Don't Be Stupid

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 1

Don't Be Stupid

Post by thatguyoverthere »

... it can upset people and could get somebody hurt.

Here' an example. On a road trip across several states to see family over Christmas, we stopped at a small convenience store for gas and snacks. My wife and I both went into the store after I pumped the gas. Just as we were placing our goodies on the counter, the young female clerk looked toward the main door directly behind me and said "oh SHOOT!" (or words to that effect). She immediately started screaming and RUNNING toward the room behind the counter. My wife and I both turned toward the door, just as my wife grabbed my arm and squeezed up close to me. I had just started the thought to clear my jacket to either just put my hand on my pistol, or to actually pull it (hadn't decided which yet at that point).

The reason for all this was because an adult male had just walked into the store while wearing a full face covering clown mask.

Fortunately, another girl in the back had heard the commotion and had stuck her head around the corner to see what was going on. When she looked for a moment, she yelled out (to the other girl I suppose) "it's my DAD!" Then the clown took his mask off, started laughing, and walked back out the door. The girl clerks apparently thought it was funny, too, as they were laughing now also. My wife and I didn't think it was too funny at all.

I should have chewed them ALL out for such a stupid stunt (dad for doing it [before he got away], and the girls for thinking it was funny), but I was so PO'ed by this time, that we just turned and walked out, without saying a word.

As upset as I was at the doofus, after I calmed down a little, I was less than thrilled with my own reactions also. For one, I should have responded quicker; I didn't immediately see the guy as a potential threat. I hesitated a moment when I first saw him, thinking to myself "why would a guy wear a clown mask into a c-store?" Well, DUH!

And it was just accidental that my wife was on my weak side when she clamped down on my arm (a natural startle reaction). It she had been on my strong side, that definitely would have interfered with my draw if it had come to that. Lesson: be more intentional about where she and I are in relation to each other, at ALL times.

And, when the girl in the back yelled out that it was her dad, I relaxed; I dropped my guard. But the guy still had the mask on at that time. What if the girl had been wrong and it wasn't her dad, but really was somebody with evil (and not just stupid) intentions? Lesson: keep your guard up until you KNOW it's safe!

Finally, it's probably better that I didn't, but I REALLY regret not chewing that guy out royally! Really, really stupid and potentially dangerous stunt for a guy who was clearly old enough to know better.

But I guess it turned out to be a good drill in the end; it did give me some things to work on anyway.

And finally, I hope Doofus doesn't get himself killed from being stupid.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Don't Be Stupid

Post by Jusme »

A lot of people don't think things through before doing them. That type of prank could easily get someone shot and killed, and the shooter could face charges, when it is revealed to be a prank. he never stopped to think how his appearance would, or could be judged, by the public, especially those who are new in town a d don't know the people involved.

I'm glad it turned out with no bloodshed, and as you stated, after reflection, it provided a learning experience. I'm sure the owners of the store, would not find his act funny, especially if it caused one clerk to leave the counter unattended, with customers in the store. He could easily cost his daughter her job.
I'm glad you mentioned your wife being on your weak side, it took my wife a while to understand why I don't holds hands with my strong hand, but I know that in a scary moment, her hand would turn into a vise grip, and seveey limit my drawing ability.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

To be 100% honest, I wouldn’t have immediately been at such a high alert at just a clown mask. I get it, it could be a facial covering for a robbery. At the same time it could just be a guy playing a prank. Worth chewing someone out over? Definitely not. I think a lot of people get WAY too caught up in defending themselves. There’s a fine line between being prepared, and living your life so stressed out about something happening to you that you can’t enjoy life. I carry a gun to protect myself, but I’m also fully aware that if it’s my time to go then it’s my time to go. Not trying to take shots at anyone, just my 2 cents.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Glad that worked out. Could have been really bad.

We travelled this past week. I almost always refuse to stop at a connivence store rather electing Walmart etc...

I don’t want to take the thread off track, but in case anyone is interested there is a great app to use when traveling that will let you know what type of neighborhood you are in. It is called Crime & Place. Just another tool to help you be alert to your surroundings.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

jb2012 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:27 pm To be 100% honest, I wouldn’t have immediately been at such a high alert at just a clown mask. I get it, it could be a facial covering for a robbery. At the same time it could just be a guy playing a prank. Worth chewing someone out over? Definitely not. I think a lot of people get WAY too caught up in defending themselves. There’s a fine line between being prepared, and living your life so stressed out about something happening to you that you can’t enjoy life. I carry a gun to protect myself, but I’m also fully aware that if it’s my time to go then it’s my time to go. Not trying to take shots at anyone, just my 2 cents.
I'm sure that just seeing someone in clown mask, would not have put the OP, on high alert, but with the added, reaction of the clerk, the unfamiliarity, of the location, etc. He reacted properly. I know my SA increases dramatically, when in unfamiliar environs. I am not on a hair trigger, and don't keep my hand on my gun, but, as the OP stated, I make sure, my strong hand is free, I scan the area, and trust my instincts if something looks hinky. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “Off-Topic”