criminal procedure law patients

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bbhack
Posts in topic: 2

criminal procedure law patients

Post by bbhack »

https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/06/he-a ... -confined/

Commitment still exists. It's just extremely rare.
Eighteen years is enough, said William “Bill” Sutherland.

Sutherland has been confined to state psychiatric centers since October 2000, when he pleaded "not responsible by reason of mental illness" to a felony arson charge. Fire investigators said he started a fire that caused $100,000 damage to an apartment house at 857 Delaware Ave., owned by Buffalo businessman Carl Paladino.

The building was occupied by about 15 people, police said, but no one was injured.

Sutherland’s “not responsible” plea enabled him to avoid prison, but a judge ordered him held in the custody of the state Office of Mental Health for at least six months.

Six months in a psychiatric hospital turned into 18-plus years.
According to state officials, there are approximately 495 inpatients like Sutherland confined to New York psychiatric facilities
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: criminal procedure law patients

Post by rotor »

I read the same article you did. I don't see that the state made a mistake in this case. There are crazy people out there and this guy is one of them.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

So he would have been let out if sent to prison so he could burn another place down and maybe kill a few people the second time around. His mistake in his plea was societies good fortune.

Topic author
bbhack
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bbhack »

rotor wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:05 am I read the same article you did. I don't see that the state made a mistake in this case. There are crazy people out there and this guy is one of them.
My post was judgement free. I trust the state doctors in this case.

I do think deinstitutionalization was a big mistake.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Return to “Off-Topic”