VT: Fire destroys barn & house while ammo supply cooks off.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

VT: Fire destroys barn & house while ammo supply cooks off.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/ ... 9990069154

The above link is out of Shelburne, Vermont. The firefighters had to run hoses 3,800 feet (.71 of a mile) to the site.

The same property had a serious fire previously, but this time both the house and the barn were lost.

No word on the quantity or style of ammo involved.

Shell casings flew only 30-40 feet from the barn? It seems like they would fly further. < or is it farther?>

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: VT: Fire destroys barn & house while ammo supply cooks off.

Post by C-dub »

Without a barrel to go through or a chamber to explode from, exploding ammunition doesn't go very far or have very much energy to be of any serious danger. Of course, a lot of it going off at once would be an issue, but individual rounds don't really cause that big of a problem.

Aren't shell casings lighter than the bullet, so wouldn't they fly further when cooking off on their own?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

https://saami.org/publications-advisori ... refighter/

This is a video from SAAMI, the US ammunition standards association, showing what actually happens when ammo burns. It's NOT some huge explosion, and C-dub is mostly correct.

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

That's a good video, thanks for sharing.

I'd like to see a test done on a chambered handgun and rifle subjected to the temperatures found inside of a typical residential fire. I assume that I know what would happen, but I'd like to see it proven.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

KLB

Post by KLB »

It seems like they would fly further. < or is it farther?>
Farther.

Farther relates to distance: The casings would fly farther.

Further relates to degree: If you give him a chance, he will argue his point further.

EXCEPT THAT, if you are a descriptivist instead of a prescriptivist, you'll say the distinction between the two is lost in that further can properly be used in place of farther.

Being a stick in the mud, I have prescriptivist tendencies, though I concede that, in the end, the descriptivists must win. :lol:

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Great video! Thanks for sharing!

I learned about exploding ammo at a young age as I knew a guy that knew a guy that shot .22LR ammo out of a wrist rocket slingshot. Of course I never did it myself but I... understand... the explosions were impressive to someone of that age and inclination...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

KLB wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:55 am
It seems like they would fly further. < or is it farther?>
Farther.

Farther relates to distance: The casings would fly farther.

Further relates to degree: If you give him a chance, he will argue his point further.

EXCEPT THAT, if you are a descriptivist instead of a prescriptivist, you'll say the distinction between the two is lost in that further can properly be used in place of farther.

Being a stick in the mud, I have prescriptivist tendencies, though I concede that, in the end, the descriptivists must win. :lol:
Well stated! I don't think you could have taken the explanation further... :mrgreen:
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

ScubaSigGuy wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:40 am That's a good video, thanks for sharing.

I'd like to see a test done on a chambered handgun and rifle subjected to the temperatures found inside of a typical residential fire. I assume that I know what would happen, but I'd like to see it proven.
Typical tempratures inside of a house fire range from 2000-1500 up near the ceiling
About 6ft from the floor ranges 1000 to 800
3ft it's 300 to 400
2ft to the floor around 250-150 degrees
This is why firefighter go in on their knees, the temperature near the floor is tenable if your in full protective gear and have an air pack on! Been there done that, I have seen crazy things firefighting!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

KLB:

Although I didn't look it up, I knew enough to question the further/farther choice.

In striving to find the most accurate word choices while writing, I usually rely on my CDO,
or as someone else has stated here: "it's OCD, but I prefer it in alphabetical order!"

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “Off-Topic”