . They both tried to make her go back to bed but at least she had made part of their watch more passable by just talking to them . Ed and Zeke both had said they were concerned that Wade would be alone coming back . But at the same time they knew how resourceful he was and that whoever would try to harm him certainly put their own life in jeopardy ! Ed and Zeke both had asked her last night ...When are you going to tell Wade you are interested in him ? They both asked that ! She had been dumbfounded and not given an answer ! Wade had never shown an interest in her beyond being a friend and protecting her and Nate just like the rest . It made her think in the back of her mind .

They would let her tend the coals come daylight and she would let Zeke and Ed sleep in the morning before the heat got bad . Don could tend the stock and chores . She had much to do .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Wade , the Captain and Sam woke at daylight . They slept late because there was no need to get up , there was not even coffee ! They dressed in clean clothes . They were among other people now and wanted to fit in , living on the Ranch was a different thing than being in a town . Sam had a lot of paperwork to do and Wade with Captain Jack were going to the courthouse .

They took care of their horses and rode to Granny Ruth's for breakfast . Granny Ruth's was a small place , she cooked at one end of the room and just hollered out to you what was on the menu at the time . She seemed like a pretty salty old woman and had a shotgun on the wall near where she did the cooking . Of coarse her customers were almost all men than couldn't or wouldn't do for themselves as far as cooking . Wade liked her .

She hollered out the menu when they sat down and she had bacon , steak or sausage with fried potatoes and eggs ! they all ordered steak . Captain Jack said quietly ...I never eat sausage in an eating place unless I know what it's made of ! Sam and Wade agreed and laughed .

Granny brought them a plate with pan fried steak , two eggs and covered with fried potatoes , she gave you plenty to eat .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

The food was good ! Granny called out and asked if they wanted more fried potatoes ! Sam walked over where she was cooking and got another helping . Sam was really looking a lot better and his wound was practically healed . Captain Jack had already told Wade in private that he would see Sam home before he rode home himself . He wouldn't tell Sam till later because he would pitch a fit and insist the Captain go on to his family . Captain Jack said ...Don't worry about Sam ..I'll see he gets home .

They were through eating and just drinking coffee waiting to make sure the courthouse was open . Granny came to get her money for breakfast and they all paid her . Wade said ...Thank you for feeding us ma'am . The food is really good , we are traveling and you are a blessing to us ! Your doing a work feeding all these helpless men here .

She stared at him a bit and asked ...Are you a preacher ? Wade said ...Yes ma'am , I am . She said ...I don't trust preachers ! Wade said ...I certainly understand that , I don't trust a lot of preachers myself ! Granny laughed like heck ! She got quiet and said ...Yesterday waiting tables I heard ya'll talkin ! You best get back to that woman these other two were talkin about and marry her if your not a fool !

Wade nearly broke an ran . Even Granny was for him marrying her ! Wade said ...I got to tend my horse ! Granny said ...Your runnin ! Fools run .

Wade left as Sam with Captain Jack were agreeing with her .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She fried some hump slices with gravy and biscuits for breakfast . Nate only had two cans of milk left ..that worried her . They all came in and ate , Don would tend the drying racks while they caught up on sleep . She cleaned all the butchering mess , washed buckets , dishes . Got on her knees and scrubbed the blood and mess created by the meat .

She put on another hump for a pot roast , she would make gravy with it and there were beans left over in a lard bucket for lunch . She helped Don pull , turn . replace and bag meat . She tended the coals while he cut firewood for coals . Time went by quickly . It struck her like a bolt of lightning !

She was in one of her destructive work moods ! It was happening but she realized it ! She sat on the porch watching the racks beside the cabin and it came to her . She was working and trying not to think about having an interest in Wade as Zeke and Ed asked about ! She actually caught herself trying to push something back in her mind with the work ! She had to share this with Zeke , they both might understand better .

But in the realization she was forced to deal with the problem instead of escaping from it . She considered Wade , he was a hard worker , calm natured , friendly , smart , patient , he loved Nate . He was a preacher , he loved GOD , he was a tall strong good looking man . He was devoted to those he cared for and loved , he was completely fearless in a fight . Her list went on and on and the only negative thing against him was his recklessness in a deadly situation for those he cared for . But was that a good thing or bad ?

But did he care for her in that way ? Hosea had not been gone long , was it right to be thinking of remarrying this soon ? There were hard questions , pus he would be Nate's father . She thought a lot about it and there were no guarantees that anyone she might marry would be perfect but he seemed awfully close .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Wade and Captain Jack went to the courthouse , they were just opened up . Captain Jack said ...We are early so maybe we can get the business finished quicker ! They went upstairs to the county clerks office and explained everything that needed be done .

