Global Warming/Global Cooling/Climate Change

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Rafe
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Global Warming/Global Cooling/Climate Change

Post by Rafe »

philip964 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:43 pm Biden doing his climate change speech live right now.

Before I had to switch live feeds, he said people were staying indoors this year because of poor air quality.
FACT CHECK

Joe Biden: "People were staying indoors this year because of poor air quality."

RESPONSE: VERIFIED!

If someone who has COVID-19 sneezes in your face, the resultant air quality is in fact poor. We are also awaiting comment from Dr. Jill Biden on the medical specifics of this issue since none other than the erudite Whoopi Goldberg has stated that Dr. Jill should be the new Surgeon General of the United States because she's such an amazing doctor.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 2farnorth »

My understanding is "Dr. JILL" is not a medical doctor . I believe it was a degree in the education field. Wouldn't want her diagnosing anything if she can't see Joe's problems. I heard a report this AM that questioned the validity of her defgree,

Edit: people are staying indoors because the state go vs are shut most ever thing down and there are few places to go.
N5PNZ

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 13

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

2farnorth wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:03 pm My understanding is "Dr. JILL" is not a medical doctor . I believe it was a degree in the education field. Wouldn't want her diagnosing anything if she can't see Joe's problems. I heard a report this AM that questioned the validity of her defgree,

Edit: people are staying indoors because the state go vs are shut most ever thing down and there are few places to go.
A few weeks ago the leftist mob went after a reporter that made mention of the same thing.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by NotRPB »

Hmmm
vaccine must be transported with dry ice
So if
1 dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide
2 as dry ice "melts" it fogs or vaporizes into carbon dioxide vapor which will cause global warming ...
so
3 the ice warms the planet? :roll:
so
Covid cures (vaccines) are causing global warming?

Shouldn't those wanting to lower their carbon footprint worried about Global warming refuse vaccines in order to ...save the planet and stuff and junk?
:biggrinjester: :roll: :lol::

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 13

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Rafe wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:57 pm Whoopi Goldberg has stated that Dr. Jill should be the new Surgeon General of the United States because she's such an amazing doctor.
I really believe being brain dead is a prerequisite to being a leftist scum.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

2farnorth wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:03 pm My understanding is "Dr. JILL" is not a medical doctor . I believe it was a degree in the education field. Wouldn't want her diagnosing anything if she can't see Joe's problems. I heard a report this AM that questioned the validity of her degree,
Yeppers! I laid into that one last Thursday here on here on the forum. You should read her dissertation (I linked to it there...assuming the lib machine hasn't already taken down the paper). I'd have an easier time believing it was a 10th-grade high school thesis. It's that bad.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 75

Post by philip964 »

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.reuters.com/article/climate ... SL8N2JO50G

Greta Thunberg to feature on a new Swedish stamp.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

The number of environmentalists who are sick of the climate change alarmists is quickly rising, because crying wolf is a sure way to turn lay people who cannot independently evaluate the evidence against the broader cause. I stopped looking at temperature data a long time ago because there are so many instances of retroactive and obvious "adjustment" to turn the curve into a linear increase over the past 80 years.

The Earth is something like 4.5 billion years old and has had an atmosphere for maybe 4 billion of that (obvious guesses based upon geology, nobody was there). We have temperature and CO2 data from ice cores going back 400,000 years. That is 0.001% of the history of Earth's atmosphere. Further, our data on sun spots and more broadly on the energy imparted to the Earth by the sun goes back 400 years (with fragmentary evidence going back ~2300 years) or 0.0000001% of the history of the Earth's atmosphere. Further, our ability to piece together the relationship between volcanic events and global temperature remains nearly absent, as science still argues about the atmospheric effects of large eruptions in recent history (Thera, Taupo, Baekdu, Samalas and Tambora).

