Ross Perot death

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
2farnorth
Posts in topic: 6

Ross Perot death

Post by 2farnorth »

89 year old Ross Perot has died. I worked directly for him from 88 to 95. I loved him dearly as boss, businessman, and a friend. He has been a blessing to our country and my family. RIP.
N5PNZ

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ross Perot death

Post by der Teufel »

While Ross Perotv was undoubtedly an honorable person, I will always remember him as the man who, through his third party candidacy, put Bill Clinton into the White House.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

der Teufel wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:37 pm While Ross Perotv was undoubtedly an honorable person, I will always remember him as the man who, through his third party candidacy, put Bill Clinton into the White House.
Ill-informed, follow the crowd, can't think for themselves voters put Clinton in the White House. I do believe the country learned its lesson and voted for another non-traditional yet outspoken and successful businessman, Trump, in the last election. Perot does not own the short-sightedness of the voting base IMHO.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

der Teufel wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:37 pm While Ross Perotv was undoubtedly an honorable person, I will always remember him as the man who, through his third party candidacy, put Bill Clinton into the White House.
:iagree:

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Certainly Perot contributed to Clinton winning, but George HW Bush’s “read my lips” failure was the primary cause. If Bush had lead the country like Reagan, Perot probably wouldn’t have been running.

RIP Mr. Perot.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

Grayling813 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:16 pm
Certainly Perot contributed to Clinton winning, but George HW Bush’s “read my lips” failure was the primary cause. If Bush had lead the country like Reagan, Perot probably wouldn’t have been running.

RIP Mr. Perot.
I always wondered whether, if Perot didn't loose his cool, drop out, cool off and get back in the race that year, would he have won. He certainly had momentum until he lost his cool.

I will always remember him as the guy that put up his own money to send aid to POW's, fund POW searches and held direct talks with the Vietnamese Government in attempts to account for Vietnam War MIA's. Not to mention his actions to rescue his employees caught up in the Iranian revolution in 79.

He wasn't perfect, but who is?

RIP Mr Perot. :patriot:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:26 pm

RIP Mr. Perot.
I always wondered whether, if Perot didn't loose his cool, drop out, cool off and get back in the race that year, would he have won. He certainly had momentum until he lost his cool.

I will always remember him as the guy that put up his own money to send aid to POW's, fund POW searches and held direct talks with the Vietnamese Government in attempts to account for Vietnam War MIA's. Not to mention his actions to rescue his employees caught up in the Iranian revolution in 79.

Excellent points.

The media was pretty rough on him. I can understand him loosing his cool.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:29 pmThe media was pretty rough on him. I can understand him loosing his cool.
Imagine him running in today's media environment!!

He'd surely go full-auto. In a good way. :cool:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

der Teufel wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:37 pm

:iagree:
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

While I don't have much recollection of the Vietnam POW rescue stories, I'll never forget reading Ken Follett's book On Wings of Eagles, which tells the tale of Ross Perot's funded mission to rescue his own execs from Iran.

I respect how he wouldn't let his own people down, and put his money where his mouth is.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

easy10

Post by easy10 »

He bought a country club and turned it into his corp. headquarters. It was a beautiful campus. All the security guards were former military. On Wings of Eagles was the movie where Bull Simmons freed the employees in Iran.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Not H. Ross's fault we got monsters like the Clintons foisted upon us. Blame the voters and H.W.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I voted for him.

I had forgotten what a cool guy he was. Got his employees rescued from a jail in Iran.

I think went against advice and was on the helicopter that picked them up inside Iran.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

IIRC, he railed against the NAFTA agreement....the sound of American jobs being sucked southward.

But as a good businessman, he hedged his bets. The Alliance area of Fort Worth contains Alliance Airport, and a lot of other infrastructure, which enables both domestic businesses and those engaged in international business. He didn't want NAFTA, but after it passed, he didn't miss any meals either.

Also, IIRC, he developed the very upscale residential neighborhood of Willow Bend in Plano, TX. I believe other prescient land purchases were along the Dallas North Tollway, as it continues its relentless completion to connect Dallas to the Red River.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
2farnorth
Posts in topic: 6

Post by 2farnorth »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:29 pm

RIP Mr. Perot.

Excellent points.

The media was pretty rough on him. I can understand him loosing his cool.

Mr Perot did not lose his cool, but that is what the rotten media and BIG money in NYC want you to believe. He had a meeting with someone/s up in NYC the day before and when he got home he was visibly shaken. When he left for the office the next morning he told me, " _____ , don't believe what you hear in the news today". Only his family knows for sure who he met with but it was kinda obvious that he was told he would drop out or else. A threat to the family is '"assumed" . A threat to him personally would not have succeeded. He was not an easy/soft target

His daughters wedding was shortly there after. That was as big a show of civilian force as I have seen. He had every available off duty uniformed police officer he could get plus all the private security that was not on duty at the homes. Plus there were plain clothes officers mixed in with the security staff. Previous weddings were not like that. After the wedding he re-entered the race.
I was there an those are the facts as I know them. Draw your own conclusions.

During that campaign I became well acquainted with how slimy and uncouth the media really is. I saw facts twisted, half truths, and stupid stunts pulled by those educated buffoons. Too this day I refuse all contact with the media liars and spinners.
N5PNZ

Return to “Off-Topic”