Stand Alone ER's / Rip Offs or ...?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Re: We prefer the stand alone here

Post by jason812 »

flechero wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:11 pm
We've used Premier ER/Urgent care in Temple several times... in fact we now prefer it for any non scheduled Dr. visit. The copay for urgent care is actually much less than scott & white's ER (even for the same treatments we would have had to go to the ER for) but the care seems to be much better and the waits, much much shorter. ANd no billing issues.
I think this is the one I used last month to remove a nail from my thumb. Between the 20-25 minute drive there, xrays, deadening shots and pulling the nail out, I was on the way home in 2 hrs. Short of dying, I would go there instead of Scott and White.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

TreyHouston

Re: Stand Alone ER's / Rip Offs or ...?

Post by TreyHouston »

I have the closest 3 already scoped out. One does not take my insurance, the other two do. I recommend doimg your research BEFORE an emergency so you are well prepared.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

A few years ago I cut my thumb deep. It was a very clean cut. Drove myself to the Christus ER by the HEB. I had Humana insurance at the time, and it did not work too well. They super glued it - no blood. The doctor did not reopen the cut. Just super glue. $1200. I don't remember if I paid in full.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Abraham »

Thanks all for your helpful input.

I very much appreciate the education...now to do some research.

Thanks again.

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

Abraham wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:13 am Thanks all for your helpful input.

I very much appreciate the education...now to do some research.

Thanks again.
Many of the stand alones are both ER and Urgent Care- be sure to know which is which and what time the Urgent care closes...

The one thing to pay special attention to is your insurance ER visit costs against "urgent care."

For us, the actual ER is a big co-pay + 20% of everything (which is nuts at an ER) plus some test/scans if needed.

VS. a stand alone- billed as "urgent care" Which for us is co-pay that's similar but no shared costs. So it's much cheaper and sufficient for all but the worst events. But our stand alone urgent care closes at 10pm. (they have an ER door that's 24hrs but then the costs go way up.)

Hope you find a good option and then I hope you never need it!!!! :tiphat:

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

flechero,

Thanks!

Do you have any idea as to why 'urgent care' is less costly than ER care costs?

Thanks again!

flechero

Post by flechero »

My guess and it's just a guess- in a true ER you are sharing the costs of a full blown facility up to and including trauma/surgical/burn unit care, etc. So they spread the cost over all that use it.

Urgent care came along for those needing to see a Dr sooner than you can get an appt... Could be anything from a strep/flu test to stitches to anything not immediately life threatening. (lacks a lot of equipment and highly specialized Dr's.) So you aren't paying for the super expensive things you don't need.

Again, this is mostly speculation on my part.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

flechero,

I appreciate your speculation - makes sense to me.

Thanks!

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

flechero wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:36 am My guess and it's just a guess- in a true ER you are sharing the costs of a full blown facility up to and including trauma/surgical/burn unit care, etc. So they spread the cost over all that use it.

Urgent care came along for those needing to see a Dr sooner than you can get an appt... Could be anything from a strep/flu test to stitches to anything not immediately life threatening. (lacks a lot of equipment and highly specialized Dr's.) So you aren't paying for the super expensive things you don't need.

Again, this is mostly speculation on my part.
Its also the 'life saving agreements'. The pop-up ERs can bill and then send to collections for the less expensive emergencies. The brick and mortar hospitals obviously do the same, but when a non-insured (sorry to be blunt, but poor) person comes in the door with a full cardiac arrest, the pop-up will place him in an ambulance and ship him on to the full hospital because of their 'capabilities'. The most expensive write-offs are forwarded to the big hospitals. The smaller write-offs (unpaid losses) are smaller and easier to send to collections with a higher likelyhood of payment.

If a credit-buying company has the option to buy a 500$ (or even 3000$) debt from "Non-Insured #1" or a $30,000 debt from "Non-insured #2", which do you think they would rather buy?

As brutal as it may seem, as soon as you require 'life saving' medicine to be performed for free (or no requirement to pay back) without the possibility to garnish tax returns or wages, you have a system ripe for abuse. Its why people who aren't insured go to the ER for the flu. They won't have to pay for it. Its also why the traditional ER has a four hour line, people using it as a clinic in lieu of emergencies only. And they can't turn them away...

Not suggesting any specific solutions, just wanted to point out the finance side of it... :tiphat:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Memorial Hermann is a major hospital chain, so if it's part of that system, the level of care should be fine. I am always a bit more leery of the stand-alone facilities that are not affiliated with an actual hospital. The closest care facility to my house is a Memorial Hermann urgent care location. That's where my daughter drove me when I managed to slice up my finger while sharpening a pocket knife. We have also used them when my wife had some chest pains. All care was top notch, and we had an expedited transfer to the local MH hospital in my case. No issues with my insurance.

As far as the wait times at ER's, my best guess would be that it has something to do with the fact that we have the lowest unemployment rates in recorded history right now. That means everyone is struggling to find workers. There are only two solutions to that. We either increase the pool of workers (most easily done by increasing the number of immigrants), or we slow down the economy. I prefer the first solution personally.

As far as the folks at ER's, I haven't noticed much of a change. Every time I have gone to an ER in my 50 years, I have seen a disproportionate number of poorer folks. I'm assuming this has something to do with the safety of living and working conditions for poor versus wealthier individuals regardless of what languages they may be fluent in.

Steve W

Post by Steve W »

In Texas all private ER's are required to post a "menu" of their procedures, and their costs, up front in the lobby...

I'm lucky that I live near Collage Station and the Hospital ER's are great so I have never been inside a stand alone. I do know a Doctor that owns one...

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Steve W wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:02 pm In Texas all private ER's are required to post a "menu" of their procedures, and their costs, up front in the lobby...

I'm lucky that I live near Collage Station and the Hospital ER's are great so I have never been inside a stand alone. I do know a Doctor that owns one...
What is the definition of private in this case? Not owned or operated by a larger hospital? Most hospitals are privately owned.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Nearly half of US medical care comes from emergency rooms

Emergency room visits hit all-time high during ACA{Obamacare} implementation

Patient satisfaction surveys ARE fueling America's opioid epidemic

ERs are getting slammed for various reasons. The worst being that the taxpayers and hospitals are paying for drug addicts to get drugs at the ER. If doctors don't give drugs to drug addicts, the drug addicts write bad "patient satisfaction surveys" and the hospitals are rated badly and have funding reduced/cut-off.

These 11 hospitals closed in 2018

Thank you Obama! :grumble
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

howdy

Post by howdy »

There is a difference between a stand alone ER and an Urgent Care center. I have found Urgent care centers are cheaper than ER's. NO Er should make someone wait that is having chest pain. That is a real emergency and should go to the front of the line. Get vocal if you arrive at an ER with chest pain and they try to put you in line. Time is muscle for cardiac events. You should also know what hospitals can handle a cardiac event and which ones transfer you (again, time is muscle). I have also found the clinics in Walgreen type stores are very good for minor illnesses. They use Nurse Practitioners and can prescribe some medicines.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

howdy,

Thanks!

Good info!!