Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup: March 7-10, 2019.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 3
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup: March 7-10, 2019.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

http://www.rattlesnakeroundup.net/calen ... ents1.html

The heading of the link states that the Roundup is only 3 days, March 8,9,10,
but when you read the event list below it, you find that there are actually some events going on starting March 7, 2019.

For several years I have made a road trip down to Big Bend during the same week that the Texas Cowboy Poetry Gathering is held at Sul Ross State University in Alpine. But this year I have other things going on, and wanted to take a multi-day road trip, but not as far as Big Bend.

Lewisville to Sweetwater is only 228 miles, so it's about a 3.5 hour cruise.

Something with which I have always been intrigued with was the Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup, so that's what I am finally going to see this year.

Can someone who has gone comment on the fun that goes on there?

I posted the above link so that anyone else who wants to visit a unique Texas event can plan to go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetwater,_Texas

This 2nd link details the history of Sweetwater, and its current day statistics.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup: March 7-10, 2019.

Post by longtooth »

SRO1911 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:39 pm Big flea market, lots of vendors, small carnival rides, typical state fair food booths, gun show where everything is priced to move (move back to the truck that brought it) and then theres the snakes.
The snake exhibits are pretty neat. There will be several demo areas set up where they milk the venom, skin and prep hides etc. Lots of rattlesnake merchandise, fried rattlesnake in the concession stand.
Plan on parking a good walk out or paying for better.

I used to go every year, sometimes as a guest and sometimes working a table - its a lot of fun but with the kids getting older and my wifes health not being ideal it seems the last few years there's always something else going on.
Agree across the board here. Been a long time for me. I am 69 and in Deep East Texas now so it would be a long drive for me. I remember the gun show being more reasonable but that has been a long time ago. Snake food, merchandise, and demos are all worth the whole trip for me.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Well, I just booked a room in Snaketown proper and I will visit there this coming Thursday and Friday, 3/7 and 3/8/19.

I just checked www.texas3006.com and the Nolan County Coliseum doesn't have any entries, so I will be open carrying while attending.

That way if a snake gets loose, I've got a chance! :-)

SIA

strogg

Post by strogg »

That looks neat. I wish I could go, but alas, I have this thing called a job... Haha. Well, you enjoy!

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed

Well, I was at Sweetwater this past Thursday and Friday. The Roundup is held the 2nd weekend of March every year. I would strongly suggest that everyone go next year, since this experience is quite unique. If you have children, they will remember this for years. If you just go as an adult, without children, YOU will remember it for years.

This event is run by the Sweetwater Jaycees, and they have done this since 1958, so everything runs very smoothly.

I expected to see a bunch of rattlesnakes, which was both creepy and educational. One of the surprises of this visit was the pageant to choose Miss Snake Charmer 2019. It was held on Thursday evening, in the Sweetwater Municipal Auditorium, which is a classic 1926 building. The 12 young women contestants ranged in age from 16-19. They were intelligent, talented, well-educated, composed, and confident.

The MC was very professional, and the production values of the event were quite nice, considering the area's small population. The event lasted for 3 hours, culminating in the awards and the crowning of the 2019 Miss Snake Charmer. I was quite impressed with all of the contestants. They had a lot of heart, and I wish they all could have won.

The gun show was a lot larger than I thought it would be. Yes, some of the guns were priced kind of high, while other vendors seemed to be offering about the same pricing as you would find in any large gun show, such as Dallas, Fort Worth, or Lewisville.

While in Sweetwater, I also visited the WASP Museum at Avenger Field. During WWII, women were allowed to be pilots of military planes here in the states, in order to free up men for war zone flying. Although the women got to fly, they generally got bad treatment from the US government, with regards to their pay, uniforms, lack of officer status, and other negative things. After WWII ended, the WASP records were sealed, and war historians had no ability to write at length about their service.

The WASP's lasted from about mid 1942 until December 1944. About 20,000 women applied to be WASP's. 1800 were accepted, 1084 graduated, and 38 died during their military careers.

The museum has vintage aircraft, vehicles, and biographies of these talented women. If you go to the Rattlesnake Roundup, or any time, the museum visit is a must-see.

SIA

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Well since spending my life walking into burning buildings, there is not many things that I'm afraid of, but discretion is the better part of valor! I just prefer to leave rattlesnakes where they are and only deal with them when they present themselves in an area where I have no choice and then a 12ga with 8 shot works well!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Return to “Off-Topic”