I am not going to buy a gun today!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
southernscope86
Posts in topic: 3

I am not going to buy a gun today!

Post by southernscope86 »

Stopped by the Cabelas in Allen today to just look. Under no circumstances was I going to buy a gun, no matter how great the deal. This close to Valentine’s Day! The wife would explode!

Started my walk straight to the gun counter, I even ignored 2 phone calls (work related). I always do the same thing ever time. I start inspecting the used long guns just out side of the room i dare not enter, for fear of financial devastation. As usual, the long guns never have a diamond in the rough. Half of the inventory can be found at any decent pawn shop for a fraction of the cost.

I repeat to my self “See, Bowman. You are not gonna buy a gun today.” As I begin to make my way around the NICS check out counter I see the used gun case. It has more inventory then last weeks insepction. Did I mentioned I frequent this store every Wednesday?

As I approach I hear the staff behind the counter complain about aches and pains. Sounds like the flu to me... “Mental note, those three shall not hand me nothing.” I politely say hi and dodge their request to show me a firearm.

I begin scanning the inventory row by row, majority of the handguns are a result of .40 going to the wayside.

Upon first inspection I find nothing! See, I am not going to buy a gun today!

I slowly walk down the counter mentally price checking the offerings. Cabelas by no means is the place that is going to have a bettter deal than Grabagun.com or any of the other online FFL’s. I Make it all the way down to the Glocks. I sure don’t need another one of those. At the end of the counter was a Cabelas employee. He too was aware of the other 3 that surly had the Flu or the beginnings of something nobody wants.

I get close enough to read the name tag...”Ken”. He was a older gentleman who was happy to talk about guns. We exchange our hello’s and I begin to make one more pass. I get back down to the used section. I find it odd that Cabelas does not take the time to clean any trade-in’s prior to putting them in the case. If you are gonna overcharge for a used firearm at least let it be a clean one.

Just as I was about to congratulate myself on not buying a gun, a clean, near perfect, 92FS handle catches my eye. Being 32 the whole M9 phase missed my generation. Only striker fired guns where in my sights. My curiosity got the best of me. I had to see this gun. Not because of what it was but simply it was CLEAN! I Look up to see Patient Zero starting me in the face.... “ You wanna see something?” Muffled out of his mouth as he was trying his best not to sneaze a billion germs my direction. I quickly retreat back to Ken....

Ken was now explaining to two men, “you have to fill out a 4473! No your buddy can’t do it for you!” After the two men stepped back to replan their extremely flawed approach. I asked Ken “ Could you get something out for me?” We walk back to the end of the counter both keeping our distance from the Spider Monkeys (Outbreak, 1995).

Ken unlocks the sliding door and I begin guiding his hand like a vending machine claw trying to retrieve a stuffed animal. He finally places his hand on the correct handgun and brings up for my inspection.

Before he ever hands it over he too realizes that the gun is in immaculate condition. Ken, hands me the gun and says “If, it has been fired, it couldn’t of been more then 50 rounds.”

I being to inspect all the normal areas that reveal the true age of the gun. The hood of the barrel, the locking block, feed ramp, and any majore scratches from heavy cleaning. Nothing! Not one scratch, mark of brass, or any thin spot on the finish.

But, I am not gonna buy a gun today is on repeat in my head. I then refocus my attention to the price tag.. 399.00...... I look up at Ken... “ I’ll take it!”

Like waking up from a deep slumber I find my self walking out the front door being handed the 92FS. Well crap, I bought a gun.
All the way home I played out a 1,000’s different scenarios in my head about how this was gonna go over with Mrs. Bowman.... It was like Dr. Strange in Infinty Wars.... I’m dead... yep. Thanos played by my wife is gonna snap her fingers and I will burst into ash.

I get home and quickly being to further inspect the handgun. It was perfect! Now what can I change on it?! Wilson Combat??? Yes, 400 to 700 bucks.... Crap! Maybe is i will just leave it stock for a bit... The way I see it, I won’t see the sun rise on the 14th any how.

Excited to show somebody my new toy, I take some pics and send them over to my Father-in-Law. (Don’t worry he won’t tell his daughter). I send the text and get no response.

