Mercy Killing of Animals

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

cirus
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Mercy Killing of Animals

Post by cirus »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:16 pm I saw a neighbor shooting Dove with a BB gun several years back. I called in and reported him. I don't know if anything came of it but I never saw him doing it again. It was Dove season but there is no legal hunting allowed in Plano Texas from the back yard. Not to mention use of an improper weapon.
A BB gun is considered a improper weapon in Plano? I'm glad I live in the country.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 11

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

It is illegal to shoot dove with a BB gun in the country also.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ruark »

I would consider a quick call to the sheriff's office, and telling them you're standing over a wounded animal and want to know if it's ok to dispatch it. It would just take a second, and that way you'd be covered.
-Ruark

03Lightningrocks

On the other hand, what if the wounded animal cherishes it's life and you just robbed it of the last few minutes it had to live?

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

couzin wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:15 pm Durian is great - tastes like whipped cream with sugar. Knock a buzzard offa crap wagon though...
TASTES like tapioca pudding.
SMELLS like you're sitting in the Grand Central Station men's room, in Summer. :shock:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:46 pm It is illegal to shoot dove with a BB gun in the country also.
Yep!

Migratory Game Bird Hunting Methods
Lawful Hunting Methods

Shotguns, archery equipment including crossbows, falconry, dogs, artificial decoys, and manual or mouth-operated bird calls are lawful.

A shotgun is the only legal firearm for hunting migratory game birds. Shotguns must NOT be larger than 10-gauge, must be fired from the shoulder, and must be incapable of holding more than three shells. Shotguns capable of holding more than three shells must be plugged with a one-piece filler which cannot be removed without disassembling the gun, so the gun’s total capacity does not exceed three shells.

Hunting is permitted in the open or from a blind or other type of concealment or from floating craft or motor boat provided that all motion resulting from sail or motor has ceased. Sails must be furled and motor turned off before shooting starts.

A craft under power may be used to retrieve dead or crippled birds; however, crippled birds may not be shot from such craft under power.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

flechero

Post by flechero »

I have never met or known a kid with a BB gun that didn't shoot [at] a few birds. (of whatever species is within range) Not condoning it but I absolutely would NOT call the Game Warden on him. I'll have a chat with him about the rules, but that's a teaching moment, not a snitch moment. Many kids have not yet been taught the game laws, at an early age. :tiphat:

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

OldCurlyWolf wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:11 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:10 pm
OldCurlyWolf wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:07 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:38 pm Upon dispatching, one should also process and eat said animal.
Not Legal. Supposed to let the game warden or sheriff deputy pick it up and take to a processor. The meat goes to various government run schools for orphans, deaf and blind, etc.
I was kidding. But the warden can give you permission to take the animal home if they choose to.
Correct
:thumbs2:
This brings up a question that may or may not have happened in the past. :coolgleamA:

You are on your deer lease where you have legal permission to hunt. you come across a spike that is stuck in a fence with an obvious broken leg. You dispatch said spike with a legal firearm, tag it, and keep the meat. The fence is a property boundary fence, and the deer was on your side of the fence.

Was this legally harvested? I know it's illegal to snare deer, but this one is just stuck in a fence. No snares intentionally set.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

canvasbck wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:01 pm [quote=OldCurlyWolf post_id=<a href="tel:1230923">1230923</a> time=<a href="tel:1543277508">1543277508</a> user_id=8392]
[quote=03Lightningrocks post_id=<a href="tel:1230922">1230922</a> time=<a href="tel:1543277455">1543277455</a> user_id=3350]
[quote=OldCurlyWolf post_id=<a href="tel:1230920">1230920</a> time=<a href="tel:1543277251">1543277251</a> user_id=8392]
[quote=03Lightningrocks post_id=<a href="tel:1230913">1230913</a> time=<a href="tel:1543275488">1543275488</a> user_id=3350]
Upon dispatching, one should also process and eat said animal.
Not Legal. Supposed to let the game warden or sheriff deputy pick it up and take to a processor. The meat goes to various government run schools for orphans, deaf and blind, etc.
[/quote]

I was kidding. But the warden can give you permission to take the animal home if they choose to.
[/quote]
Correct
[/quote]

This brings up a question that may or may not have happened in the past. :coolgleamA:

You are on your deer lease where you have legal permission to hunt. you come across a spike that is stuck in a fence with an obvious broken leg. You dispatch said spike with a legal firearm, tag it, and keep the meat. The fence is a property boundary fence, and the deer was on your side of the fence.

Was this legally harvested? I know it's illegal to snare deer, but this one is just stuck in a fence. No snares intentionally set.
[/quote]

Personally, I think that is a shoot it and shut up about it case. Just know that you did the deer a service.

txglock21
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txglock21 »

canvasbck wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:01 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:38 pm Upon dispatching, one should also process and eat said animal.
Correct

You failed to mention if this was during a legal deer season or not. If during the season, then yes, it's legal. If not, then I would do as others have said above and call a game warden first and ask or dispatch it and leave it for the other critters to feed on. Circle of life. :lol:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Pawpaw wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:01 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:46 pm It is illegal to shoot dove with a BB gun in the country also.
Yep!

Migratory Game Bird Hunting Methods
Lawful Hunting Methods.....
Learned something new today. I am not and have never been a bird hunter and didn't realize doves were migratory. Thanks.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

03Lightningrocks

flechero wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:02 am I have never met or known a kid with a BB gun that didn't shoot [at] a few birds. (of whatever species is within range) Not condoning it but I absolutely would NOT call the Game Warden on him. I'll have a chat with him about the rules, but that's a teaching moment, not a snitch moment. Many kids have not yet been taught the game laws, at an early age. :tiphat:
Who said it was a kid? :tiphat:

Topic author
imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

SRO1911 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:37 pm Sec. 61.060. DEFENSE TO PROSECUTION: HUMANE DISPATCH OF CERTAIN GAME ANIMALS AND BIRDS. (a) In this section:

(1) "Dispatch" means to kill by any humane method.

(2) "Game animal" has the meaning assigned by Section 63.001.

(3) "Game bird" has the meaning assigned by Section 64.001.

(b) It is a defense to prosecution for a violation of this chapter or of a regulation adopted or proclamation issued under the authority of this chapter by the commission that the actor dispatched a game animal or game bird that:

(1) was mortally wounded, not through the actor's conduct; or

(2) behaved in a manner that:

(A) is inconsistent with the manner in which a game animal or game bird that is not diseased typically behaves; and

(B) leads a reasonable person to believe that the game animal or game bird poses a substantial risk of serious harm to itself, a person, or other wildlife.

(c) The commission may adopt rules, including rules concerning the disposition of a game animal or a game bird that has been dispatched under this section, to implement this section.
That's exactly what I was looking for - thanks!! :thumbs2:
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

03Lightningrocks

txglock21 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:53 pm
canvasbck wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:01 pm
Correct

You failed to mention if this was during a legal deer season or not. If during the season, then yes, it's legal. If not, then I would do as others have said above and call a game warden first and ask or dispatch it and leave it for the other critters to feed on. Circle of life. :lol:
I am pretty certain one has to call a game warden even if it is in season.

Return to “Off-Topic”