Anti drone equipment

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

snorri
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anti drone equipment

Post by snorri »

Drones are fun. OP should get one.

And if the perv damages OP's drone over OP's property, demand the DOJ prosecute the pervy felon.
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

One of the most frequently asked questions in Texas regarding drone use is, “Can I shoot down a drone over my property?”

The short answer, according to Lashmet, is it’s best not to.

“We don’t really know exactly how the law regarding trespass is going to work. We don’t know how drones are going to be treated,”
Lashmet said. “Don’t try to take the law into your own hands.”

There are civil claims like trespass and nuisance that can be brought against a drone that is flying over private property.

“There’s actually a statute in Texas that deals with drones and privacy rights. That statute says that drones can’t be used to conduct surveillance against another person or their property,” Lashmet said. “Under that statute, people could actually bring a lawsuit and seek to collect damages or there can be criminal prosecution for the drone user.”

In Texas, there are 21 lawful drone uses spelled out in statute.

The trouble with shooting down a drone is you never know if the drone is flying legally or not. So it’s best not to shoot them down.

“We want to be careful. I understand the importance of private property rights, and there are definitely some legal ways to protect that, but you don’t want to be the person who ends up in trouble for bringing a drone out of the sky and the next thing you know, you’re facing litigation or criminal charges,” Lashmet said. “Drones are regulated by the FAA, and what we don’t want is for somebody to be charged with shooting down an aircraft and the kind of repercussions that can come with that.”

http://texasfarmbureau.org/flying-withi ... f-the-law/
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmorris »

Grumpy1993 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:04 am
G.A. Heath wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:10 am The FAA regulates drones as aircraft and you should know that even threatening to intentionally damage or destroy an aircraft is a federal felony. Actually doing so is also a federal felony. The feds have yet to prosecute someone for doing so yet, however there is word that the FAA is working with the parties in the DOJ to change that number from zero.

My advice is contact your local LEOs and file a complaint citing Texas Government Code 423. The same statute also gives you Civil remedies as well and I am certain there is at least one attorney in Texas willing to establish themselves as the "Drone Lawyer" or some such.

Edit to add: Location is important too, if you live near an airport determine what class airspace you are in and you might find the remote pilot is flying illegally, especially if they are operating as a hobbyist. Drone regulations are very fluid right now, especially for hobbyist pilots.

For the record I am an FAA part 107 certified remote pilot.
First, as suggested above, you should contact your local LEOs and file a complaint citing Texas Government Code 423.

Second, every time your wife sees the drone, she should call 911 to report a "Peeping Tom" spying on her sunbathing inside her privacy fence. Texas Penal Code § 21.17

Third, if "FAA regulates drones as aircraft" then you should contact the FAA whenever your neighbor flies his aircraft within 500 feet of you, your wife, or your home. Tell them an aircraft is not maintaining safe distance and you want to report a violation of Federal Aviation Regulation § 91.119, to wit: "the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure"
So I asked the drone folks at the FAA. FAR 91.119 does not apply because of rules in 14 CFR Part 107. I'm a recreational drone pilot and I find that sometimes normal aircraft rules apply and sometimes drone rules apply. Such as the operator being referred to as Pilot in Command or if fired upon, and in others as a unique thing, such as the above.

For a recreational flyer, there is a 400' above ground level ceiling[1] and the drone must stay within visual range. So those rules alone say 91.119 is not going to apply.

[1] Flying over a building the 400' is added to the building height.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Grumpy1993
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Grumpy1993 »

If you're saying a drone isn't always an aircraft when it comes to them following the rules, maybe a drone isn't always an aircraft when it comes to others following the rules. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the courts say about it.

But I do like the idea of sailor2000 getting his own drone and flying it over his own property. :evil2:
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 5

Post by G.A. Heath »

A drone is an aircraft regulated under part 107 of the FAA rules, not part 91.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Grumpy1993
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Grumpy1993 »

Grumpy1993 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:04 am Second, every time your wife sees the drone, she should call 911 to report a "Peeping Tom" spying on her sunbathing inside her privacy fence. Texas Penal Code § 21.17
Forgot to mention, but if you have young relatives who use your pool, the Peeping Tom is committing "a state jail felony if the victim was a child younger than 14 years of age"

Most peace officers in Texas are willing to protect underage girls from sexual predators, so that's one way to get more traction, if needed.
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

Topic author
sailor2000
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sailor2000 »

Follow up. We spoke to an adult in the house and the drone has not reappeared.
It is useless for the Sheep to circulate petitions calling for universal vegetarianism while the Wolves hold a different opinion.
NRA Endowment Member

http://www.senioranswer.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Grayling813 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:53 pm There was an interesting video presentation I saw a while back by a network security guy whose neighbor's kid was using his drone camera to look into windows of houses. He found open ports on the network that the drone/controller used, was able to connect to the drone and take control of it. He downloaded all of the pictures/videos on the camera and confronted the parents of the kid with it.
I love that. It’s brilliant. :thumbs2:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

:roll: Squawk squawk...rule #4, rule #4, squawk....
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:48 pm
Grayling813 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:53 pm There was an interesting video presentation I saw a while back by a network security guy whose neighbor's kid was using his drone camera to look into windows of houses. He found open ports on the network that the drone/controller used, was able to connect to the drone and take control of it. He downloaded all of the pictures/videos on the camera and confronted the parents of the kid with it.
Yes but you see by connecting to the drone he was breaking federal wiretap laws and causing damage to an aircraft, both federal felonies. :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ScottDLS wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:53 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:48 pm
Yes but you see by connecting to the drone he was breaking federal wiretap laws and causing damage to an aircraft, both federal felonies. :biggrinjester:
And if he’s that good of a hacker, he’s not worried about getting caught. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

sailor2000 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:29 pm .... Is the use of one of these drone catchers illegal in Texas? ...I have spoken to the little perv but to no effect. Easy shot with a .410 but I hear that is frowned upon. I bet I could get it with a pellet rifle. ....
Bolas = a lot cheaper and easier. Due to the legal reasons cited in this thread, I'm not advocating for the use of that device or any other device - I'm just saying that if someone was GOING to bring down a drone, that mechanical DIY device shown in the video is about ten thousand times more elaborate and expensive than it would need to be to get the job done.

A drone that crashed in someone's back yard may have simply crashed for whatever reason, perhaps unskillful operation on the part of the pilot. If its memory card was wiped out in the process, then it might not show the reason why it crashed.

Malawler

Post by Malawler »

If the drone gets close enough, you could try one of those water hose nozzles that squirts far.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

Malawler wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:30 am If the drone gets close enough, you could try one of those water hose nozzles that squirts far.
Interesting idea. Setup an oscillating sprinkler on a remote. It flies too low, it gets wet.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

loktite

Post by loktite »

Flightmare wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:35 am Interesting idea. Setup an oscillating sprinkler on a remote. It flies too low, it gets wet.
you mean like a souped up version of this?

NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”