Who's Next?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 1

Who's Next?

Post by thatguyoverthere »

A year or two ago we had all the discussion regarding why the IRS, the Social Security Administration, HUD, and many other Federal agencies needed to have their own internal police agencies, complete with tactical equipment, various rifles and other weapons and literally millions of rounds of ammunition.

Well, yesterday I personally saw something along the same lines (maybe?), only much closer to home. Let me explain. While driving along a multiple lane highway, a police car pulls up next to me. Normal looking police SUV; red & blue lights on the top and on the grill, big spot light on the driver's side door, heavy wire cage separating the front seat and back seat, large prominent markings that said "Police." I noticed it and did not think anything about it. Until I notice what "city" was marked on the vehicle.

Turns out, it was not a city (or county) at all. They were the police force for a water district! Yes, a water district. Not "security" for some special water treatment plant, not "code enforcement" to make sure people aren't watering their lawn during a drought - but POLICE - with cruisers and lights and badges and guns - for the Denton County Water District.

I did a little research and confirmed that they are a legal law enforcement (police) department for several unincorporated communities in Denton county in North Texas. The Denton County Water District being a SUD (Special Utility District) - that is, a separate taxing entity - apparently gives them authority to create their own police department with jurisdiction over anyone in that District. Yes, the Denton County Sheriff's Office has jurisdiction in all these areas, but the Water District thought they were being underserved by the DCSO, so they created their own police force.

Am I the only one who thinks this "police state" situation is getting out of hand? Am I being unreasonable to think this is just getting crazy? :confused5

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Who's Next?

Post by jason812 »

This is not suprising. The park rangers at Mother Neff have "State Police" on their trucks and are known to patrol the local back roads. Apparently the state government thought they needed more authority to search for picnic baskets. Problem is if you don't know about them and a white Ford pickup tries to pull you over, you might not realize they are a state agency.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

jason812 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:12 am This is not suprising. The park rangers at Mother Neff have "State Police" on their trucks and are known to patrol the local back roads. Apparently the state government thought they needed more authority to search for picnic baskets. Problem is if you don't know about them and a white Ford pickup tries to pull you over, you might not realize they are a state agency.
Are they Game Wardens or Park Rangers? State Game Wardens have State Police on their vehicles.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

My son in law was recently transferred from ICE to the FDA investigative unit. Still wears a gun and a badge.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

"Am I the only one who thinks this "police state" situation is getting out of hand? Am I being unreasonable to think this is just getting crazy?"

If the cop car that you saw happens to service "Lantana" - and they are paying for it - then I see it is probably a good thing. For many years, that community (right next to our gun range) was theoretically serviced by the SD - who was already spread pretty thin at times. Local police departments such as Argyle, Bartonville, Double Oak and/or Highland Village were having to be the FIRST responders to 911 calls and/or backup to the (often solo) deputy. Lots of risk and zero payment from an affluent community that is now up to 12,000 people in cookie cutter houses on postage stamp lots. People with lots of "domestic issues" that were being subsidized by the residents of local towns and cities that DO have a regular police force.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

jason812

Post by jason812 »

gtolbert09 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:25 am
jason812 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:12 am This is not suprising. The park rangers at Mother Neff have "State Police" on their trucks and are known to patrol the local back roads. Apparently the state government thought they needed more authority to search for picnic baskets. Problem is if you don't know about them and a white Ford pickup tries to pull you over, you might not realize they are a state agency.
Are they Game Wardens or Park Rangers? State Game Wardens have State Police on their vehicles.
As far as I know they are park rangers and drive white Ford 150 pickups. All the game wardens I have seen have the dark grey or green pickups. I have never seen or heard of a game warden make a traffic stop or setting on the side of the road watching traffic. I do know of 2 people that have been pulled over by these "state police," one being for having a license plate light out.

I could possibly understand if they needed arresting authority in a state park but its really just non sense in my opinion.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

There are so many different entities, that have, or can have, their own police departments. ISD, hospitals, colleges, and universities, utility districts, airports, transportation systems,, etc .. the list gets longer all the time. That's not even counting all of the Federal agencies.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Greybeard wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:27 am "Am I the only one who thinks this "police state" situation is getting out of hand? Am I being unreasonable to think this is just getting crazy?"

