Times have sure changed

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Times have sure changed

Post by WTR »

When I was at A & M in the early to mid 70s, Axis deer were considered a nuicense animal with no limit and no season. My Niece was just quoted $ 1,200.00 for an Axis tag.Money, Money, Money.

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Times have sure changed

Post by flechero »

Used to have farmers lined up, begging us to hunt pigs on their places... not can't even get on the property for less than a C-note, plus "trophy" fees!

apostate

Post by apostate »

Just say no.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

I posted a bit of a rant about hunting licenses and fees and everything... it really is getting ridiculous. It's not just about conservation or funding the Texas Parts and Wildlife... If that was the case, (what I thought they should do) is tax EVERYONE who works and pays taxes a small tax that funds them... Then you can eliminate the whole licensing fees and al that other garbage. Of course there would still be tags and bag limits and seasons. I just think its ridiculous that only people who want to hunt has to pay the fees when its EVERYONES responsibility to preserve out states wildlife and parks... Im sure some would disagree with me but I guarantee you Joe Schmo who goes camping and decides to leave his hotdog packaging on the ground doesnt pay a dime to the people who have to clean up the mess he leaves behind... I feel like everyone who lives here should be responsible not just hunters and fishers.
NRA Member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

Grundy1133 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:02 pm I posted a bit of a rant about hunting licenses and fees and everything... it really is getting ridiculous. It's not just about conservation or funding the Texas Parts and Wildlife... If that was the case, (what I thought they should do) is tax EVERYONE who works and pays taxes a small tax that funds them... Then you can eliminate the whole licensing fees and al that other garbage. Of course there would still be tags and bag limits and seasons. I just think its ridiculous that only people who want to hunt has to pay the fees when its EVERYONES responsibility to preserve out states wildlife and parks... Im sure some would disagree with me but I guarantee you Joe Schmo who goes camping and decides to leave his hotdog packaging on the ground doesnt pay a dime to the people who have to clean up the mess he leaves behind... I feel like everyone who lives here should be responsible not just hunters and fishers.
It's not just license, park entrance fees. Every firearm, box of ammo archery equipment, fishing equipment has an11% excise tax built into the purchase price per the Pittman-Robertson Act and its companion Dingell-Johnson act passed many years later. BTW the Robertson in the legislation name is Evangelist Pat Roberston's father Absalom Roberston. Those funds are mandated to be used to acquire habitat, develop and improve it and support wildlife restoration that EVERYONE uses and enjoys; not just sportsmen/women. Next time an anti spouts ask them why they don't lobby to pay an extra 11% on everything they buy for their hobby and interest.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

WTR wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:22 pm When I was at A & M in the early to mid 70s, Axis deer were considered a nuicense animal with no limit and no season. My Niece was just quoted $ 1,200.00 for an Axis tag.Money, Money, Money.
Must be New Mexico. That's not the case in Texas.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdo ... er-species
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

equin

Post by equin »

puma guy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:34 pm
Grundy1133 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:02 pm I posted a bit of a rant about hunting licenses and fees and everything... it really is getting ridiculous. It's not just about conservation or funding the Texas Parts and Wildlife... If that was the case, (what I thought they should do) is tax EVERYONE who works and pays taxes a small tax that funds them... Then you can eliminate the whole licensing fees and al that other garbage. Of course there would still be tags and bag limits and seasons. I just think its ridiculous that only people who want to hunt has to pay the fees when its EVERYONES responsibility to preserve out states wildlife and parks... Im sure some would disagree with me but I guarantee you Joe Schmo who goes camping and decides to leave his hotdog packaging on the ground doesnt pay a dime to the people who have to clean up the mess he leaves behind... I feel like everyone who lives here should be responsible not just hunters and fishers.
It's not just license, park entrance fees. Every firearm, box of ammo archery equipment, fishing equipment has an11% excise tax built into the purchase price per the Pittman-Robertson Act and its companion Dingell-Johnson act passed many years later. BTW the Robertson in the legislation name is Evangelist Pat Roberston's father Absalom Roberston. Those funds are mandated to be used to acquire habitat, develop and improve it and support wildlife restoration that EVERYONE uses and enjoys; not just sportsmen/women. Next time an anti spouts ask them why they don't lobby to pay an extra 11% on everything they buy for their hobby and interest.
Interesting. With the run-up on ammo purchases a few years back, one would think that excise tax generated quite a bit of money. If so, I wonder where it went and how it was spent?
Ed