It was shortly after noon when they completed the land purchase , the registering of the ranch and partnership , the giving Captain Jack their power of attorney in all things and several odds and ends . It was done ! The Black Mule Ranch was real and legal !

Wade and Captain Jack were happy ! Wade said ...Lets go see if Sam has eaten and if not we will go somewhere and celebrate ! I'm buying ! They found Sam in the bunkhouse and he was through with reporting and paperwork . He had done everything to get a commission . Now it had to be confirmed but Captain Jack said ...I will see it confirmed !

He told Sam ...Your willingness to be in the field is admirable but the Rangers need leaders . Us old Rangers are disappearing that have experience . There is NO one that would not follow you Sam ...You deserve this brother !

They rode to Granny Ruth's place . Wade tried to get them to try a new place and they just smiled at him .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke and Ed woke up and were getting dressed again . They talked about breakfast and how good the hump slices with biscuits and gravy were ! Ed said ...Did you talk to her about Wade ? Zeke said ...Yep ! Asked her straight up when she was going to tell him she had more interest in him than just being a friend . Then she went speechless ! But I kept talking . Ed said ...Yea , I did the same and she had the same reaction ! She just clammed up .

Zeke said ...Wonder if Sam and Captain Jack have went to work on Wade ? Ed said ...Most likely so ...We all want them to get together ! They were made for one another but need a shove . Zeke said ...She would have a husband ! He would have a family . Nate would have a father ! I would have a son ! Ed ...you are family ...You know that don't you brother ? Ed said ...Zeke I'm trying to fit in ..it's hard ! Zeke thought and said ...All children are suppose to have TWO grandfathers ! You can be the other ! Me and you will share Nate ! I know you like talking to him and teaching him to hunt . Ed thought and said ...Thank you Zeke . Thank you !

Zeke said ...Now we got to gently keep making her think . For as smart as those two are they can't figure out they are meant for each other when it's so obvious to everyone else !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Wade , Sam and Captain Jack Were sitting at Granny Ruth's waiting for their food . The place was packed with men and they had to wait a while . They didn't know it but today was the day of the week Granny served fried chicken , mashed potatoes and gravy and fried okra . There were men waiting outside for a table . She had two women out back killing and dressing chickens and helping wait on people . Granny was steady cooking with four big frying pans going .

One of the young women brought their food and she looked at Wade saying ...Granny is too busy to tell you herself but to quit being a fool and listen to your friends and your going to regret it if you don't . Sam and the Captain just stared at wade and said ...You have a limited time to court her ! When she gets to a town there will be men lined up looking for a woman like her . You got her all to yourself right now Wade but that's going to change fast ! Sam said ...Every man in this place would be staring at her if she was here . If you blow this I'm going to agree with Granny you are a fool . GOD has brought you two together !

Wade was silent and doing a lot of thinking .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke and Ed went to the cabin , lunch wasn't quite ready so Zeke relived Don working with the meat . Ed and Don went to bring the stock in to the shade of the pen . She sat on the porch telling Zeke about her figuring out she had nearly started working crazy again and the cause . They talked .

Zeke told her to face up to the reason . He said ...There is no reason you and Wade would not work out ! I would never encourage you if I didn't see that the Lord has put him here . Ya'll would make one heck of a couple and everyone sees that . Being he is who he is some woman will surely lay claim on him soon ! She said ...It's a scary thing for me Zeke , it would be for life and I have to consider Nate . Zeke said ...It's never going to be different with another man . You know Wade , you have been around him ! When he crossed the river in the big fight he did that for you and Nate . He was worried to death about you and Sam knew it was the reason he sent him back here so quick . He watches you and Nate , he does things you don't see . He keeps the path clear for you . Don't let your fear of your future hold you back , put it in GOD's hands .

She said ...I will think .

They enjoyed the pot roast and beans for lunch . Ed took over the racks , Zeke and Don went to make boards . She thought as she cleaned .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

They had ridden back to the Headquarters and sitting under the trees by the horse pens when the young Ranger Steve came out of the back door of the offices . He walked straight to them in the shade and said … Wade ! Captain Tom wants to speak with you right now if you can .

