New house + insurance

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New house + insurance

Post by Keith B »

AndyC wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:24 pm I'm in the final throes of buying a house and I found it interesting when going through the home-insurance policy that they cover a LOT of stuff - but by default they will only insure $2,000 worth of firearms.

I have a healthy little collection so I'm going to have to bump up some extra coverage, but I figured it might be a nice reminder for some.
If you are an NRA member they will cover up to $2500 I believe. You have to activate it, but it is there. You can also buy additional insurance for your firearms at a reasonable price.

https://mynrainsurance.com/insurance-pr ... scare-plus
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

AndyC wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:24 pm but by default they will only insure $2,000 worth of firearms.
Yep... $100k of ikea furniture is no problem, even if it's got dog and cat pee stains all over it- falls under standard contents... but one nice O/U shotgun or a semi custom 1911 and you are on your own! :headscratch

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

What Keith said. Extra insurance through NRA. My Texas Farm Bureau policy is one of the better as far as the usual suspects for homeowners policies.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mojo84 »

Firearms are like jewelry, highly desirable by thiefs. You can increase the coverage by scheduling them. It's also done this way because not everyone has $10,000+ in guns.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

I activated my NRA insurance as soon as i became a member. I only have a few guns but im hoping to expand my collection :D
NRA Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

AndyC wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:46 pm Right - I was simply weirded-out because, as flechero said, you will have 100k on any other junk covered but not firearms.
Yeah, I hear you. Very few crooks wants most our other junk. It's primary risk is fire, flood and tornado.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

mojo84 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:59 pm
AndyC wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:46 pm Right - I was simply weirded-out because, as flechero said, you will have 100k on any other junk covered but not firearms.
Yeah, I hear you. Very few crooks wants most our other junk. It's primary risk is fire, flood and tornado.
Which, ironically, is probably as much a risk as theft in certain areas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

flechero wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:54 pm
mojo84 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:59 pm
Which, ironically, is probably as much a risk as theft in certain areas.
Or more so in certain areas.
Last edited by mojo84 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

Look into Germania (out of Brenham), my policy has firearms covered as normal contents, just as clothes, furniture, etc. No extra scheduling required. Contact an agent near you!! LOL!!
TSRA Life Memeber

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

eureka40 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:09 am Look into Germania (out of Brenham), my policy has firearms covered as normal contents, just as clothes, furniture, etc. No extra scheduling required. Contact an agent near you!! LOL!!
:iagree:

That was one of the reasons I went with Germania. Back when I was much younger, I had some guns stolen from my house. The insurance I had at the time only paid a maximum, of 1k
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I just checked with my Homeowners policy and my collection is covered. Since I do have a substantial collection I need to document with pictures and serial numbers and receipts if possible, but I have most of that done already anyway. They said that they don't distinguish firearms from any other personal property. My personal is insured up to $210,000.00 So I should be ok.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

AndyC wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:24 pm I'm in the final throes of buying a house and I found it interesting when going through the home-insurance policy that they cover a LOT of stuff - but by default they will only insure $2,000 worth of firearms.

I have a healthy little collection so I'm going to have to bump up some extra coverage, but I figured it might be a nice reminder for some.
I believe it is the same for jewelry, watches, etc. I have a monitored alarm and two large gun safes which are bolted to the floor.
Congratulations on your new home!
NRA Endowment Member

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Jusme wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:28 am
eureka40 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:09 am Look into Germania (out of Brenham), my policy has firearms covered as normal contents, just as clothes, furniture, etc. No extra scheduling required. Contact an agent near you!! LOL!!
:iagree:

That was one of the reasons I went with Germania. Back when I was much younger, I had some guns stolen from my house. The insurance I had at the time only paid a maximum, of 1k
I specifically asked about a gun limit with Germania and was told if I have $100k of contents and all $100k is guns, I'm covered. I heard of other companies' limits and was shocked how low some were without taking out a "firearm" policy. $2k might cover 1 or 2 guns and $10k is a joke for most of the people I know.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Return to “Off-Topic”