The one number that I watch is oceanic pH. High school chemistry teaches us that a giant, buffered system like the ocean can absorb enormous amounts of acid or base (in this case CO2 in the form of H2CO3<=>H+HCO3, so tiny changes in pH are worrisome. Further, because the numbers are tiny and most folks don't understand logarithmic scales, there is little incentive to doctor the data. We are adding amounts of CO2 to the Earth's atmosphere in a way that has changed the CO2 concentration in the air and dissolved in the oceans in ways that we haven't seen for at least 400,000 years, and changing how we interact with fossil fuels (essentially stored up solar energy) is likely wise from a CO2 and "finite resource" perspective. However, the alarmism and invented certainty that we see today from certain people is bravado, not science. The most scientific phrase of all is "I don't know", not "my best guess is."

The current fad of treating climate scientists as modern prophets rather than a sober appraisal of what they can actually prove is troubling, and the correct answer is to demand proof, not to dismiss their findings. The unintended consequence of demanding belief in oneself based upon one's credentials rather than one's evidence is that people can dismiss or accept one's claims as though they were a unified whole. "Science denial" is bad, but it is the same variety of error as "Science belief"; a sober appraisal and constant re-appraisal of the data is what gives science its explanatory power, not "they've been right before, so I be they're right now."

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Published yesterday:

Early COVID-19 lockdowns had less impact on urban air quality than first believed

https://phys.org/news/2021-01-early-cov ... urban.html

Mike S
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mike S »

MaduroBU wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:40 am The number of environmentalists who are sick of the climate change alarmists is quickly rising, because crying wolf is a sure way to turn lay people who cannot independently evaluate the evidence against the broader cause. I stopped looking at temperature data a long time ago because there are so many instances of retroactive and obvious "adjustment" to turn the curve into a linear increase over the past 80 years.

The Earth is something like 4.5 billion years old and has had an atmosphere for maybe 4 billion of that (obvious guesses based upon geology, nobody was there). We have temperature and CO2 data from ice cores going back 400,000 years. That is 0.001% of the history of Earth's atmosphere. Further, our data on sun spots and more broadly on the energy imparted to the Earth by the sun goes back 400 years (with fragmentary evidence going back ~2300 years) or 0.0000001% of the history of the Earth's atmosphere. Further, our ability to piece together the relationship between volcanic events and global temperature remains nearly absent, as science still argues about the atmospheric effects of large eruptions in recent history (Thera, Taupo, Baekdu, Samalas and Tambora).

The one number that I watch is oceanic pH. High school chemistry teaches us that a giant, buffered system like the ocean can absorb enormous amounts of acid or base (in this case CO2 in the form of H2CO3<=>H+HCO3, so tiny changes in pH are worrisome. Further, because the numbers are tiny and most folks don't understand logarithmic scales, there is little incentive to doctor the data. We are adding amounts of CO2 to the Earth's atmosphere in a way that has changed the CO2 concentration in the air and dissolved in the oceans in ways that we haven't seen for at least 400,000 years, and changing how we interact with fossil fuels (essentially stored up solar energy) is likely wise from a CO2 and "finite resource" perspective. However, the alarmism and invented certainty that we see today from certain people is bravado, not science. The most scientific phrase of all is "I don't know", not "my best guess is."

The current fad of treating climate scientists as modern prophets rather than a sober appraisal of what they can actually prove is troubling, and the correct answer is to demand proof, not to dismiss their findings. The unintended consequence of demanding belief in oneself based upon one's credentials rather than one's evidence is that people can dismiss or accept one's claims as though they were a unified whole. "Science denial" is bad, but it is the same variety of error as "Science belief"; a sober appraisal and constant re-appraisal of the data is what gives science its explanatory power, not "they've been right before, so I be they're right now."
Very well stated. :tiphat:

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/john-k ... mate-award

Climate Tzar took private jet to Iceland to receive climate award.

Move along nothing to see here.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.opindia.com/2021/02/greta-t ... -protests/

Greta fermenting world anger against India's government to support farmers there.

Sounds like she is moving beyond Climate to be the first world leader.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Some of us knew that this was the next step. The Covid emergency was just a test.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB1doumc
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 12

Post by powerboatr »

chasfm11 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:15 pm Some of us knew that this was the next step. The Covid emergency was just a test.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB1doumc
yep the jessie smollet AOC is pushing hard for this
schumer made that statement last week so biden could bypass congress, which of course gets them off the hook

we need to press every politician at how and why jets are bad and yet they still use them???
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “Off-Topic”