Wade asked Sam and Captain Jack ...What would he want to speak to me about ? Captain Jack and Sam smiled , Sam said ...You hear him out ! The Captain and me put this in his head , do not tell him no ! Wade was mystified by Sam's answer and went to Tom's office . Tom shook hands with him , shut the door and told him to sit down . Wade couldn't imagine what was going on .

Tom started out saying … Captain Coffee and Sam Wallace can not speak highly enough of you sir ! I know them to be totally honest and credible . I am going to make you an offer no man has ever been given by the Texas Rangers in it's history ! I had to get approval from the highest Ranger authority in Austin by telegraph . This will only be offered one time .

The Rangers are stretched beyond limits on the frontier , we are keeping men in the saddle for months at a time . That is why Captain Coffee volunteered to come back . We are stretched thin , the Comanche are tearing West and North Texas up ! The Mexicans are stealing cattle along the Rio Grande from north to south again like during the war . The old Rangers are fading out and there is a severe lack of leadership in the field sir .

I am authorized to offer you a commission at the rank of Captain in the Texas Rangers . Your military experience and by actual account of Sam and Jack Coffee of your actions during engagement in the field . Your personality , your leadership capability under fire and stressful situations are impressive enough to warrant this offer .

You would not be expected to go afield , you have a ranch centrally located in North Texas to be a rest station and for you to give orders to the Rangers assigned for whatever reason in that area . You are NOT expected to do missions as are the Rangers you direct . We need a field Captain in that area badly . We are losing men there , settlers are being killed . You will receive full Captains pay and benefits and can save lives . Are you interested ?

Wade was totally unprepared for this ! He said ...Can I think on this for two hours sir , the offer comes as a complete surprise to me . I have to consider my family and ranch in this . I take the offer seriously and must think on it . Tom said ...Certainly ! I hope you accept , I know Sam and Jack want you with us badly . You have two there that have complete faith in you sir .

Wade went back to the shade trees and said ...What in the world have you gotten me into !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

They talked hard . Captain Jack said ...Take the commission Wade . You served Texas during the war ! You have the knowledge and experience . Texas needs you again , people are dying and you could make a difference . Sam and I would have never got this approved if we didn't believe in you .

They talked about his expected duties , how it would affect the ranch and their lives . Sam said ...Rangers will be coming and going , there is a lot of protection given to the ranch by that .

In two hours Wade went back in with Sam and Captain Jack , they sat in the lobby as he talked to Tom and accepted the commission . Tom called Sam and the Captain in his office to witness Wade being sworn in and giving the oath .

Tom laid a Ranger badge on his desk and stood up , Wade rose also . Tom said repeat after me ;

I Wade Mclellan do Solemnly Swear that
I will bear true allegiance to the State of
Texas, and that I will serve her honestly
and faithfully against all her enemies or
opposers whatsoever, and observe & obey the
orders of the Governor of the State, and the
orders of the officers appointed over me accor-
ding to an Act of the Legislature .

Captain Tom Handed him his badge and Wade pinned it on . Tom said ...You must write and sign the oath with your own hand , sign and date it for your file in Austin . He shook Wade's hand and said ...Welcome to the Texas Rangers Wade !

Sam and Captain Jack shook his hand . Wade was wondering what she would think about all this .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She coiled a long tender eye out of a loin in her big pot to roast on the fire . She made mustard sauce and rice with black pepper , sage and chili powder in it . She used the last of the tea but had no sugar for it . She would be so glad when Wade got back ! besides the supplies she discovered how much she missed him . She had thought on all he had done since he arrived here . He provided so much strength for everyone ! Zeke and Ed had made her think .

Almost all the meat was dried , she would cut up what was left fresh in the buckets so to not waste it . She would not use any of it for fresh meat after this meal . It was not worth making them all sick . Ed was tending the racks and she took him a glass of cool water while supper cooked . She figured all the meat would be dried sometime tonight and they would have a lot ! Ed and her sat on a bench while he drank his water and talked .

Ed asked ...Have you considered Wade ? She said ...Heavens yes ! It is about all I have thought about ! I find the thought of me and him easier to imagine now . But what of Wade ? Does he have an interest in me ..It scares me that I am thinking of him in a new way and he would think me a fool ! Ed smiled and said ...If Captain Jack and Sam did their job he has been MADE to think of you in a new way . He held out his hand to her which he had never done and said ...We all see you getting married as a right thing . You compliment each other and the strength of you two together is amazing to think about ! She took his hand and put her arm around him saying ...I depend on you so much already Ed . Ed held her and watched the racks as he drank his water .

Return to “Off-Topic”