Maldives: Shame on Accor Hotels for being so insensitive

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Maldives: Shame on Accor Hotels for being so insensitive

Post by philip964 »

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/25/65141069 ... un-islamic

What were they thinking?

Another boycott for me.

DEB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Maldives: Shame on Accor Hotels for being so insensitive

Post by DEB »

Its their country, shrug...Folks go to different nations and cultures and treat those areas as if it is their own. Then get all shocked when the locals don't believe as they do. As far as modern art goes, I have my own thoughts, our current culture's modern art sure isn't Michelangelo or Raphael, so I kinda empathize with the Maldivians. Islamic nations have been historically very hard on people making the human form. I bet the artist knew that fact as well and still he went ahead and violated that nation's laws and culture.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

DEB wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:38 pm Its their country, shrug...Folks go to different nations and cultures and treat those areas as if it is their own. Then get all shocked when the locals don't believe as they do. As far as modern art goes, I have my own thoughts, our current culture's modern art sure isn't Michelangelo or Raphael, so I kinda empathize with the Maldivians. Islamic nations have been historically very hard on people making the human form. I bet the artist knew that fact as well and still he went ahead and violated that nation's laws and culture.
:iagree:
I've had my share of travels to some great and some not-so-great places in this world. The one thing that they all have in common is that they each think they get to make their own laws - and treat it like it's their own country.

And you know what, they're right!

Why would someone go to a Muslim country and erect something that violates their core beliefs and think it's OK? Would the same person put up a statute extolling the virtues of abortion in the center of the Holy See and expect it to remain? Or go to Thailand and speak publicly about the flaws of having a Monarchal system of government (do that, and you might just end up a permanent resident of that beautiful country - but unfortunately it'll be in the prison system).

Just because I don't fully embrace the cultural differences between myself and others doesn't mean I won't respect them, especially in their homeland.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/ ... 99870.html

Kaaba holiest site in all Islam. 50 story shopping mall and hotel added recently next door.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

This subject is one where I agree with what's been previous stated when one is a guest in a foreign land...up to a point.

Let's reverse, if you aren't a citizen of my country, but want to impose Sharia law superceding our laws? Get real!!

You want to marry multiple wives, something that is also against our laws? Again, you ain't in camel country.

You like to negotiate the cost of a can of soup at the grocery store because, hey, that's how they shop at home.

You like to 'demand' a discount for...everything, cuz hey, thet's how they do it at home.

So, all you that understand how to act when in a country not your own, need stop accommodating this type behavior when some foreigner demands things be done his way in our country, cuz that's how they do it at his ...

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

philip964 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:47 pm https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/ ... 99870.html

Kaaba holiest site in all Islam. 50 story shopping mall and hotel added recently next door.
That's a nice looking building. It would be a shame if somebody flew a jet plane into it.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The leftists always complain about anyone in this.country, procaiming America First, and yet, keep silent regarding other countries, forbidding artistic, theoretic, scientific, theological, lifestyle,or any other freedom, and insist, that we welcome with open arms, those who want to bring those ideologies, here, and demand that we allow those ideals to take root.
I don't care what they do in their countries, I feel for the people forced to live there, but, everyone has seen how our form of government works, and have had the opportunity, to adapt it, if that's what they wanted. If they chose to reject it, that is their problem. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

fickman

Post by fickman »

I've taken my family to the Maldives and we had a wonderful time. We skipped the extremely expensive resort islands in favor of a local island. It was a great experience - but yeah - we knew going in that the country is listed as 100% Muslim and that there would be no alcohol or pork available on the local islands. We also knew that western swimsuits were only allowed at our hotel's private beach.

When visiting northern India, we observed many distinguishing factors of ancient Hindu and ancient Muslim art. One of the easiest to spot is that the Hindus use human forms whereas the Muslims did not.
Native Texian

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Interesting, since this post, I have received two emails from Accor Hotels that were ads suggesting I stay at their hotels. They were separated by a couple of days. I've never received spam from them before.

Coincidence?

Return to “Off-Topic”