Concord First Flight 2 March 1969

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TxD
Posts in topic: 1

Concord First Flight 2 March 1969

Post by TxD »

As a young aviator 50 years ago this event held a lot of excitement for me.
Someone said at the time that a man on horseback could travel about 75 miles in one day.
After this event a man could travel about 7,000 miles in one day.

Remembering now makes me feel kinda old.

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/lo ... 79926.html
Black Rifles Matter

Noggin

Re: Concord First Flight 2 March 1969

Post by Noggin »

My father's brother worked on the Project at Filton near Bristol in the UK. He arranged for our family to have a tour of the plant in the spring of 68 where the UK built prototype 002 was nearing completion. It certainly got me much more excited about aviation developments. If you had told me then that the average speed of aircraft crossing the Atlantic in the 21st Century would actually be slower than those in the 1960s I would not have believed you. Like most of my generation we feel sort of cheated out of the wonderful future that we were supposed to be getting in this century. The only thing that has exceeded our expectations of those days have been small computers and the www. I still feel cheated out of my flying car, jet pack, and Martian tourist resort.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

flechero

Post by flechero »

Noggin wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:39 pm I still feel cheated out of my flying car...
My grandfather was actually a test pilot for a flying car prototype, developed around 1950.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

i remember the huge fanfare we got in Dallas when the 1st concord came to deliver passengers to england...
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “Off-Topic”