No place but Florida

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 55

Re: No place but Florida

Post by philip964 »

https://nypost.com/2023/06/27/florida-m ... d-charges/

Rich guy fires his AR15 30 times at his pool guy in his fenced backyard at night, pool guy failed to notify him that he was coming over, when he arrived very late.

Pool guy suffered minor injuries.

Rich guy took cover behind his couch inside the house to fire at the unarmed pool guy while his wife was calling 911 about an intruder. He fired through a window where the blinds were closed.

Rich guy is not being charged due to Florida stand your ground laws.

mayor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mayor »

philip964 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:12 pm https://nypost.com/2023/06/27/florida-m ... d-charges/

Rich guy fires his AR15 30 times at his pool guy in his fenced backyard at night, pool guy failed to notify him that he was coming over, when he arrived very late.

Pool guy suffered minor injuries.

Rich guy took cover behind his couch inside the house to fire at the unarmed pool guy while his wife was calling 911 about an intruder. He fired through a window where the blinds were closed.

Rich guy is not being charged due to Florida stand your ground laws.
Hmmm... What would happen in Texas? Do we need a stupid law?

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://reason.com/2024/02/14/a-florida ... atrol-car/

Acorn falling on his patrol vehicle causes officer to unload his gun on the car. Partner also shoots at car. Prisoner inside was not hurt.
Acorn falling on the car can make a big bang.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rafe »

This was not a laughable event, but caused me a chuckle because I've been twitchy about acorns myself. Never to the point of drawing down on one :mrgreen: but they've gotten my attention.

A few of the houses on my cul-de-sac street have large oak trees, including mine. Some folks park their cars and trucks in the driveway and along the street. Pickups in particular are of note. Last year was a bumper acorn crop, and they typically start falling in September-October; I think the heaviest droppage was October last year.

Trash day two times a week, and they come pretty promptly at 7:00 a.m. I'm almost always up before 5:00, and don't like to leave the trash at the curb overnight. So I usually wheel out the trash before 5:30 when all is dark and the streets are empty, and I usually walk the half-block away to check the mailbox at the same time (neighborhood "cluster" mailboxes, which I abhor).

It can't be mistaken for a gunshot for goodness sake, but on a dark, empty, and very quiet street an acorn dropping 20 feet into the bed of a Ford F-150 gets your attention. I do always carry on my trips to the mailbox, and even though I knew instantly what the sound was, it continued to put me on edge and cause me to take a good look around for about a month until the acorns had mostly completed their high-dive act. Maybe good situational awareness training? Take nothing for granted? ;-)
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Florida law allowing residents to stand their ground against ‘cocaine bears’ is one step closer to reality

https://www.foxnews.com/media/florida-l ... er-reality

Current law only allows stand your ground against humans.

Return to “Off-Topic”