"They Shall Not Grow Old"

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Re: "They Shall Not Grow Old"

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:12 pm What impressed me, apart from the colorizing of the film, was the use of lip-readers:

"Since many of the men in the film are speaking, Jackson wanted to include what they most likely were saying. Forensic lip readers provided a transcript, which was then reenacted by British actors, who, in order to get the accents right, were from the same regions as the soldiers would have been."
Not only that, but they figured out what regions the soldiers would have been from by zooming in real close on the uniforms for clues from the unit patches and uniform styles. It was apparently common at the time for a regiment to be more or less a locally organized thing, so that nearly all the men enrolled in its ranks would be from the same region. So if the unit insignia said the soldier was from the Liverpool Rifles, he likely had a Liverpool accent.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The movie is back again for a limited engagement. I missed it the first go 'round, but got my tickets this time.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/th ... Jn82C2c8
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

puma guy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:50 pm The movie is back again for a limited engagement. I missed it the first go 'round, but got my tickets this time.

Let us know what you think! It was a really cool movie.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:45 am
puma guy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:50 pm The movie is back again for a limited engagement. I missed it the first go 'round, but got my tickets this time.

Wow! I thought it was great. The technology was impressive, but the story was the most important aspect for me. The 3D, Colorization and audio enhancements made the stories come to life. Interesting to me were the comments about how the returning veterans were treated. I stayed for the comments from the director at the close of the film. It explains the passion and compassion he displayed in making the film. I would love to see him tackle similar projects with films on the air and naval wars of that time.

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G26ster »

puma guy wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:50 pm

Wow! I thought it was great. The technology was impressive, but the story was the most important aspect for me. The 3D, Colorization and audio enhancements made the stories come to life. Interesting to me were the comments about how the returning veterans were treated. I stayed for the comments from the director at the close of the film. It explains the passion and compassion he displayed in making the film. I would love to see him tackle similar projects with films on the air and naval wars of that time.
No info on their site on when, where to see. Frustrating!!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

G26ster wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:42 pm

It was a very limited engagement back in December and I think this showing was the same. One day only, back by popular demand. Hopefully it will return for additional showings. It is well worth seeing so keep an eye out fro it.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

G26ster wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:42 pm

The movie is back at AMC Theaters with multiple dates and showings.

https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/they ... -old-58936

TXHawk
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TXHawk »

oljames3 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:17 pm In Austin, all of the theaters showing this movie are posted 30.06. I'll find another way to see it.

Can we build the wall.....around Austin. :roll:
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
Thomas Jefferson

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

Just fyi, it is showing up on vudu already tor preorder, so my guess is it will be coming to streaming sites soon. I have it in my wishlist to watch when that happens. Thanks for the reviews.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Did this movie get any Oscar nominations? I bet not.
-Ruark

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Ruark wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:53 pm Did this movie get any Oscar nominations? I bet not.
No, but it has won international awards.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

RicoTX wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:06 am Just fyi, it is showing up on vudu already tor preorder, so my guess is it will be coming to streaming sites soon. I have it in my wishlist to watch when that happens. Thanks for the reviews.
I hope it gets broader venues, but being that its in 3D make it worth seeing on a theater screen.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Saw it today at Alamo Drafthouse New Braunfels. Very powerful and extremely well done. It's playing there for a few days. Was only 2D though.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

I saw it yesterday, 2/5/19, at the Wind River Cinema in Denton.

The raw material consisted of 100 hours of WWI video, and 600 hours of WWI veteran interviews.

The director had a huge job to produce this super film.

Although England's legal age to join the army was 19, they were taking boys of 15-18, and fudging their ages in the records.

A surprising fact from the movie was that the initial version of tanks were produced in large numbers. One battle included 320 of these new armored beasts.

I''m hoping that the director will make further films about WWI air forces, as well as naval forces.

Keep in mind that if he moves ahead to WWII, there will be even more high quality video available.
Of course, one of our family's favorites was the "Victory at Sea" series (1950's? 1960's). That was also awesome, especially because we won. :-)

A sad lesson that should have been obvious earlier was that massed infantry attacks against entrenched machine guns were sheer folly.

Everybody that can do so: this movie is highly recommended. Also stay for the last part, where the director explains how he and his team made this happen. Technology is wonderful.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

Update: You can buy this now on Amazon or Vudu for around $10 digitally or on DVD.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Return to “Off-Topic”