Wear seat belts - even in the back seat!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: Wear seat belts - even in the back seat!

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

"Life is hard. And it's really hard when you're stupid."
John Wayne.

There are many choices in life to be made. Anyone who does not wear a seat belt at all times when in a motor vehicle is an idiot. There.... I said it.

A study by Dallas County, Texas authorities some years ago found that many Hispanic families are superstitious about wearing seat belts as adults, or strapping their young children into car seats. They believe that by taking those active steps toward safety (in smart peoples' minds), they are actually increasing the chances that they will be in a car accident. Well, that's some seriously flawed magic reality thinking! Hence, Hispanics have a higher fatality rate due to avoiding proven safety measures.

Any time you read about a motor vehicle accident where the person died from being ejected from their vehicle, rest assured that it's about a 100% certainty that they were not wearing their seat belt. Why would anyone think that flying through the air to land on the roadway would be preferable to being correctly restrained inside a metal vehicle? Oh.....stupid has to be the only answer.

Have you ever had some objects sitting on your right front passenger seat, you make a moderate stop from speed, and notice those items crashing to the floor? How about people who leave objects on the package shelf (area under the back windshield in an automobile)? These become hurtful flying missiles when the vehicle is struck from behind, or quick deceleration is needed.

About a month or so ago, there was a motor vehicle fatality on Business 121, near Fish Hatchery Road/Holford Prairie Road, in Lewisville. A 46 year old Hispanic man was driving in his Ford Ranger, the accident happened, he was ejected from his Ranger and died. I'm sure he felt he was quite OK without wearing his seat belt, but the laws of physics were not kind to him.

Some safety messages from years back stated that as the driver of your vehicle, you are informally the captain of your vehicle. The vehicle doesn't move until everyone is buckled. It's pretty simple to increase your chances to live a long life in order to die in your sleep, and not becoming road pizza on some highway.

Some years ago a family from Georgia had taken a vacation to Florida. They had a healthy sized RV, but got in a serious accident. The family was unrestrained and died, apparently because the family was walking around in their spacious vehicle instead of being seated, and wearing their seat belts.

Over and out.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Years ago some organization brought a sled demo system to the local mall. It consisted of a moving car seat calibrated to 5 mph that hit a wall device and immediately stopped. Everyone who took the sample ride lurched forward enough to hit their heads on the well padded simulated dash. So even in a 5 mph crash without a seat belt one could not keep from lurching forward and having a head injury. Using a seat belt (not even a shoulder harness) nobody hit their heads on the padded dash. That was only 5 mph. Amazing and very convincing. Imagine a 30 mph crash.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:55 pm
oohrah wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:39 pm While federal law mandated all vehicles be equipped with seat belts in 1968, the first state mandatory laws were not enacted until 84-85, and some as late as the mid-90s.

Until then, there was no culture to wearing seat belts. I never did, until I was picking up a friend of mine at the airport in 1984. He happened to be an astronaut at that time. And the first thing he did when getting in was put on the seat belt, just like automatically. I was slightly embarrassed and put mine on as well. I have buckled up ever since. I figured, he being who he was, he knew something I didn't and I should pay attention.
I’m I the only one who thinks you should have name-dropped the heck out of that story? COME ON!!!! SPILL THE BEANS!!! Who was it?
:iagree:

The story made me smile though... Thanks.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

My first car was a 72 Chevy with a 2-piece seat belt. The shoulder part clipped on to the lap belt clip before inserting it into the buckle. Combine that with not having any adjustability on the shoulder height which made the shoulder belt annoying/uncomfortable to wear. For a long time I didn't wear any seat belt. Then the media campaign started and I started wearing the lap belt. Then "Click it or Ticket" got me wearing both belts. Now.... I can't imagine driving without a seat belt.

I don't ever have to remind my family to put on their belts. They just do it. Thankfully.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oohrah »

RoyGBiv wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:46 am
oohrah wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:39 pm While federal law mandated all vehicles be equipped with seat belts in 1968, the first state mandatory laws were not enacted until 84-85, and some as late as the mid-90s.

Until then, there was no culture to wearing seat belts. I never did, until I was picking up a friend of mine at the airport in 1984. He happened to be an astronaut at that time. And the first thing he did when getting in was put on the seat belt, just like automatically. I was slightly embarrassed and put mine on as well. I have buckled up ever since. I figured, he being who he was, he knew something I didn't and I should pay attention.
I’m I the only one who thinks you should have name-dropped the heck out of that story? COME ON!!!! SPILL THE BEANS!!! Who was it?

Thanks, OK, I'm not normally a name dropper, but since you asked - it was Charles Bolden. We were in the same squadron before he became an astronaut.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

oohrah wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:34 am
RoyGBiv wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:46 am

Thanks, OK, I'm not normally a name dropper, but since you asked - it was Charles Bolden. We were in the same squadron before he became an astronaut.
There are a few places in life where name dropping is appropriate. Being buddies with an astronaut, USMC Major General and NASA Administrator (all in one person!), is totally worthy of name dropping.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Bolden

:patriot:

TomV

Post by TomV »

I remember in HS physics we had to calculate the force a lap dog exerts when coming to a stop in a certain distance from a certain speed. Then we bumped that up to a baby in a lap. This was the late 80's.

I don't remember the exact numbers but I do remember it made an impression. The lap dog was in the hundreds of pounds. The baby was in the thousands.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Am I mistaken in thinking that Texas State Law require all persons in a vehicle to use seatbelts?
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

Maxwell wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:23 am Am I mistaken in thinking that Texas State Law require all persons in a vehicle to use seatbelts?
Only in the front seat, unless they're under 17 years old.

http://texascarlaws.com/seat-belt-laws/
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I remember the days before car seats, when babies traveled in laundry baskets. :shock:

Today that would be considered child abuse.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oohrah »

Pawpaw wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:48 am
Maxwell wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:23 am Am I mistaken in thinking that Texas State Law require all persons in a vehicle to use seatbelts?
Only in the front seat, unless they're under 17 years old.

http://texascarlaws.com/seat-belt-laws/
That page is out of date. All persons in a vehicle must wear a safety belt.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/director_staf ... atbelt.htm
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “Off-Topic”