Urban protection for women on the East Coast, LA or Chicago

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Urban protection for women on the East Coast, LA or Chicago

Post by philip964 »

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Urban protection for women on the East Coast, LA or Chicago

Post by Vol Texan »

philip964 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:09 pm https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... nt/590989/

Air pods.
I keep reading that article, hoping there would be a glimmer of reason contained within, but now I only wish there were a way to get my five minutes back.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

What this actually is is a sad statement. It says that a visible accessory is all of the protection the people in these places have against bad things happening to them. I'm guessing that there is one level of criminal that doesn't even know what an air pod is.(or doesn't care.) Serendipity is a great protector .....NOT!
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

philip964 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:09 pm https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... nt/590989/

Air pods.
Ummm, NO......now if somebody could/would invent and produce something that looked just like Apple earbuds or Beats Audio over the ear head phones that worked like electronic muffs so I could hear trouble approaching early and not lose my hearing when having to fire my EDC in enclosed spaces, I'd be willing to pay real money for it..... :thumbs2:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

flechero

Post by flechero »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:48 am Ummm, NO......now if somebody could/would invent and produce something that looked just like Apple earbuds or Beats Audio over the ear head phones that worked like electronic muffs so I could hear trouble approaching early and not lose my hearing when having to fire my EDC in enclosed spaces, I'd be willing to pay real money for it..... :thumbs2:
Walker's Game Ear has buds like you describe for hunting.

https://www.walkersgameear.com/silencer/

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

The message that I got:
women should make themselves safer by reducing their situational awareness and ignoring obvious threats.

There was also an underlying premise that white men are bad.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Those would do the job for us 'senor citizen' appearance types (they look like hearing aids). https://www.walkersgameear.com/neck-bands/ would be a better choice for the lower age groups who want the functionality while looking just like everybody else.....or who want to look like they CAN'T hear you.....
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

MaduroBU wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 am The message that I got:
women should make themselves safer by reducing their situational awareness and ignoring obvious threats.

There was also an underlying premise that white men are bad.
I traveled by my self by train at 1:30 in the morning out of Penn Central Station in NYC 25 years ago. A friend thought I was crazy and that I would die. The cabbie did not let me off at doors that were unlocked at that time of night. As I was trying to find a working entrance a pretty young woman by her self with luggage like me was also trying to find an unlocked door. I made some small talk about where the open door might be, thinking she might want to be seen not alone as we descended into a hell hole. But she seemed to feel I was a bad guy and kept her distance.
I had to descend further and further down into what was the worst place I have ever seen. I set up a defensive position with my back up against a wall suitcase behind my legs and tried to look as mean and bad as a 155 lb tourist can look in New York. As I waited for my train Cops were arresting people left and right, gangs were cruising the place looking for victims. Regulars circled those 8 person chair assemblies into defensive forts all facing inwards with no front gate.

Last time I saw the woman she was running up an escalator without her luggage. She needed those ear buds.

Return to “Off-Topic”