Blocking Spam Email

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
G26ster
Posts in topic: 6

Blocking Spam Email

Post by G26ster »

Well somehow the evildooing spammers are hitting me daily, multiple times. I am trying to block them by creating a rule in Outlook. Their typical email address is:

reply@Fei1xrahtik.date

The part I put in bold italics changes with each email.

I tried to create the rule saying block or delete reply@*.* but that didn't work. I am now trying reply@*.*.date
Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, their so-called "unsubscribe link" doesn't work and is bogus.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Blocking Spam Email

Post by Tex1961 »

First rule. NEVER hit the unsubscribe button on spam mail. All that usually does is tell them they hit a live email address.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

G26ster wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:53 pm Well somehow the evildooing spammers are hitting me daily, multiple times. I am trying to block them by creating a rule in Outlook. Their typical email address is:

reply@Fei1xrahtik.date

I tried to create the rule saying block or delete reply@*.* but that didn't work. I am now trying reply@*.*.date
Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, their so-called "unsubscribe link" doesn't work and is bogus.
Try setting the filter to block email from “*.date” (asterisk dot date)?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
G26ster

Post by G26ster »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:19 pm
G26ster wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:53 pm Well somehow the evildooing spammers are hitting me daily, multiple times. I am trying to block them by creating a rule in Outlook. Their typical email address is:

reply@Fei1xrahtik.date

Try setting the filter to block email from “*.date” (asterisk dot date)?

I'll try that. Thanks.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

You’re welcome. Let me know if it works.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
G26ster

Post by G26ster »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:26 pm You’re welcome. Let me know if it works.
Well, it didn't work TAM :???:

dhoobler

Post by dhoobler »

You are probably blocking the "reply-to" E-mail address, which is possibly not the address the message came from. Open up the header (how you do this depends on your mail client) and find the from address. Try to create a rule to block that address or the domain it came from.

BTW, blocking spam is one of the most frustrating tasks in the I. T. world. I used to do that as part of my job. I managed the spam filters that saw all inbound mail to my company. It is not as easy and as simple as one might think.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Topic author
G26ster

Post by G26ster »

dhoobler wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:08 am You are probably blocking the "reply-to" E-mail address, which is possibly not the address the message came from. Open up the header (how you do this depends on your mail client) and find the from address. Try to create a rule to block that address or the domain it came from.

BTW, blocking spam is one of the most frustrating tasks in the I. T. world. I used to do that as part of my job. I managed the spam filters that saw all inbound mail to my company. It is not as easy and as simple as one might think.
The only address I can find in Outlook is the one displayed in the email. Unless, there's a way that I have been unable to find.

TomWalsh

Post by TomWalsh »

"You are probably blocking the "reply-to" E-mail address, which is possibly not the address the message came from. Open up the header (how you do this depends on your mail client) and find the from address. Try to create a rule to block that address or the domain it came from."
Hmm, that might be the case.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

dhoobler wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:08 am.

I am about this | | close to going to a white list. If you are not on the list you dont get through. I currently use SPAMHAUS for my block list.
Even with that I still get 10 to 15 spam messages per day. But I've had the address a long time it's a real short address and I like to use it so. I may actually have to go to a whitelist

To the original poster what version of Outlook or what email clients are you using? you need to be able to look at the headers of the message. I can tell you how to do it if you can tell me what email client you're using.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

rotor

Post by rotor »

I get my email through a road runner account. Talk about blocking, they have a settings area for you to place either an email address or even a whole domain in and supposedly it will block it....except it doesn't work. So, I give up and just hit the delete button.
One would think as simple thing like a block would be easy for a service provider but they just don't care.

Topic author
G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Syntyr wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:02 pm
dhoobler wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:08 am.

I am about this | | close to going to a white list. If you are not on the list you dont get through. I currently use SPAMHAUS for my block list.
Even with that I still get 10 to 15 spam messages per day. But I've had the address a long time it's a real short address and I like to use it so. I may actually have to go to a whitelist

To the original poster what version of Outlook or what email clients are you using? you need to be able to look at the headers of the message. I can tell you how to do it if you can tell me what email client you're using.
My email is roadrunner. i use Outlook for viewing and sending. I Googled how to block, and found its darn near impossible. Best suggestions were to relegate the emails to junk folder in Outlook and let Outlook learn the patterns to relegate automatically to junk. So thats what I've done with all the deleted emails. Moved them from deleted to junk.

Topic author
G26ster

Post by G26ster »

G26ster wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:24 pm Best suggestions were to relegate the emails to junk folder in Outlook and let Outlook learn the patterns to relegate automatically to junk. So that's what I've done with all the deleted emails. Moved them from deleted to junk.
IT WORKED! Spam is now going directly to my Junk folder. Looks like Outlook is a fast learner. Now I have to see how to prevent it from going to my tablet.

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

I use MailWasher, you open it and check all for delete, then uncheck those you want to keep. Then click Wash and it deletes all spam or unwanted emails, then opens your email program downloading only those you choose to keep.

Return to “Off-Topic”