Tumbleweeds discussion

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chuck j
Posts in topic: 30

Tumbleweeds discussion

Post by chuck j »

I put up the 'Tumbleweeds " thread a bit ago . I realized it would be of limited interest due to the storyline , setting and just the fact I'm not a writer . I welcome any criticism ! I didn't post this for accolades or seeking any credit at all . Mainly interested in what I'm doing wrong . Realizing my limitations I have an extremely thick skin from years of being less than perfect . I certainly am not posting this in vanity seeking praise . Knowing what I'm doing wrong could help me . I thank you !

Charlie

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tumbleweeds discussion

Post by Jusme »

Charlie, I am enjoying reading the story, it reminds me of some stories, by Louis Lamour, and others
The only criticism, I have, is there seems to be a lot of technical, info, such as how things are constructed, food preparation,etc, and not as much character development. But, I am no writer, and the story definitely holds my interest, and I look forward to each installment. Maybe others who have more literary, experience can give you some pointers, but please continue writing. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

DocV
Posts in topic: 4

Post by DocV »

Hi Charlie

I have been hoping for a Thumbleweeds discussion thread. Thanks for starting it. I do have a question but figure I just forgot, and did not rediscover, your heroine's first name. I have been reading about her for almost three weeks and feel like I ought to know by now ;)

I like your story, the way you are presenting it, and your weaving in parts of what everyday life was like in the mid 1870s. You are a gifted and talented storyteller.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I’ll echo DocV’s criticism. I would really like to know “her” name, but I also let it go because I thought perhaps this was some kind of literary device you were deliberately using. But since every character seems not to be the narrator, it doesn’t seem like it would hurt to know her name...

.......UNLESS........

.....this is being written kind of like the gospel of John, in which the author never refers to himself other than “the one whom Jesus loved”, even though John was one of the central characters of the gospels. In that case, it would make some literary sense, since this story is also a testimony to the goodness of God, His provision, and His saving grace. So maybe “she” is “the one whom Jesus loved” for the purposes of this story? Let me know if I’m onto something.

I have VERY much enjoyed reading Tumbleweeds, and as you know from our PM exchanges, I’ve been suitably frustrated by the hanging suspense a couple of times when you “set down your pen” to rest.

One question: did you have this already written, or have you just written it as you went along?

One request: please don’t stop.

:thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Jusme wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:58 pm Charlie, I am enjoying reading the story, it reminds me of some stories, by Louis Lamour, and others
The only criticism, I have, is there seems to be a lot of technical, info, such as how things are constructed, food preparation,etc, and not as much character development. But, I am no writer, and the story definitely holds my interest, and I look forward to each installment. Maybe others who have more literary, experience can give you some pointers, but please continue writing. JMHO
Jusme You are correct about the daily work , cooking , chores and a lot of everyday activities . I try to stress the struggle of everyday existence and survival . I know it is a bit tedious but it was reality in that time . If you can hang on I think the pace and characters will pick up . I wrote the first post in the thread and have worked off that . I have no outline or premediated storyline , I put it up post by post . I'm flying by the seat of my pants .

If you compare the fist page to the last it is speeding up ...I think .

Charlie

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

DocV wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:14 pm Hi Charlie

I have been hoping for a Thumbleweeds discussion thread. Thanks for starting it. I do have a question but figure I just forgot, and did not rediscover, your heroine's first name. I have been reading about her for almost three weeks and feel like I ought to know by now ;)

I like your story, the way you are presenting it, and your weaving in parts of what everyday life was like in the mid 1870s. You are a gifted and talented storyteller.

DocV your too kind . Her name is withheld intentionaly but will be known eventually I assure you ! Thank you sir .

Charlie

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:43 pm I’ll echo DocV’s criticism. I would really like to know “her” name, but I also let it go because I thought perhaps this was some kind of literary device you were deliberately using. But since every character seems not to be the narrator, it doesn’t seem like it would hurt to know her name...

.......UNLESS........

.....this is being written kind of like the gospel of John, in which the author never refers to himself other than “the one whom Jesus loved”, even though John was one of the central characters of the gospels. In that case, it would make some literary sense, since this story is also a testimony to the goodness of God, His provision, and His saving grace. So maybe “she” is “the one whom Jesus loved” for the purposes of this story? Let me know if I’m onto something.

I have VERY much enjoyed reading Tumbleweeds, and as you know from our PM exchanges, I’ve been suitably frustrated by the hanging suspense a couple of times when you “set down your pen” to rest.

One question: did you have this already written, or have you just written it as you went along?

One request: please don’t stop.

:thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:

As I told DocV Her name will be held for now But will surly be revealed as it was to John in Matthew 17 during the transfiguration .

After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. 3 Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.
4 Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.”
5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”
6 When the disciples heard this, they fell facedown to the ground, terrified. 7 But Jesus came and touched them. “Get up,” he said. “Don’t be afraid.” 8 When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus.
9 As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus instructed them, “Don’t tell anyone what you have seen, until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.”
10 The disciples asked him, “Why then do the teachers of the law say that Elijah must come first?”
11 Jesus replied, “To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. 12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished. In the same way the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.” 13 Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist.

Thank you for the verse TAM ! Any pointers you give are apricated !

Charlie

kragluver
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kragluver »

I am very much enjoying tumbleweeds. I personally like the technical aspects of the story. You've done a great job illustrating how hard it was just to survive on the frontier before 1900. Keep it up! Great job!

The Krag rifle is the Swiss watch of MILSURPS.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Thank you kragluver .

Charlie

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

I am enjoying the story immensely as well and please accept my thanks for creating the story. That era has become my favorite period in Texas history since visiting the Everett Haley museum in Midland this time last year! Keep up the great work!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 10

Post by SewTexas »

I have so much enjoyed reading your story. Please don't stop!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

jason812
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jason812 »

I'm enjoying it even though the genre is nothing I have ever read. The way I see it, the grammatical errors are what an editor is for, but English was my worse subject in school so what I have to say about grammar can be ignored. I have been frustrated a few times when you have gone a bit without new posts, hahaha.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:54 pm I am enjoying the story immensely as well and please accept my thanks for creating the story. That era has become my favorite period in Texas history since visiting the Everett Haley museum in Midland this time last year! Keep up the great work!

We share the view of this period of Texas history being one of the most interesting ! Although all of the state's history is intresting the time between 1870 and 1880 was a time of great change . Thank you yo for your encouragement .

Charlie

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

SewTexas wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:48 pm I have so much enjoyed reading your story. Please don't stop!

You have been complimentry and encouraging . I thank you .

I actually planned to write a story as a project to fill time . I had a knee replacement at the beginning time of the story . I'm using it to keep myself from going crazy just sitting so much , lol . I'm not of a nature to enjoy inactivity .

The knee is doing fine and am progressing nicly . Thank you for helping me recover through your kind words .

Charlie

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

jason812 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:00 pm I'm enjoying it even though the genre is nothing I have ever read. The way I see it, the grammatical errors are what an editor is for, but English was my worse subject in school so what I have to say about grammar can be ignored. I have been frustrated a few times when you have gone a bit without new posts, hahaha.
Your correct about the grammer . I make no excuses for my own ignorance in that area . But keep in mind that much of the 'bad' grammer is an attempt to harken back to the manner of speech in that time period . I'm sure my effort at that is lacking but bear with me .

Thank you !

Charlie

Return to “Off-Topic”