TAM got me to thinking.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jusme
Posts in topic: 8

TAM got me to thinking.

Post by Jusme »

TheAnnoyedMan, has been a mainstay, on this forum, for quite a while. He provides insight and inspiration, on a multitude of topics. He also has his own blog and it makes for some great reading.
A recent thread regarding boycotts, got me to thinking about the ineffectiveness, of some of our efforts to promote, our core beliefs, and ideals.

Some hope to use social media, threats of boycotts, even outright revolt, to achieve our objectives, of preserving the rights set forth, by our founding g fathers.
I don't utilize social media, with the obvious exception of this forum, to try to spread my beliefs, or expound on my Ideas, simply because, it desintegrates, into a name calling, war of words, and the old adage, of never arguing with an idiot, because I onlookers can't tell the difference, instantly comes to mind.
This forum is great, but it has its limitations, in that most of those who are members, already share many of the same beliefs. That just leads to an echo chamber.
Do boycotts work? Not in my experience. Remember when Disney decided to extend insurance benefits to same sex couples, back in the 80s? Religious leaders across the country swore to boycott their theme parks, movies, and products. I don't recall any loss of revenue for Disney. People have short memories. The NFL is still alive, after the National Anthem broohaha.
Revolt? Who are we going to invade? We found the enemy, and he is us.
Our shortfall has been years of complacency. Our rights, and priveleges, weren't all taken away in the 8 years BHO held office. They have been chipped away, a little at a time. Getting them back will take more time, possibly more than most of us have left, in this mortal coil.

What can we do? We must remain vigilant, we must put down our iPhones, laptops, and keyboards, and get involved. Go meet our neighbors, inspire them to see what is happening, not only to our 2A rights, but the entire Constitutional Republic. Drag them away from their couch watching CNN and show them what's really going on in this country. Organize grassroots political groups, locally. That is where the left is winning the war. Talk to high school and college students, they are being bombarded by left wing indoctrination techniques, aided by innatentive parents. Volunteer at church youth groups, or other youth organizations. Most important, teach your kids, and grandkids, all of the principal's we hold dear.

For those of you who use social media, I'm not saying abandon it, but don't get drawn into meaningless debates, or allow yourself to be seen, by those who may agree with you, as just another screaming lunatic.

We have locked our doors, covered our eyes and ears, allowed the left to teach our children, buried our heads in the sand for years, and we are just now discovering what it has cost us.
I am not ready to give up on this country, and if it means defending her with my life, so be it. The problem, is, the opposition, is not coming for us in tanks, or Humvees, but with college curriculum, and MSM disinformation.

I'll step down off my soapbox now.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TAM got me to thinking.

Post by joe817 »

Well put Jusme! Thanks for stating what I've been feeling for a long time. I just couldn't find the right words. Spot on my friend! :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Soapbox, Ballot Box and Cartridge Box... judicious use of the first two may go a long way toward preventing the need for the third. So, talk (and write), vote (in primaries as well as general elections) and keep your powder dry.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author
Jusme

Post by Jusme »

AndyC wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:04 pm Do boycotts "work"? I don't care - I'm simply not going to knowingly send money to people who vote against my/our interests, so I've been buying Wranglers instead of Levis for the past few years.
I have no issue with that, my point being, making fundamental changes, won't come through boycotts. Especially since 99% of the people, either don't know, or don't care about a particular company's stance on any given issue. When Chik FilA came out against gay marriage, members of the LBGT community, organized a boycott, and swore to bankrupt them. It was well publicized,and had national MSM coverage, but they are still in business, and I'll bet, there are several LBGT folks who eat there.

While we on this forum, and possibly others on other gun forums, may refuse to buy from certain companies, it won't change the hearts and minds of John Q Public. I think we need to spread the word one neighbor, one church member, one stranger in a supermarket at a time. And while it is an uphill battle fraught with well financed, brainwashed sycophants, we can't stay idle any longer.
JMHO

Topic author
Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Here is a video, by the founder of Project Veritas, that kind of gives an idea, of the reasons our country is in trouble. He describes the fear people have by going against the grain, and how they are perceived.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:18 pm Like I said: "I don't care. I'm simply not going to knowingly send money to people who vote against my/our interests"
And I not only have zero problem with this, I agree. My previous point was about “empty” boycott threats, and about destroying one’s own property out of anger against the object’s manufacturer.

If, for example, Ford Motor Company had done something to which I REALLY objected, I would certainly refuse to buy any Ford vehicles going forward. There ARE alternatives. But if I already owned a Ford vehicle and then Ford Motor Company subsequently did the objectionable thing, I wouldn’t sell my Ford; I wouldn’t burn my Ford to the ground; and I wouldn’t take it to the crusher. I would simply not buy another Ford when the time came.

There absolutely IS a place for voting with our wallets, and I practice that myself. I will not ever buy a Daimler Benz product because of their having been involved in the manufacture of death camp oven doors during WW2. I don’t want that stain on my soul. Depending on how this whole Benchmade thing plays out, I may never buy another Benchmade knife. What you’re saying Andy, that you’re not going to knowingly send money to people who vote against your/our interests, is absolutely valid. I’m just suggesting that maybe we don’t know for certain if those interests are being violated until we take the time to actually investigate what’s going on.