Topic author
WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

mojo84 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:51 pm
WTR wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:22 pm When I was at A & M in the early to mid 70s, Axis deer were considered a nuicense animal with no limit and no season. My Niece was just quoted $ 1,200.00 for an Axis tag.Money, Money, Money.

Game fenced ranch in Kerville. They also sell rags for black buck and white tail.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I dunno, haven't lived in Texas all my life, but it does appear to me that a significant part of the issue of paying to hunt is that Texas does not have a lot of state forest and park land, especially that is open to hunting, as compared to other states like where I am from (Indiana). It appears that most hunting has to be done on private land, and once private land owner found they could make a few bucks selling permission to hunt on their land, well BINGO! Good hunting land brings higher price. Fenced managed hunting land with high probability of a successful hunt is naturally going to bring a higher price.

Not saying this is bad at all, but it is different. Where I grew up half of my county was state or federal wild land, and just south of my county was the 317 square mile Hoosier National Forest. That amounted to a lot of hunting land, at least for the population of that area. It had a cost, but nothing like a hunting lease, although the increase in popularity has led to hunting lotteries in some cases, so instead of being priced out of hunting a certain area, you were just unlucky.
USAF 1982-2005

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

WTR wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Game fenced ranch in Kerville. They also sell rags for black buck and white tail.
Then it's a private party charging her trophy fees and it's not a state game stamp or tag. No state tag or season for black bucks either.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

mojo84 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:06 pm
WTR wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Then it's a private party charging her trophy fees and it's not a state game stamp or tag. No state tag or season for black bucks either.
Kinda what I thought.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Ok, but if I was a landowner with exotics, should I give up the opportunity to make current market value for, what, old times sake? Tradition? Charity? The market is what it is. I would like to hunt on a deer lease like I did 30 years ago. But today I can’t afford it. There are a lot of luxury goods I can’t afford. That’s just the way it is.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

equin wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:15 pm
puma guy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:34 pm
Interesting. With the run-up on ammo purchases a few years back, one would think that excise tax generated quite a bit of money. If so, I wonder where it went and how it was spent?
The funds must be spent for game and fish, wildlife habitat and programs, etc - supporting and developing the same. The legislation was specifically written to prevent monies from being diverted to other uses, though Clinton tried unsuccessfully to take it for other things. Pittman-Robertso was passed during the depression when spending and extra 11% was a severe burden, so that tells you how passionate sportsmen were to save wildlife.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

J.R.@A&M wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:36 pm
Ok, but if I was a landowner with exotics, should I give up the opportunity to make current market value for, what, old times sake? Tradition? Charity? The market is what it is. I would like to hunt on a deer lease like I did 30 years ago. But today I can’t afford it. There are a lot of luxury goods I can’t afford. That’s just the way it is.
Oh, I totally agree. However, I think game fences should be illegal. Animals should be free to roam if they haven’t specifically been bred for hunting by the land owner.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Exotics cost money to buy. If a land owner can get someone to pay to shoot a fancy goat or deer, more power to them.

Farmers won't let people in their fields anymore because there are too many liabilities now days. My buddy told me about 10 years ago, one of his neighbor's cows got out onto his dad's land. The neighbor had a bad 4 wheeler wreck and then tried to sue my buddy's dad because the wreck happened on his land. They almost had me sign a waiver the first time I went out with them to shoot coyote and pigs.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Return to “Off-Topic”