First aid kits

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

First aid kits

Post by LDB415 »

Yes, I'm searching and have found some good stuff but not what I'm looking for so here it is. Where can one get a good quality kit already stocked that is all what you'd need/want and not just all stuff that makes the kit look full and has lots of markup? I'd like something capable of handling just about anything one could encounter. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First aid kits

Post by Tex1961 »

The best kit you can get is to build your own. I bought a gunshot kit, trauma kit and general first aid kit and pulled out the parts from each.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I would very strongly recommend that, if you are not already certified in a 1st responder capacity, you should take an advanced first aid class of some kind. I don’t know what’s available in your specific area, but up here in DFW, Caleb Cousey’s Lonestar Medics has a Medics II and Medics I field medicine classes. Medics 1 is a two-day class which covers a broad array of problems, from sucking chest wounds and other penetrating trauma, to heat stroke and poison ivy.

The reason I recommend it (besides the obvious training you’ll get), is that you’ll have a MUCH better idea of what you want in a first aid kit. Also, Caleb - or any other competent instructor - will be able to point you to good sources for the items you wish to purchase. From that knowledge, I made up IFAK kits for my wife and myself, and also a large general purpose trauma/emergency bag for treating multiple types of injuries besides GSWs.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

+1 on Caleb Causey and Lone Star Medics. http://lonestarmedics.com/

I took his Medicine X EDC http://lonestarmedics.com/medicine-x-edc/ class and it was worth the effort and the money. It covered everything I learned as a certified US Army combat life saver except for actually sticking the intravenous needle. And there was actual shooting!! Caleb covered the pros and cons of several devices and we got to play with them.

I'm the guy in the white shirt and camelback.
http://blog.krtraining.com/medicine-x-e ... -2017-aar/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:32 pm I would very strongly recommend that, if you are not already certified in a 1st responder capacity, you should take an advanced first aid class of some kind. I don’t know what’s available in your specific area, but up here in DFW, Caleb Cousey’s Lonestar Medics has a Medics II and Medics I field medicine classes. Medics 1 is a two-day class which covers a broad array of problems, from sucking chest wounds and other penetrating trauma, to heat stroke and poison ivy.

The reason I recommend it (besides the obvious training you’ll get), is that you’ll have a MUCH better idea of what you want in a first aid kit. Also, Caleb - or any other competent instructor - will be able to point you to good sources for the items you wish to purchase. From that knowledge, I made up IFAK kits for my wife and myself, and also a large general purpose trauma/emergency bag for treating multiple types of injuries besides GSWs.
:iagree: I took one of Caleb's single day classes and built my own kit based on the things that he recommended. I recently took the "Stop the Bleed" class as a refresher for some of the information.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

Plus 2 on "Caleb's single day classes". It's Plus 2 because Deb & I both took it. Well worth the time and money.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Topic author
LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Thank you for the great suggestions so far. I'm south of Houston so the classes are a bit too far away but I'll keep them in mind just in case.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

LDB415 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:14 am Thank you for the great suggestions so far. I'm south of Houston so the classes are a bit too far away but I'll keep them in mind just in case.
Caleb Causey usually holds a class at KR Training once a year. The last one was Nov 10. Keep an eye on the schedule. https://krtraining.com/schedule.html
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “Off-Topic”