The importance of Pre-existing Knowledge for SD

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The importance of Pre-existing Knowledge for SD

Post by Paladin »

The opening testimony sounds like something right out of Harold Fish's Story
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Very good read. Thanks.
NRA lifetime member

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Attorney Andrew Branca's blog covers the law of self defense in detail. It is worth the time.
https://lawofselfdefense.com/blog/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

AndyC wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:04 pm I know that Charles is very familiar with this concept but I'm not sure that a lot of folks here are, so here's an overview from Marc McYoung explaining why it's important:
Claiming self-defense is more than “I was afraid of being attacked.” You will have to explain and provide evidence about why there was a credible threat. That’s normally where the prosecutor will nail you, because most people can’t — even with self-defense training.
https://conflictmanagermagazine.com/the ... -macyoung/
The author is correct, however.....
The basis of the article assumes your attorney allows you to take the stand to be trapped by the prosecutor.
If my defense attorney cannot get expert witnesses to testify as to the necessity of my actions without putting me on the stand to be cut to pieces by a prosecutor then I’m getting a new attorney.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

ELB

Post by ELB »

Had I been smarter when I started out training seriously for SD I would have started a book where I put the various SD articles I've read, training certificates, etc. for exactly this purpose.
USAF 1982-2005

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by K.Mooneyham »

And, yet again, just something else to make me even more cynical about our so-called "justice" system, which is biased toward violent criminals. DAs and ADAs who consider good people with clean records to be guilty until they can prove they are innocent, while bending over backwards to let violent felons back out on the streets. I bet they all get a good laugh at all the lives of decent people they've ruined.

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

Let your attorney do your talking for you.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

AndyC wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:04 pm I know that Charles is very familiar with this concept but I'm not sure that a lot of folks here are, so here's an overview from Marc McYoung explaining why it's important:
Claiming self-defense is more than “I was afraid of being attacked.” You will have to explain and provide evidence about why there was a credible threat. That’s normally where the prosecutor will nail you, because most people can’t — even with self-defense training.
https://conflictmanagermagazine.com/the ... -macyoung/
credible threat that is immediate and imminent of causing crippling bodily injury or death. Bare fear is not an essential element to justifiable deadly force. Highly recommend taking Massad Ayoob's MAG-20 classroom course.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

DynamicDan wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:54 pm Let your attorney do your talking for you.
:iagree:

That's the thought I've had since the first post. If you're the defendant in a criminal trial and you're on the stand, you've proven two points.

1. You're a fool.
2. You hired a fool for an attorney.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

O.F.Fascist

Post by O.F.Fascist »

In our legal system the burden of proof is not supposed to be on the accused, the burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove every element of the crime.

O.F.Fascist

Post by O.F.Fascist »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:05 am And, yet again, just something else to make me even more cynical about our so-called "justice" system, which is biased toward violent criminals. DAs and ADAs who consider good people with clean records to be guilty until they can prove they are innocent, while bending over backwards to let violent felons back out on the streets. I bet they all get a good laugh at all the lives of decent people they've ruined.
Your mistake is referring to it as a "justice" system. If you don't have money any actual justice that happens is almost coincidental. What we have is merely a legal system.

Return to “Off-Topic”