Level of response

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Level of response

Post by Tex1961 »

So.... while waiting for a work process to finish, I was sitting at my desk perusing youtube.... Watched a video of a "for reference only" Lady... take a guys MAGA hat... The video goes on for a good while as the guy is asking repeatedly to get his hat back while the perp goes off ranting about all the things the SJW's rant about.... Fortunately all ends well as he gets his hat back and she goes to jail... Win Win in my book....

My question is. At what level do you escalate.... Do you get physical trying to take YOUR property back that was stolen from you... Do to try to engage with someone who's ideology is so far left of yours that you're never going to meet in the middle....

While I applaud the guy trying to be as calm and mature as possible and not cause more of a scene, I wonder if in that situation at what point my patience would have run out before I moved onto a physical response to gain MY STOLEN PROPERTY back...

What say you....

Actual incident starts around 4 minutes into the video.

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Level of response

Post by Middle Age Russ »

As with so many things, how I respond to someone stealing my property will largely be related to my feelings about the property itself and the circumstances of how it is being / was stolen. One thing to keep in mind always is that property is just that and can likely be replaced (insurance can be a help in this). Once time is gone it can't be replaced and then of course you cannot replace a life that is taken. So, when our property is stolen our actions should be predicated on a risk versus reward basis. What do we we risk -- time, money, freedom,etc... -- versus the reward of regaining our stolen property. Most of the time I hope good sense will prevail for me and I won't risk spending too much time, money and freedom to regain something I originally had.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

:iagree:

My response will also be dictated, by circumstance, property's value, either monetary, or sentimental, and what an escalated response, may lead to. There is probably no set answer, but an over reaction, for the type of situation described, was more than likely what the antagonist would want, to demonstrate how unhinged we are. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tex1961 »

Something that I should add to the original post... This as in so many other of these types of situations were started by the perp removing, striping, knocking, etc the hat off of the victim.... So not only are we dealing with theft of property but at the very least simple assault.... Robbery????

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

If they remove your hat from a table that's theft. If they remove your hat from your head that's robbery.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

cirus

Post by cirus »

What would I like to do? Back hand her and knock her grill out. :anamatedbanana What would I do? Since she took my hat and wasn't giving it back I'd probably take her purse or cell phone. Eye for an eye. :evil2:

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

I'm not going to escalate an issue over something as trivial as a hat. I'm also not going to just let someone get away with robbery if I can do something about it. I would notify law enforcement and let them deal with the thief. I would also likely attempt to follow and record video of the person that could be used against them.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

If it’s just a gimmy cap, I won’t escalate the issue past reporting it.
However, if it’s my dress cowboy hat, everyone in (Texas know you don’t mess with a mans hat) then it becomes a felony due to cost of hat. That and the fact it was a gift from my wife, I may go to the extreme.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

:iagree:

Ball cap = no biggie
100 X beaver = problem

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Flightmare wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:11 pm I'm not going to escalate an issue over something as trivial as a hat. I'm also not going to just let someone get away with robbery if I can do something about it. I would notify law enforcement and let them deal with the thief. I would also likely attempt to follow and record video of the person that could be used against them.
:thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Its just a hat. I have too many of them already. But assault and battery would another thing entirely.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I'd hope I'd have the presence of mind to fall down on the ground and start waling like they had just knocked the slobber out of me...make a big scene, and get the police involved.
NRA lifetime member

Return to “Off-Topic”