Breaking: Marijuana accidentally made legal in Texas

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Breaking: Marijuana accidentally made legal in Texas

Post by WildBill »

jb2012 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:01 pm
philip964 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:32 am
WildBill wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:08 am
philip964 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:53 pm https://www.click2houston.com/news/crim ... lf-freeway

228 pounds of pot. 70 pounds of THC gummies found during traffic stop on Gulf freeway.

I guess they will spend the $400 for the outside testing.

Interesting no penalties for personal use amounts will increase pressure on suppliers like this.
I'd be interested in seeing the test results for the gummies to see if they are really THC.
It seems that who ever makes these would have to run tests of their ingredients to get the proper strength.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeadams/ ... ck-market/

The gummies could have anything in them including fentanyl.

Apparently this is a problem, there is no quality control on illegal drugs. Thus with this hemp change we may see more use of Pot with no quality controls, so accidental overdoses or other issues could occur.
There is no such thing as a marijuana “overdose”.
Not a fatal overdose.
https://www.drugrehab.com/addiction/dru ... /overdose/
NRA Endowment Member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

WildBill wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:44 pm
RoyGBiv wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:30 pm
Rob72 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:52 am
RoyGBiv wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:21 am
I LOL'd at this bit....
Stout said it can cost between $500,000 and $600,000 for a lab to purchase the equipment needed to test concentration levels. He said it then takes between nine and 12 months of validation and accreditation before a lab is certified to test for THC concentration levels.
Back in the day I ran a drugs of abuse testing facility. Unless costs have skyrocketed (they haven't), one set of equipment to "determine" (not "test") concentration of THC in a sample should cost less than $100,000 (~75K plus supplies). Except maybe if you're a government purchasing entity. LOL.

ETA: https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/86R/b ... 01325F.htm
The language pertaining to Consumable Hemp is down near the bottom.
NIDA or SAMHSA certified? Medico-legal certification is substantially different than simply presence/absence standards.
NIDA.

You can buy an Agilent GC/MS for about $75k, last time I checked.

I especially enjoyed buying material to make standards. <$10 for 50 grams of pure cocaine. From a catalog, like buying from Sears. :lol:
Of course you needed a license for it... but... still was amusing.
In addition to analytical instruments, there is a lot of infrastructure required to certify and maintain the lab.
I can believe an initial cost of $500K for setting up the lab. Also you need a trained staff to manage the lab, chemists,
technicians, computers, etc. That could easily cost $400K per year.
True. And if you do screening by RIA, those instruments can be spendy.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jb2012 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:01 pm There is no such thing as a marijuana “overdose”.
Of course there is.....just not in the sense you’re thinking of. It just may not be possible to receive a lethal dose, but there all all kinds of ways of categorizing overdoses. I remember one of the ER docs I used to work with telling me that it’s almost impossible to take enough Valium to kill yourself; but you might could take enough to be out of it for a week. That would be an overdose, since it is well beyond any clinically recommended dose, and being out of it for a week can easily be considered an undesirable result.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”