OT: Texas Backroad Borders

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

OT: Texas Backroad Borders

Post by RoyGBiv »

Way off topic, but very Texas.

Goal: Drive the entire Texas border (the whole perimeter), as close as possible to the actual border, on back roads wherever possible.

An interesting wanderlust story and some great scenery. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Back Story: Texas Backroad Borders

Episode 1: Pub 13-October. Not sure when the rest will be published.

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Re: OT: Texas Backroad Borders

Post by twomillenium »

Very interesting, I look forward to the other episodes. I am glad they are doing it so that now I don't need too. :cheers2:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

E10

Post by E10 »

I love the idea, and may try some of it myself. But I don’t see how this is ‘off topic’ - it certainly would be prudent to be well-armed.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

E10 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:52 am I love the idea, and may try some of it myself. But I don’t see how this is ‘off topic’ - it certainly would be prudent to be well-armed.
I believe they cross into Mexico a few times. Good idea, but illegal to be armed there.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

E10

Post by E10 »

Well, I travel off-road here in the border area often, and I am ALWAYS armed, usually with both handgun and rifle, with a generous supply of ammo for both.. I would just have to avoid traveling into Mexico, as I do now.

When traveling the coast, do they sometimes venture into the Gulf?

jason812

Post by jason812 »

RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:43 pm
E10 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:52 am I love the idea, and may try some of it myself. But I don’t see how this is ‘off topic’ - it certainly would be prudent to be well-armed.
I believe they cross into Mexico a few times. Good idea, but illegal to be armed there.
To me it seems rather easy to not cross into Mexico accidentally while in Texas... stay out of the river.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

jason812 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:07 pm
RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:43 pm
To me it seems rather easy to not cross into Mexico accidentally while in Texas... stay out of the river.
Actually, I have crossed into Mexico on horse back where there is no river. Rusty barbed wire fence which was laid down was the only boarder marking. My reception was first picked up by my horse, Mexican Jeep with two 50 cals mounted was my greeting. Fortunately, due my horse's alert I was able to cross over well before the Jeep arrived. There is plenty of area where no river exists.

curryman

Post by curryman »

I know someone who bicycled the southernmost paved road from kali to brownsville. Took 3 months.

Return to “Off-Topic”