OH: School kicks SRO off campus for writing principal a ticket

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Re: OH: School kicks SRO off campus for writing principal a ticket

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The school districts' response doesn't mention any disciplinary action for the Superintendent who abused her power.

I also liked this tidbit
A school spokesperson said the district employee moved the vehicle when asked.
Yeah. Kinda beside the point. You break the law, you get a ticket. Period.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:01 pm
ELB wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:59 pm Both the overhead satellite view and the street view on Google Maps show a blue SUV/van parked on the diagonal striping between the handicap parking spots.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Jeffe ... 80.8324625
FYI - Street view shows it parked there on what appears to be after school or during the summer. Might have been there during class and this is just late in the day, but this screams of entitlement...
AFAIK, there is not a time when parking in or blocking handicapped spots is legal like for certain parking areas along some streets. So, I don't think the time of day or whether school is in session or not matters, but I could be wrong.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

C-dub wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:26 pm
ELB wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:59 pm Both the overhead satellite view and the street view on Google Maps show a blue SUV/van parked on the diagonal striping between the handicap parking spots.

FYI - Street view shows it parked there on what appears to be after school or during the summer. Might have been there during class and this is just late in the day, but this screams of entitlement...
AFAIK, there is not a time when parking in or blocking handicapped spots is legal like for certain parking areas along some streets. So, I don't think the time of day or whether school is in session or not matters, but I could be wrong.
Correct- I was pointing out that she may not have chosen to park there while there is a legal space open two spots away... Or she (he?) might have.

Either way, it just screams of entitlement. Especially if the SRO asked you to not park there on several occasions, and you do it anyway. None of us would have gotten that verbal warning courtesy.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:48 am

Either way, it just screams of entitlement. Especially if the SRO asked you to not park there on several occasions, and you do it anyway. None of us would have gotten that verbal warning courtesy.
THAT I agree with! The school official was given every opportunity to change their behavior and didn't. They deserve the ticket and IMO disciplinary action from the school board! They should be demonstrating GOOD examples, not displaying obvious self-entitlement! :nono:
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Maxwell wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:15 am

THAT I agree with! The school official was given every opportunity to change their behavior and didn't. They deserve the ticket and IMO disciplinary action from the school board! They should be demonstrating GOOD examples, not displaying obvious self-entitlement! :nono:
If I had a student in that school I would be demanding a face to face meeting with the principal so we could have a talk about the importance of setting the right example for my kid. How can she possibly keep a straight face when she has to discipline any students for violating the rules in the future?

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

The satellite view shows the parking lot full and school busses along the curb behind the cars, but the blue SUV/van or whatever it is is parked on the diagonal striping.

Again, if she needs close-in parking to fulfill her duties why didn't she just designate one of the nearby parking slots as the principal's parking place? Blocking handicap access areas is just stupid arrogance.
USAF 1982-2005

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Post by philip964 »

The 1st revision to the ADA required a wider striped area for van type vehicles. This was for side discharge. It is the same width as a regular parking space less 6”. It does not have a sign in front of it saying handicapped. This striped area also normally has the curb ramp, so it would actually be much better if the principal parked in the actual handicapped space rather than blocking the curb ramp.

In my opinion the ADA requires too many spaces at places like schools, shopping centers and office buildings, but not enough at hospitals, medical buildings, cafeterias and retirement homes.

This leads to valuable real estate being wasted and violations like we have here.

In any event bad for the Principal to set a poor example.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:22 am
Maxwell wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:15 am

If I had a student in that school I would be demanding a face to face meeting with the principal so we could have a talk about the importance of setting the right example for my kid. How can she possibly keep a straight face when she has to discipline any students for violating the rules in the future?
:iagree:
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Oh that is rich!
Psalm 91:2

TimLanders

Post by TimLanders »

LATEST: Superintendent Offers Weak 'Apology' For Kicking Cop Out Of School

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter ... ZFQv3gH1A/

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Jason Todd wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:43 pm
philip964 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:22 am In my opinion the ADA requires too many spaces at places like schools, shopping centers and office buildings, but not enough at hospitals, medical buildings, cafeterias and retirement homes.
I can't find where the United States Constitution gives the Federal Government power to regulate parking spaces. Can anybody help?
It doesn't... However Texas has the "Texas Accessibility Standards" or TAS that mirrors the ADA at the state level, and very much within our constitutional authority to do so.

Return to “Off-Topic”