Oberlin College Forced To Pay Local Bakery $11 Million In Racial Hoax Defamation Case

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Oberlin College Forced To Pay Local Bakery $11 Million In Racial Hoax Defamation Case

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of c̶r̶e̶t̶i̶n̶s̶ folks.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Chemist45
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Oberlin College Forced To Pay Local Bakery $11 Million In Racial Hoax Defamation Case

Post by Chemist45 »

This needs to be the first of many lawsuits against colleges both public and private.
They don't get to pick sides without a penalty.

rotor

Post by rotor »

So the college may have to shell out some money but what about the individuals? Nothing will happen to the truly guilty people I would bet.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

rotor wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:47 pm So the college may have to shell out some money but what about the individuals? Nothing will happen to the truly guilty people I would bet.
True. The tenured indoctinators involved probably face no financial or professional penalties. They’re heroes to their peers.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

Is it wrong to pray they'll have to pay triple? :headscratch
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

ELB

Post by ELB »

rotor wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:47 pm So the college may have to shell out some money but what about the individuals? Nothing will happen to the truly guilty people I would bet.
Maybe, maybe not. I'm seeing articles that say the college's insurer says the awards are not covered. If Oberlin has to pay out of pocket for the current award and the possible $22M punitive award they will possibly have to close. They have significant financial difficulties already.

ETA: https://www.thenewneo.com/2019/06/08/ob ... uit-award/
USAF 1982-2005

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

ELB wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:54 am
Maybe, maybe not. I'm seeing articles that say the college's insurer says the awards are not covered. If Oberlin has to pay out of pocket for the current award and the possible $22M punitive award they will possibly have to close. They have significant financial difficulties already.

In the grander scheme of things, the closing of Oberlin College may be the best possible outcome. I see no other path to reining in the obviously out of control higher education establishment in this country. I'm not even sure that Oberlin closing will send that message loudly enough but it is at least a start. Educators and the organizations associated with them seem to operate with immunity from the consequences of any of their actions. Fixing that needs to start somewhere.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

The Annoyed Man

I noticed that Governor Abbott signed a bill a couple of days ago guaranteeing freedom of speech on college campuses: https://www.thecollegefix.com/texas-gov ... -campuses/. Among other things, it:
...also allows members of a university community “to assemble or distribute written material without a permit or other permission” from campus leaders. What’s more, it establishes “disciplinary sanctions for students, student organizations, or faculty who unduly interfere with the expressive activities of others on campus.”

Finally, it protects student organizations from denial of general university services based on the organization’s viewpoint. It also prevents universities from charging more in security fees from student organizations due to potentially controversial speakers.
Like he said, the 1st Amendment guarantees those rights, and he shouldn't have to take the step of signing this bill into law, but if that’s what’s necessary to protect a most fundamental liberty, then so be it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

ELB

Post by ELB »

chasfm11 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:51 am

In the grander scheme of things, the closing of Oberlin College may be the best possible outcome. I see no other path to reining in the obviously out of control higher education establishment in this country. I'm not even sure that Oberlin closing will send that message loudly enough but it is at least a start. Educators and the organizations associated with them seem to operate with immunity from the consequences of any of their actions. Fixing that needs to start somewhere.
Well...being forced to close may be overstating it, as it turns out that Oberlin is, shall we say, pretty well heeled. The lawyers went over Oberlin's IRS Form 990 with the jury yesterday to give the jury an idea of just how big a whack it will take for an award to actually be punitive. It turns out Oberlin has more than $1B in funds and net assets. Plus they have a bundle of people making hefty salaries. Oberlin claims they are cash poor and any award will hurt students by cutting down on the amount Oberlin provides in scholarships, but what they're really saying is they don't want to cut any administrators' pay nor do they want to dip into any of their investments. My reply to that is not within TexasCHLforum rules.

Closing arguments were this morning, and the jury is deliberating this afternoon.
USAF 1982-2005

The Annoyed Man

ELB wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:40 pm
chasfm11 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:51 am

Well...being forced to close may be overstating it, as it turns out that Oberlin is, shall we say, pretty well heeled. The lawyers went over Oberlin's IRS Form 990 with the jury yesterday to give the jury an idea of just how big a whack it will take for an award to actually be punitive. It turns out Oberlin has more than $1B in funds and net assets. Plus they have a bundle of people making hefty salaries. Oberlin claims they are cash poor and any award will hurt students by cutting down on the amount Oberlin provides in scholarships, but what they're really saying is they don't want to cut any administrators' pay nor do they want to dip into any of their investments. My reply to that is not within TexasCHLforum rules.

Closing arguments were this morning, and the jury is deliberating this afternoon.
Thanks for the follow up. I’m curious about what the jury will decide.

#TINVOWOOT

DocV

Post by DocV »

And, the jury decision is in. Punitive damages of 22 Million - whoops, make that 33 million. Wow!

The Annoyed Man

DocV wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:32 pm And, the jury decision is in. Punitive damages of 22 Million - whoops, make that 33 million. Wow!
https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/06/o ... kery-case/

#TINVOWOOT

ELB

Post by ELB »

DocV wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:32 pm And, the jury decision is in. Punitive damages of 22 Million - whoops, make that 33 million. Wow!
Punitive damages are limited by law to *only* $22M.

Compensatory damages are $11M.

$33M is the total.

And off to the appeals court they go...
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Off-Topic”