"They Shall Not Grow Old"

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 4

"They Shall Not Grow Old"

Post by ELB »

This seems interesting enough that I scheduled an afternoon off and grabbed two tickets for the Dec 27 showing in San Antonio. Just in time too, two of the three theaters in SA showing it were already sold out and the third was half gone.

Very limited showings, all appear to be at 1pm on Dec 27 in cities across the US. There were showings yesterday as well, but I didn't know of this until today. :waiting:

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/ ... ow-old.php

How Peter Jackson Made WWI Footage Seem Astonishingly New

It appears the full video may be in YouTube as well, but from what I'm reading you need to see it in a theater to get its full impact.

As far as I know, you have to get tickets (in the US) from this site: https://www.fathomevents.com/events/the ... t-grow-old
USAF 1982-2005

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Re: "They Shall Not Grow Old"

Post by oljames3 »

In Austin, all of the theaters showing this movie are posted 30.06. I'll find another way to see it.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:08 pm I watched this last night - not bad at all. The color only starts about 25 mins in, though, so don't be startled.
Did you watch it on YouTube? I tried to buy tickets last night. There’s a local theater listed in Hurst that is supposed to be showing it, but there’s no link to advance purchase tickets on the link that ELB provided ... at least not for that theater.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:50 am There’s a local theater listed in Hurst that is supposed to be showing it, but there’s no link to advance purchase tickets on the link that ELB provided ... at least not for that theater.
I just went to the link, and it shows three locations for Hurst Texas, and one of the location has two showings. I didn't check to see if any are sold out.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/the ... t-grow-old

Make sure you put "Hurst TX", or the zip code, in the search box.
USAF 1982-2005

The Annoyed Man

ELB wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:11 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:50 am There’s a local theater listed in Hurst that is supposed to be showing it, but there’s no link to advance purchase tickets on the link that ELB provided ... at least not for that theater.
I just went to the link, and it shows three locations for Hurst Texas, and one of the location has two showings. I didn't check to see if any are sold out.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/the ... t-grow-old

Make sure you put "Hurst TX", or the zip code, in the search box.
I did do the search by zip code, but I was on an iPad, so maybe it requires a full-scale browser. I'll check on my laptop.

Edited to add: The laptop worked fine. I got 1pm reservations at the Cinemark Tinseltown in Grapevine .... in 3D, no less.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Good deal! Enjoy the show!
USAF 1982-2005

rdcrags

Post by rdcrags »

Just viewing the trailer: "stunningly alive and vividly transformed" are truly understated. Amazing, what they have done with those old films! The big screen must be something, indeed. We must not forget the message: hard fought freedoms. New generation: pay attention, or, as you say today, listen up!
TX CHL 1997

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Enjoyed the afterword by Peter Jackson talking about the processes they used in production. An interesting experiment in film preservation/restoration. I hope that work is continued by some organization. Saw the early showing today, then drove over to the next town to catch "Welcome to Marwen" which was an interesting followup. I learned 1) about "cow-lateral damage" and 2) that Steve Carell is capable of far more as an actor than most of his previous roles have called for.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

The Annoyed Man

My wife and I saw it yesterday afternoon. I don’t really know how to describe it except in generic terms like “Amazing” and “Stunningly Good”, but it’s not quite like entertainment, nor is it quite like education. I was transfixed, and enjoyed it temendously. I would advise anyone to see it - especially young people who have no real connection to their past. It’s been just 100 years since the end of WW1 - long for one human life, but not very long in historical terms. Imagine if someone had been able to give the Civil War the same kind of cinematic treatment in 1965, as Jackson was able to do in 2018 for WW1.

I think that, if I was left with one overriding impression after viewing this movie, it was to be reminded of just how great an evil war is ... even when it is just, necessary, and unavoidable.

#TINVOWOOT

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

How can one see the movie now? I missed the first showing and had oral surgery yesterday (put under and groggy the rest of the day).

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Hopefully one of the sponsoring organizations will make it available on the net.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

I saw it yesterday too, well worth the trip and an outstanding documentary. Knowing how it was put together, and that the soundtrack was very nearly all actual WWI vets talking about their experiences really contributed to the impact.

My father was born in 1918, and I believe that kept my grandfather out of the war. So although it's been 100 years, it still seems within "reality" for me, not like trying to imagine the Roman empire wars or something similar. I would go watch it again in a theater if it were available.

I believe there are dvds and video streams of it available in Europe already, in the European format, but not yet in the USA. I expect they will show up soon now that the theater dates have passed.

p.s. p.s. And I saw why British dentistry got such a bad rap. Wowser.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Off-Topic”