Houston firefighters pay raise

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
striker55
Posts in topic: 2

Houston firefighters pay raise

Post by striker55 »

The voters voted for a pay raise, the city doesn't want to honor it. The city wants to take it to court. I don't get it, if the issue was put on the ballot and passes how does the city even contest it? If it got turned down the city would be happy. Of course the city says it can't afford to give pay raises, I say the voters wanted it, raise the taxes to pay for it.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Houston firefighters pay raise

Post by C-dub »

They would rather pay people that are unwilling to work instead of people that actually work and earn their pay. Morons! I mean liberals!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Was there an approved tax increase to fund the raise?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
striker55

Post by striker55 »

bblhd672 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:58 pm Was there an approved tax increase to fund the raise?
Not that I know of, if the voters want the firefighters to have a raise where do they think the money will come from?
I'm questioning why put something on the ballot when the outcome doesn't go your way you take it to court?

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

The irony is that before long, if not already, fighting the required pay raise is going to cost the Citizens of Houston kingdom more in court and lawyers than it would to just pay it.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

DevilDawg wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:20 am The irony is that before long, if not already, fighting the required pay raise is going to cost the Citizens of Houston kingdom more in court and lawyers than it would to just pay it.
Welcome to government litigation - Where you get to pay your lawyer and you get to pay theirs too!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

bblhd672 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:58 pm Was there an approved tax increase to fund the raise?
NO!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

I am sure Houston firefighters are great people and I bet their union really pushed this but asking the electorate to approve pay raises is ridiculous. What about all of the support people who may work harder? They won't get the raise. Government employee raises shouldn't be decided by the electorate but should be a set scale such as a gs12 or whatever number system they use. We all have feel good employees that we would love to help but this should not be how they are payed. If the firefighters don't like their pay they can do what you and I do, get another job. I would bet they have a pretty good salary, benefit and retirement plan right now.

seph

Post by seph »

rotor wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:59 pm I am sure Houston firefighters are great people and I bet their union really pushed this but asking the electorate to approve pay raises is ridiculous. What about all of the support people who may work harder? They won't get the raise. Government employee raises shouldn't be decided by the electorate but should be a set scale such as a gs12 or whatever number system they use. We all have feel good employees that we would love to help but this should not be how they are payed. If the firefighters don't like their pay they can do what you and I do, get another job. I would bet they have a pretty good salary, benefit and retirement plan right now.
It's not about a pay raise for the firefighters, but instead about alligning their pay with police officers who are paid more. The vote was for pay parity between the departments.
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

rotor

Post by rotor »

seph wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:23 pm
rotor wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:59 pm I am sure Houston firefighters are great people and I bet their union really pushed this but asking the electorate to approve pay raises is ridiculous. What about all of the support people who may work harder? They won't get the raise. Government employee raises shouldn't be decided by the electorate but should be a set scale such as a gs12 or whatever number system they use. We all have feel good employees that we would love to help but this should not be how they are payed. If the firefighters don't like their pay they can do what you and I do, get another job. I would bet they have a pretty good salary, benefit and retirement plan right now.
It's not about a pay raise for the firefighters, but instead about alligning their pay with police officers who are paid more. The vote was for pay parity between the departments.
Is that a decision that should be made by the voting public? My point is that the salary of government employees should not be based on public opinion and popularity poles. If police officers are paid more then firefighters that don't like their pay can become police officers. If the city can't retain firefighters because of low pay then they will pay more. Supply and demand, not an advertising campaign aimed at the dumb public probably by a union. I say all of this without any real knowledge of the vote and whether unions pushed it or not so I may be completely out of bounds.

seph

Post by seph »

rotor wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:52 pm
Is that a decision that should be made by the voting public? My point is that the salary of government employees should not be based on public opinion and popularity poles. If police officers are paid more then firefighters that don't like their pay can become police officers. If the city can't retain firefighters because of low pay then they will pay more. Supply and demand, not an advertising campaign aimed at the dumb public probably by a union. I say all of this without any real knowledge of the vote and whether unions pushed it or not so I may be completely out of bounds.
Yes, the voting public (ie tax payers) do have the right to cast their vote to decide how much public employees (which are paid from tax dollars) are paid.
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

apostate

Post by apostate »

Hopefully the city of Houston will fund pay raises and bond repayment by raising sales tax rates, or by implementing a head tax on residents. It's only right for people who don't own property to pay their fair share of the bills, if they get to vote to raise spending.

The best way to directly vote on government spending is with direct financial contribution from the people who "vote" for higher pay for fire department, bigger ISD football stadiums, et cetera. Let's find out how they REALLY feel about the issues when they have to put THEIR money where there mouths are. :patriot:

rotor

Post by rotor »

seph wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:08 am
rotor wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:52 pm
Yes, the voting public (ie tax payers) do have the right to cast their vote to decide how much public employees (which are paid from tax dollars) are paid.
This makes pay raises a popularity contest and not based on merit.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Since when has any government job pay been determined on merit?

If most got paid what they merited they would starve.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “Off-Topic”