Why Did 'Asian' Replace The Word 'Oriental' & Other Things?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 14

Why Did 'Asian' Replace The Word 'Oriental' & Other Things?

Post by Abraham »

Anyone know?

Why is "Oriental" now a verboten word? As far as I know, the word Oriental isn't unkind, so why was it replaced?

In the past, when I said Oriental, a few people immediately corrected me with a look of horror - No No No, you must said 'Asian'.

Plus, when you (if you're a non-Oriental) eat at an Oriental restaurant do you use a knife and fork? Or, do you use chopsticks and if you do, do you use them when you eat bar-be-cue or meat and potatoes in a non-Oriental eatery? Or at home replacing the use of a knife and fork, cuz hey, chopsticks are cool? I'm betting not...

Some friends and I would often eat in a Chinese restaurant where they'd ostentatiously use chopsticks and discreetly sneer at me for using a knife and fork.

Now, am I hopelessly pedestrian or are they pretentious?

And, do Orientals use a knife and fork in western style restaurants to show off, but otherwise use chopsticks?

OK, that's a few questions.

Who knows the answers?

Thanks!

G26ster
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Why Did 'Asian' Replace The Word 'Oriental' & Other Things?

Post by G26ster »

Some Asians are, and some aren't offended. Google "oriental grocery" and look at the images. You'll find many that have the word oriental on their signs. Asian is the preferred term by Asian Americans to describe people, while oriental is ok to describe things. This is true especially among activists. They feel the term oriental has been used in a derogatory way over the years and prefer Asian. Likely the most people offended by the term oriental are offended by many other English words used for centuries. But as non-Asians , it's not for us to decide. My children are 1/2 Asian, and I respect their wishes. YMMV. Google the definition of oriental, and you'll have all your answers.

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/sto ... =112465167

Rugs not people. The law in New York.

People from Niger? Here is your answer.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-people-from-Niger-called

However the New York Times uses the word “Nigerois” instead.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

G26ster,

Thanks.

I looked it up, but sadly didn't see much beyond the information you provided, Oriental being a fine word for things, but not people.

I didn't see anything regarding the use of chopsticks vs. knife & fork in Oriental restaurants and western style eateries.

"Likely the most people offended by the term oriental are offended by many other English words used for centuries."

I think you're right on the money about that... Just this morning, I read that a wide variety of groups, blacks, whites, eskimos and other groups are sick of PC...everything.

Can anyone comment further plus, your take on chopsticks use vs. the use of knives and forks by non-Asians? (the use of which, I find hilarious)

philip964,

I just saw your post and will look at the links you provided.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

philip964,

I read the links and from what I can ascertain, folks are tying themselves into PC knots over pretty much zero. Everyone can find something to be offended about, eh?

Let's see: Hey, I know I'm offended for being singled out as a 'white guy'.

And, and, don't remind me I'm old, that's sexist or is it 'oldist'? (shrug)

I'm short, oh man, that's a loaded word I take great umbrage with...

Oh and don't dare mention, I'm bald as that's, ah, let me think, 'baldish'.

Now, I'm going to learn how to use chopsticks, yes, I'm very interested, (obsessive?) why you whitey's want to use them instead of a knife and fork when eating in an Oriental eatery, you, you, you, 'utensilists'!

P.S. philip964, my silliness isn't directed at you. Just having a bit of fun, since I'm currently stuck in the house and all the gloom and doom in the news isn't something I care to participate in and being silly is fun and occasionally educational.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

I've spent a lot of time in Asia and learned to use chopsticks. They are much more convenient for eating certain things like salads and chopped foods. I use them at home quite often. I don't see it as anything other than a personal choice.

Since Orient means to the east, the term oriental meant east of Europe, at one time the center of "the real world". An Asian friend told me the preferred way was to address people from the region as Asian, and "things" as oriental.

But if anyone is offended by the misuse of these terms, that's their problem, not mine. Nice thing about being old is that I don't care what others think.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

oohrah,

I assume you are a non-Asian?

You are one of the few I've ever heard of using chopsticks as something genuine, whereas, my experience of non-Orientals using them is when, on the relatively infrequent visits (and only) times they find themselves in Oriental eateries, like my erstwhile friends. Then, like my friends, I see non-Asians clumsily, but with a superior attitude, employing chopsticks like their hands are numb, rather than using a fork and knife. You know using a fork and knife when eating moo goo gaipan or what have you, is ever so gauche.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

pretentious... It's them trying to be PC and looking down on those who don't buy into it. I say oriental. i say asian. and if i know what area of asia, i'll use it instead like japanese food or the korean guy, or chinese literature.... its just people having a superiority complex.
NRA Member

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I use chopsticks, if they are provided by the host or the restaurant.

If they are not provided, I use the utensils that are provided by the host.

I have gotten quite good. I notice I eat a little slower, which is probably better.

Rice that is not sticky gets a little difficult. Which is why I assume Oriental rice is always sticky (that's ok to say right?)

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

philip964,

"Which is why I assume Oriental rice is always sticky (that's ok to say right?)"

I prefer, long grained, individual rice grain separation, as sticky rice is icky rice as far as texture goes.

Back to one of my other questions: Do Asians eschew chop sticks in favor of western utensils when eating in a western style restaurant in their home Oriental country, (assuming they have such) cuz it's cool?

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

Abraham wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:12 pm oohrah,

I assume you are a non-Asian?

You are one of the few I've ever heard of using chopsticks as something genuine, whereas, my experience of non-Orientals
:nono:

Occidentals
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Hold it!

Occidental, (not to be confused with orthodontics) is a an oil corporation.

ok, ok, I kid.

Though, I find the term occidental offensive as is my prerogative as another complaining about nothing human bean.

I prefer 'whitey'.

G26ster
Posts in topic: 6

Post by G26ster »

While I love Asian food, and spent many years there, I dare anyone to eat Amercan style Asian fried rice with chopsticks. It simply cannot be done, as opposed to rice coked a rice cooker, the grains are "Uncle Ben's" style and do not stick together like traditional asian/oriental rice. When I'm in Asia I use chopsticks, and when I'm in the West I don't.

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Just to add some additional confusion to this discussion on the other side of the pond the understanding is completely different. Unless things have changed since I left the UK, then the term Asian was used by the UK MSM as well as race indicators on government forms etc, to describe people from India, Pakistan & Bangladesh. If you speak to almost any Brit they would never describe Japanese Chinese Korean or any of the people from the west pacific basin as Asian, they would regard that entire group Oriental. The reason for this is fairly obvious, while the UK is even now nearly 90% white, the Indian/Pakistani group have been the largest non-white section of the population for decades, with Afro-Caribbean second and Orientals (mostly Hong Kong Chinese as a small 3rd.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral »

“Oriental” means “eastern”, and refers to people from Eastern Asia (e.g. Korea, Japan, China, The Phillipines, Vietnam Nam, etc.). “Asian” is a broader term which also includes those from South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc.).

Return to “Off-Topic”