About 5 minutes later he calls, “Looks Great!” Was the first words I hear over the phone. “How much?” $399.... “ Well if my daughter kills you tonight I want it to go to me.” Great! I am dead.... He then begins to tell me how much he loves 92’s and has been looking for a 2nd. He has had the image of Boondock Saints in his head and he wants another to the collection. He begins to tell me that he will be over to the house this Saturday and will bring 460 cash and take it off my hands..... “I didn’t buy a gun.” Played in my head using a Nixon voice....

Happy Valentines Day TCHLF! :coolgleamA:

strogg
Posts in topic: 2

Re: I am not going to buy a gun today!

Post by strogg »

The Beretta 92 series is an amazing gun. Some people think of them as unreliable hunks of metal, but they are actually very well made guns with a very sleek, Italian design.

I remember seeing a used M9 at a local pawn shop for $400 as well. It didn't look like it had any more than 1000 rounds through it (at least that's what I thought). It was obviously made a long time ago, but it was in amazing shape regardless. I didn't buy it, though. I resisted. It was tough. I was able to resist up to about 6 months until just a couple weeks ago. I now have a new primary carry. Haha. I've shot over 200 rounds through it so far in one range session, and somehow, it still looks like it is brand new. Normally, once I take a new gun out to the range just once, it's immediately apparent it's been shot. This one, though. It's weird. You just can't tell at all. The finish is still absolutely perfect. I see no slide wear on it whatsoever. Now I'm thinking the M9 that was at the pawn shop probably had a few thousand rounds through it if the finish was of the same quality.

Since then, I got myself a small dosage of Wilson parts to make the trigger pull and recoil better. New springs and guide rod with the shock buff thingy. I'm going to test it out this weekend. But dry firing and racking the slide feels immensely better. I can't wait.

Fortunately for my health and safety, I don't have a Mrs. Strogg to worry about, so I get to keep mine. Southernscope, I wish you the best of luck tomorrow, and I hope for your sake that SWMBO lets you keep yours. You'll absolutely love it. As far as pistols go, this is definitely in my top 3.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

I bought my 92FS several years ago. The Beretta finish has held up without any special care even though it lives in a kydex holster. Very accurate handgun but most of all it's a fun shooter.

I don't know about any reputation of unreliability, mine has been flawless and consistent. Thousands of rounds down range, of mostly WWB and WWB NATO. I hope you get to keep it, I should provide you with years of shooting enjoyment. Best of luck to you.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Southernscope you must remember this! When you buy a new gun keep it locked hidden and safe in your vehicle....here is the tough part leave there at least a week.......then when you bring it in the house and the wife says says did you buy a new gun? Your proper response is I've had this one awhile!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Tex1961 »

My downfall is Texas Gun Trader. My tastes change and while I am slowly closing in on that "Perfect" combination of guns that I want / like, I always seem to find something new and exciting....

Last year was a banner year for gun buying (not so much for my bank account).. I have put myself on a very strict gun diet this year (except for ammo)... So of course as I was perusing TGT yesterday what do I see.... Yep... One of the guns on my wish list.... Ruger Mark 4 Hunter in Stainless.... Sorry but that gun has called to me since it came out... I actually sold off my Mark 2 about 4 months back that I've owned for nearly 30 years because I had a Ruger SR22 that I bought last year.... Not that the SR22 isn't a nice little 22, but it's not the Mark 4....

The owner wanted $500.00 for it (came with 4 mags and nice Ruger soft case as well) .... Good deal.. Sure.... But... I have to keep true to the diet... Later on in the day as for some reason my browser somehow ended back on TGT... That Ruger was still there... Shoot... Why didn't somebody buy it already and save me the agony..... As I look at the description again, I saw something I missed before... "or looking for trades". WHAT !!!!

Now... somehow in the fog, my fingers seemed to have found the keyboard on their own and they typed out.. Would you be interested in a Ruger SR22 and some cash...... They hit send but I knew that he wouldn't be interested in the SR if he was getting rid of that big ol' Mark 4..... Well Crap.... 1 minute later my email dings.... Yes... I want it and when can you meet.... Aww man.... that wasn't supposed to happen.... He was supposed to say No and I could feel good about myself for keeping to my diet while letting my inner gun child happy knowing I tried to score....

So.. Everyone.... I'd like to present my new baby....
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (4.5 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
:drool:

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

Ever Since BassPro took over Cabela's their prices have increased significantly. Plus they took away the verteran's discount. I do like to browse the Fort Worth Cabela's and have GrabaGun's website open on my iPhone to see what the price difference is. In some cases Cabela's and Basspro will be $100 or more over GrabaGun.