If the cop car that you saw happens to service "Lantana" - and they are paying for it - then I see it is probably a good thing. For many years, that community (right next to our gun range) was theoretically serviced by the SD - who was already spread pretty thin at times. Local police departments such as Argyle, Bartonville, Double Oak and/or Highland Village were having to be the FIRST responders to 911 calls and/or backup to the (often solo) deputy. Lots of risk and zero payment from an affluent community that is now up to 12,000 people in cookie cutter houses on postage stamp lots. People with lots of "domestic issues" that were being subsidized by the residents of local towns and cities that DO have a regular police force.
I don’t understand why an agency would respond to a call outside of their normal jurisdiction. I have called for LEOs twice and response time was 45 and 60 minutes. I was services by a State Trooper once and a Sheriffs Deputy once. I live out in the country by choice and I don’t expect to be serviced by a surrounding Police Department.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

DART and Metro have their own PD, School Districts have their own as well.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Jusme wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:36 am There are so many different entities, that have, or can have, their own police departments. ISD, hospitals, colleges, and universities, utility districts, airports, transportation systems,, etc .. the list gets longer all the time. That's not even counting all of the Federal agencies.
You are so right Jusme. A few years ago(like 4,5,6 maybe...maybe longer) our own srothstein listed allllll of the agencies that had their own 'police force(TCLOE certified), so this isn't a new topic, but warrants revisiting. Some entities that stick out in my mind: Texas & Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association, Texas State Board of Pharmacy. That's all I can recollect at this point. but I'm old and I've slept since then. :lol:

Maybe Steve will chime in & refresh my memory. :coolgleamA:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Water districts can be pretty powerful political entities. But it might be better than having a real city/town government. or even worse an HOA.

Kemahs Water diustrict runs and finances the Volunteer Fire Department.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

MustangGlocker

Post by MustangGlocker »

Tarrant Regional Water District has their own cops too. See them at Twin Points at Eagle Mountain Lake.
Patrick
NRA Life Member
Blue Lives Matter

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

thatguyoverthere wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:02 am A year or two ago we had all the discussion regarding why the IRS, the Social Security Administration, HUD, and many other Federal agencies needed to have their own internal police agencies, complete with tactical equipment, various rifles and other weapons and literally millions of rounds of ammunition.

Well, yesterday I personally saw something along the same lines (maybe?), only much closer to home. Let me explain. While driving along a multiple lane highway, a police car pulls up next to me. Normal looking police SUV; red & blue lights on the top and on the grill, big spot light on the driver's side door, heavy wire cage separating the front seat and back seat, large prominent markings that said "Police." I noticed it and did not think anything about it. Until I notice what "city" was marked on the vehicle.

Turns out, it was not a city (or county) at all. They were the police force for a water district! Yes, a water district. Not "security" for some special water treatment plant, not "code enforcement" to make sure people aren't watering their lawn during a drought - but POLICE - with cruisers and lights and badges and guns - for the Denton County Water District.

I did a little research and confirmed that they are a legal law enforcement (police) department for several unincorporated communities in Denton county in North Texas. The Denton County Water District being a SUD (Special Utility District) - that is, a separate taxing entity - apparently gives them authority to create their own police department with jurisdiction over anyone in that District. Yes, the Denton County Sheriff's Office has jurisdiction in all these areas, but the Water District thought they were being underserved by the DCSO, so they created their own police force.

Am I the only one who thinks this "police state" situation is getting out of hand? Am I being unreasonable to think this is just getting crazy? :confused5
This is one of the few "Police State" expansions over the years that I think and have thought for years maybe needed to be. I live in Angelina County, Deep East Texas, and there are a LOT of counties along the Louisiana line that are far less populated, scattered, and vulnerable even than we are here. Way before 9-11 when the talk was about terror attack in the US and different sights were named in the big city areas I was telling folks there was a worse way to just spread terror than even a big city attack on subways, airport,....
One terrorist in every state or almost if not every state. Plenty of planning time. Pick a date. Anywhere in the state pick an isolated rural water tower. There are numerous water towers in our area that are so isolated the only ones that even drive by them on any regular basis are the few that live on THAT road and the one person that checks them. One relatively small bomb to blow out one leg of the tower collapses the whole tower. Do it all on the same day in all 50 states. Don't even have to have it all at the same time of day. There are so many little community water systems in the rural counties of Texas there is no way to guard all of them. Some day I fear citizens will have to do that in these little places.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

thatguyoverthere wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:02 am A year or two ago we had all the discussion regarding why the IRS, the Social Security Administration, HUD, and many other Federal agencies needed to have their own internal police agencies, complete with tactical equipment, various rifles and other weapons and literally millions of rounds of ammunition.

I don't see an issue here. The DCSO is spread very thin and response times to emergencies are often very long. I think it's perfectly reasonable for the folks in a taxing district to decide they want better police response times and to do that by organizing their own small PD. In my mind, this is much different than the IRS, NOAA, the FDA and other federal agencies putting together tactical teams with advanced weapons and gear. It's hard to believe they're doing that to fight the weather or to smoke out unauthorized deductions on tax returns.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Bushwhacker

Post by Bushwhacker »

Excaliber wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:20 am I don't see an issue here. The DCSO is spread very thin and response times to emergencies are often very long. I think it's perfectly reasonable for the folks in a taxing district to decide they want better police response times and to do that by organizing their own small PD.
Sure. Fundamentally it's no different than getting together with some neighbors to enforce the law in our rural community. Like people did in the old days.
I prefer peace, but if trouble must come, let it be in my time that my children may know peace.

https://i.imgur.com/BcHTIe2.jpg

Return to “Off-Topic”