But we...I mean the editorial “we”...tend to jump on the outrage bandwagon too soon sometimes, at least in my opinion, and without having all the facts at hand. That’s why I deliberately chose the example of American made cars manufactured by UAW labor. Those workers may be individually conservative, and mostly vote the way I do, but their UNION DUES go to pay for every kind of leftist crapulence you can think of - INCLUDING things like pushing for gun control legislation. Every time you buy an American made car or truck, and I mean EVERY TIME, you contribute to the UAW’s attempts to abrogate your gun rights. So what are you going to do? Not “buy American”? Of course not. What it DOES mean is that not everything is black and white, and reflexive responses aren’t necessarily the SMART responses.

And speaking to Jusme’s point about whether or not our individual involvement will effect change - maybe it will, or maybe it won’t, but to me that’s irrelevant. If something is a matter of conscience, then I won’t violate my conscience; period; and that’s regardless of whether or not my protest is effective at stopping whatever it is I am objecting to.

One other comment.... I am sick to death and up to my eyeballs with virtue-signalling. It’s obnoxious when lefty snow-flakes do it, and I don’t like it any more when we do it. The statement: “I don’t own a [insert product here], but if I did, I would destroy it” is as empty as any SJW’s virtue-signalling. The absolute LAST thing any of us should want to sound like, is a redneck SJW.

That’s my 2¢.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:22 pm
AndyC wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:18 pm Like I said: "I don't care. I'm simply not going to knowingly send money to people who vote against my/our interests"
One other comment.... I am sick to death and up to my eyeballs with virtue-signalling. It’s obnoxious when lefty snow-flakes do it, and I don’t like it any more when we do it. The statement: “I don’t own a [insert product here], but if I did, I would destroy it” is as empty as any SJW’s virtue-signalling. The absolute LAST thing any of us should want to sound like, is a redneck SJW.

That’s my 2¢.

That was part of the point I was trying to make and you put it much more succinctly, than I did. Ranting and raving about businesses, that either publicly come out against want you stand for, is a waste of time. It is a non-starter for me. I'm sure if you look back through history, every major corporation, at one point or a other was on the wrong side of history. However, this nation was builtt on capitalism. Our very livelyhood, depends on jobs created by businesses, large or small. They hire people, from all walks of life, with different political views, religious beliefs, etc. I have no issue with anyone using their buying power, to make their point, but eventually, we will all be naked, hungry, on foot, and homeless, because there are people, at every company with whom we disagree. I simply don't have time to research all of them, because as I said, my meager contributions, won't change the way they do business, or what causes they support.

I'm also aware, that I cannot reach enough people, on a one to one basis, to effectively change the minds, and hearts of millions of people, who have been indocrinated, for decades, but, if I can effect change in my little corner of the world, perhaps it will inspire others, to do the same.

Just as a side note, and because my mind is bent that way, I was thinking, of creating a line of men's products, soaps, fragrances, hair products etc. and calling it "Toxic Masculinity" for the non- Soyboy in all of us. The shaving cream, would be chemically designed to instantly destroy any Gillette razors. :biggrinjester:

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

I don't know if boycotts work, but I do know that not long after I vowed to not shop at Dick's anymore, they reported a sharp drop in revenues and profits.

I have the Power! :anamatedbanana
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

The Annoyed Man

OneGun wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:25 pm I don't know if boycotts work, but I do know that not long after I vowed to not shop at Dick's anymore, they reported a sharp drop in revenues and profits.

I have the Power! :anamatedbanana
LOL. That was me, not you, silly. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

DEB

Post by DEB »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:22 pm

That’s my 2¢.
I believe Andy has it right on the target. If I disagree mightily about something/someone, I just don't use their business, whatever it might be.

As far as what TAM stated, I am that SJW Redneck. I took several of my $400 Benchmade knives and a sledgehammer. My wife asked me what I was doing and I told her I was going to beat these commie knives into plowshares. She stated quite succinctly that those knives weren't the only things about to get a beating. I quickly dropped the SJW and became just Redneck and meekly said Yes Ma'am. Just kidding Ya'll, although my wife could probably whup me, she hasn't done it yet.
Naw, I couldn't ever see spending the required money to purchase a Benchmade so I have been boycotting them for some time I reckon. I have bought Coldsteel and those are my EDC. During the early deployments, Coldsteel had several great knives at the Military Clothing Sales and I got hooked there. Going on to other company's making money while they were our enemy, I have owned a Suzuki motorcycle, they built subs during the great unpleasantness, I have also owned a Mercedes, they also built engines for the Panther and I believe the Luftwaffe during the same unpleasantness. When one reads how many companies made their money during the 1930-1945 time period, almost all had pretty dirty hands. Also, I work on post and most of the motorcycle sized batteries are made in Vietnam. So, there we are.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

The Annoyed Man

Jusme wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:28 pm Here is a video, by the founder of Project Veritas, that kind of gives an idea, of the reasons our country is in trouble. He describes the fear people have by going against the grain, and how they are perceived.

Thanks for posting that. I hadn’t seen it before.

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Jusme

Post by Jusme »

What? No potential partners, in my Toxic Masculinity men's products? :mrgreen:

Return to “Off-Topic”