I wait till the wife goes grocery shopping or sneak it in while she's upstairs so I can put new guns in the safe. That way when she sees it, I can say I've had it awhile. :)
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

jason812

Post by jason812 »

crazy2medic wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:10 am Southernscope you must remember this! When you buy a new gun keep it locked hidden and safe in your vehicle....here is the tough part leave there at least a week.......then when you bring it in the house and the wife says says did you buy a new gun? Your proper response is I've had this one awhile!
It also helps when you have so many and she doesn't know what you have and you can walk in and she doesn't say anything. That or she knows and now is just use to it and doesn't say anything. I have learned wives are like parents, they know more about what you do than they let you know. :biggrinjester:
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Tex1961 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:33 am So.. Everyone.... I'd like to present my new baby....

Unknown.jpeg

Nice choice, please share how you like shooting it. I've been looking at that model for a bit while looking at .22 pistols.

I hear you on the strict gun diet this year. I bought a couple last year and dropped a pile of money on ammo, accessories and a reloading setup so I'm trying to behave this year.

My tastes in guns change too so right now I am fixated on wheel guns. I really want a .44 Mag to go with my Ruger Carbine so I am saving my pennies. Brownells had a great deal on a 629 not that long ago that was hard to pass on but I did.

My list of gun wants is pretty long and many are surplus rifles (K31, etc) so it's been difficult to stay disciplined. I've been trying to change my mindset to be content with what I have and not go looking for that next dopamine fix by buying yet another gun. That's actually been pretty successful so far.
Psalm 91:2

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Gunbroker, steals my money and send me my fix! I cannot resist.
At Cabelas' in Allen, I only purchased 2 firearms since they opened. Don't ask me about Gunborker. Did I say they steal my money?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

howdy

Post by howdy »

I too have a 92FS. It is to big to carry so it sits in my handgun safe under the bed. I use it (along with a 6" Taurus revolver) for my every other year instructor re-qual . Both guns are extremely accurate.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Tex1961 »

SQLGeek wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:28 am
Tex1961 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:33 am So.. Everyone.... I'd like to present my new baby....

Unknown.jpeg

Nice choice, please share how you like shooting it. I've been looking at that model for a bit while looking at .22 pistols.

I hear you on the strict gun diet this year. I bought a couple last year and dropped a pile of money on ammo, accessories and a reloading setup so I'm trying to behave this year.

My tastes in guns change too so right now I am fixated on wheel guns. I really want a .44 Mag to go with my Ruger Carbine so I am saving my pennies. Brownells had a great deal on a 629 not that long ago that was hard to pass on but I did.

My list of gun wants is pretty long and many are surplus rifles (K31, etc) so it's been difficult to stay disciplined. I've been trying to change my mindset to be content with what I have and not go looking for that next dopamine fix by buying yet another gun. That's actually been pretty successful so far.
I sure will.... I'm gong to try to hit the range tomorrow or Tuesday... I have a RMR on one of my 9mm's that I am thinking of pulling off and putting on it instead.

Here is something you might like for that Ruger Carbine.
Leather.png
Tan.png

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Very glad to learn that I am not alone in requiring a therapeutic intervention :biggrinjester:

Since my pledge to myself not to increase my collection I have added a gently used CZ Shadow2 9mm, another FNX .45 Tactical w/ thrded bbl, suppressor sights and co-witnessed RDS, a G26 Talo (stipled frame, night sights, cerekoated gray slide), a CMMG Banshee .45, and a G21 SF Limited Edition Military model with a pic rail, ambidextrous mag release, and night sights.

I feel that my recovery is proceeding quite nicely. :txflag:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Yeah that's on the list too.

:lol::

The carbine I have that needs a handgun companion is like this one.

Psalm 91:2

Topic author
southernscope86
Posts in topic: 3

Post by southernscope86 »

Update to the story, Was handed 460 cash, turned around and ordered a M&P 2.0 Compact. I really wanted to keep the 92FS. At least its still in the family if I ever wanted to borrow it.

BTW Gun.Deals.com has a compare model button that lets you see most of the online prices. Ordered it through a store in Georgia. No sales tax. With FFl and shipping cost looking at 390.00 out the door.

Return to “Off-Topic”